Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loss of Confidence

3 posters

Go down

Loss of Confidence Empty Loss of Confidence

Post by Sweetpea Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:05 pm

Charlie has head tilt - remnants of an ear infection last year - He is a house bunny but when we can we let him outside with us, however, he never wants to come out of his box anymore - I think he has lost all his confidence. Any tips on how to get him out and enjoying the fresh air??
Sweetpea
Sweetpea
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Loss of Confidence Empty Re: Loss of Confidence

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:15 pm

When you let him out with you is he being offered the run of the entire garden? If so that can be quite intimidating to a prey animal, especially one who is a little disadvantaged.

Rabbit's are naturally agorophobic and love to have familiar surroundings because they can identify 'safe' area's and bolt holes to escape to if danger threatens. I would try letting im out little and often in a sectioned area of the garden providing some boxes and tunnels for him to hide in.

It will take time but should help boost his confidence once he feels secure in his environment.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:55 am

Sooz wrote:When you let him out with you is he being offered the run of the entire garden? If so that can be quite intimidating to a prey animal, especially one who is a little disadvantaged.

Rabbit's are naturally agorophobic and love to have familiar surroundings because they can identify 'safe' area's and bolt holes to escape to if danger threatens. I would try letting im out little and often in a sectioned area of the garden providing some boxes and tunnels for him to hide in.

It will take time but should help boost his confidence once he feels secure in his environment.

Yes, I agree with Sooz. He probably knows he is at a disadvantage with his still slightly tilted head so he will feel even more vulnerable.
A smaller area with hidey-holes will definately help. If he is used to 'indoor sounds' like a Radio then outdoors will 'sound' a bit scary to him too. So a bit of music next to his run will help !!

Janex

Back to top Go down

Post by Faunus Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:38 pm

I agree, if you can put familiar objects in the area that might help as well.

Good Luck
Faunus
Faunus
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.bmdshare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content