Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remlit has suspected E.C =( What can I do? /UD RIP Remlit =(

+11
gentl
Vince the bunny
paullp
Thumper2001
Sparky
KatieB
Rachel&Nibbler
SarahJane
Tuckerbunnies
fiver
Wizzy
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Remlit has suspected E.C =( What can I do? /UD RIP Remlit =( - Page 2 Empty Re: Remlit has suspected E.C =( What can I do? /UD RIP Remlit =(

Post by fiver Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:57 am

Wizzy wrote:I will stay with you, as you have all been a great help to me over the last night! Smile And I'd be very happy to point any other rabbit owners to the site!

I won't be getting another rabbit though for a long long while Crying or Very sad
Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Remlit has suspected E.C =( What can I do? /UD RIP Remlit =( - Page 2 Empty Re: Remlit has suspected E.C =( What can I do? /UD RIP Remlit =(

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss

Binky free little Remlit x
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Wizzy wrote:I will stay with you, as you have all been a great help to me over the last night! Smile And I'd be very happy to point any other rabbit owners to the site!

I won't be getting another rabbit though for a long long while Crying or Very sad

Thats okay, you are welcome to be a part of this forum regardless of whether you bring another rabbit into your life or not. It also is a great place to learn more and more about them, which is beneficial if you ever do decide to cross that bridge. I am glad that you werent alone in losing Remlit, and that we were able to support you because the support system on here is amazing, the support I get for Domino is incredible.

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm so sorry To hear you lost your little boy. I'm sending lots of love your way.

Sleep tight little chap xxxxxxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that you lost your little guy - you were obviously battling so hard for him Sad Hugs

The vet's action really concerns me, and if you feel up to it, I would recommend that you speak to the head vet or practice manager. 'Trancing' a rabbit actually puts them under a great deal of stress and should be avoided, especially in a bunny who is already unwell. The temperature of a bun can easily be taken with the bun being held still in normal crouching position.

I'm glad you found us and hope you stick around. When you're ready for another bun, we'll help you find the right one and take good care of him Hugs Hugs Hugs

Binky free Remlit Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Aww Sad What a sad thread Crying or Very sad I'm so sorry that you lost your little man Hugs

Sleep well Remlit x
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 pm

So so sorry to hear this. Binky free in the warm sunshine at the bridge Remlit Hugs Hugs
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes and support Smile Hugs You've all been amazing! Hugs

Sparky: The vet he saw this morning was already the head vet/manager there and I'm hoping that he's taken this case to heart, as Remlit was really not happy with it and I think it was a shock for him too!

Btw, if I wash all his towels and blankets, would they be safe to use again? And would bleaching his cage and toys ensure they are all safe? I'm hoping to donate some of his things to the local rescue and the doe I was hoping he would bond to - but don't want them to get ill too!

There's a panacur syringe too - If I clean the nib would it be okay use again, despite the fact he's used it twice?

I'll keep big things like the cage and stuff though, ready for that one day.. =')

Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 pm

I just caught up with your thread about Remlit (what a fabulous name) I am so very sorry to hear about your loss, this so very sad Sad

Please do hang about, even if only lurking, as we are very friendly forum, and should you ever wish to own a bunny again, we will be here for you to help and support you Hugs

Personally I would chuck out the toys and blankets, I am not sure about the cage, seems a bit wasteful to chuck it out if bleaching will be safe, but I'm sure another member will be able to advise you.

Once again, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, sending hugs to you at this sad time Hugs
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Very sorry to hear about this. I would seriously consider putting a complaint in writing to the practice just saying I know that what you did was well intentioned but misguided and that maybe they should sharpen up their rabbit skills. Maybe point them in the direction of the RWAF for further information.

You can clean the cage out with a weak solution of biological washing powder/liquid. It should get all residual germs. Anything that can be washed at 90 degrees should be ok to reuse and again use biological detergent. Get rid of any toys and the syringe.

Hugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:17 am

Glad you are staying on the forum Wizzy Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:04 am

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Remlit. My Thumper died this week too. Perhaps they will arrive at the Bridge and find the other HH bunnies together.

Binky free beloved Remlit. Binky forever free! cheers
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:44 am

Hi again, everyone,

What can I do about the carpet?
He was allowed to run around on the floor, as while ill, it was the only thing that perked him up and for a while gave him appetite to eat and keep going =(

He was toilet trained so there's no urine, and it's been hoovered. How long can the spores last? Everything else has been thrown/killed with bleach.

Binky free Thumper Smile Binky free with Remlit and the other bunnies! Hugs
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:27 pm

ive only just seen this,iam so sorry for your loss,glad your going to stay,this really is a fab place,hope your ok

binky free little one
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:55 pm

I have only just seen this too love, I am so very sorry.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm not sure about the carpet Hmmm

Steam cleaning? If your carpet can cope with that. Not sure if your vet might be able to tell you the life cycle of the parasite and how long it can live in carpet.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm sorry I've only just seen this, and I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Remlit Hugs

It sounds as though your vet needs brushing up on their rabbit skills. I agree in that if and when you feel ready you should write a letter of complaint to the practice as well as pointing them towards the RWAF.

I'm so glad you're staying with us, HH is a lovely forum and people are so supportive and helpful here!

Binky free Remlit. Thinking of you Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks sparky and Fluffslave! =)

I will definitely not get another for another month or so (probably for a few years!) , by which time the spores will probably have all died, so hopefully the carpet won't need the full out steam treatment. He was toilet trained too, so it's unlikely that there are many spores there anyway =)

I will get round to writing a letter - I'm usually the sort of person who hates to make a fuss, but I'd rather they didn't try to trance another rabbit =( I'll have a word to one of my friend's who is close to all the vets there!
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm

I still feel really guilty over this... I feel I should have done more but I really don't know what!

I just feel like I failed him =(

I know it's probably the wrong place to post, sorry!
Just wondering if anyone else feels the same, or has advice for next time, or something =$
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:49 pm

I think with any loss you feel guilty, you think , could I have done more. I lsot a rabbit in 2009 and he had an abscess in his hock and after 3 ops , he just gave up. But...when I put him to sleep he was still so bright in his character, I often wondered if I did the right thing. The guilt plays on you. And,since then I have seen rabbits with HUGE abscesses in their hocks, or other places and they survive it. And it makes me wonder if I let him down, but.....every rabbit is different. They all cope differently and there is nothing I did wrong, there is nothing you did wrong either.

They say with poorly bunnies the biggest battle is getting them to eat, and if Remlit wasn't eating then you had two battles. Gut sasis AND E.C, and thats just so difficult to cope with.

The parasite attacks rabbits in different ways, even in different places in their body so you cant compare it. I have been speaking to people whose rabbits have E.C and it came on gradually over a few days with some, and some like Domino where it hits them full force with no gradual decline in health.

You did everything you could with Remlit, and guilt is a part of grieving so it is natural you feel this way - but it wasnt your fault. x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Please try not to blame yourself too much.

You did everything you could for Remlit in his last few days, and I'm sure he knows and appreciates it.

Everyone could question whether they did enough, could they have done more, did they do the right thing? But no matter what you do, you will always question whether it is the right decision.

You gave Remlit a wonderful life and he knows that. He is up at Rainbow Bridge now with all of the other buns watching down on you Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks FluffSlave and SarahJane =)

I think it'll take some time to get over him, and gain my confidence back - I'm really scared about it happening again...

I'm warning any bunny slaves I know to look into worming their pets - I wish I had done so with Remlit =(
But if i hadn't taken him to the vets on that final morning, maybe he would have pulled through! =/
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Even with worming them its not a guarentee though, I mean I havent wormed my buns in ages , I last did it when they were a trio which was three years ago, because i was bonding them. Maybe thats wrong but equally, if you worm them every year - you could still get caught out etc. And vets have such contradictory advice regarding wormers, it really isnt something you can blame yourself for.

With Domino we are saying E.C but we dont know 100% because he hasnt had bloods, because essentially.....what difference does it make if its E.C or an ear infection that got out of control? For all we know he could have had a stroke. It doesnt, and whichever it is, I dont blame myself because there is just too many potential scenarios.
We just have to do our best for our bunnies, but we cant stop bad things happening. xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Please don't blame yourself Hun. We all do the best we can, and thats all we can do. It's how they lived that's important xxxxxxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks everyone Hugs Smile
Wizzy
Wizzy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next