Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbit insurance prices

+7
Lil & Ron's Mum
Sparky
KatieB
fiver
NickieM
Thumper2001
lizzi_b
11 posters

Go down

Rabbit insurance prices  Empty Rabbit insurance prices

Post by lizzi_b Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Hey all I know this is a topic that has been much talked about but I just want to ask people if they would mind sharing who they insure their buns with and how much it costs per month?

I just got a letter today from pet plan as I apparently had 28 days free cover with them for adopting Miffy from te RSPCA, but the letter only just arrived today and it expires tomorrow! How convenient!

Anyway I rang up to see how much it would cost to carry on insurance for Miffy and they said £20 something per month! I then asked how much it would be to add buttons on the policy (because I still don't have insurance for him!) and it would be £22.55 per month for the 2 of them!! Shocked Shocked

As I've never had pet insurance or even looked at it I didn't really have a clue if this was good or not! I said oh ok, thank you I will have a look around and if I want to go with this then I will call back, she then got really shirty and started trying to get me to give my bank details and wouldn't take no for an answer so I had to end up hanging up on her!! Mad

Does everyone really pay these kinds of prices for their pet insurance??
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Rabbit insurance prices  Empty Re: Rabbit insurance prices

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:32 pm

That's handy timing isn't it!!! And as for the rude lady... Mad

We are with Pet Plan and are £20.?? Per month. I want to say £20.57 but not sure it is .57 Laughing

We are due for renewal next month though!!

Hope this helps Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 pm

What annoyed me a bit is, the price didnt reduce after they were neutered, despite the health benefits Hmmm
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:39 pm

My two are with pet plan and I am less than £20 a month for both. I would do g back and ask for another quote as that seems excessive.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:41 pm

NickieM wrote:My two are with pet plan and I am less than £20 a month for both. I would do g back and ask for another quote as that seems excessive.
WHAT?! Shocked Laughing

Why are you cheaper than us???
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 pm

I am with the pets at home insurance and pay £6.something per bun per month but bluebells is £9.00 per month because last years claim.

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 pm

I pay £24 per month for C&A and £12 something for daisy and have just renewed.... Considering both C&A had claims up to the max £2000 last year I don't think it's too bad!

I know petplan are more expensive than some others but they have been brilliant with us.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Try an online quote, Lizzi Thumbs Up

The only bun we have insured is Rosie, with Petplan, for about £10 a month.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm

I thought it seemed excessive! That would mean me paying £270 a year!! I've had buttons nearly 2 years and he's never cost me more than £20 or so for his jabs per year and his neutering, which neither of these things would be paid for by the insurance!

I think it's kind of like when you buy a new car and you get free insurance with it, and if you choose to carry it on instead of shopping around for a cheaper quote then you end up paying actually a lot more!

Is it bad that I don't think it's worth me getting insurance right now if its those sort of prices? I really don't have that kind of excess money a year! I already spend enough on the buns to keep them happy and healthy!

Also do people think that house bunnies are maybe a little less prone to illnesses?
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:07 pm

well I see what your saying lizzy but if something happened you would be glad it's there,
I personally would go online and be looking at a quote for between £6 to £8 per month each, I don't understand the very high quote you were given x

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Bruce and Flo were about £20 per month each with pet plan. I moved to PAH and now pay about £16 for the pair of them, but the cover is lower. You need to remember that Cornwall is a high risk area for Myxi which I am sure pushes up the premiums.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Bruce and Flo were about £20 per month each with pet plan. I moved to PAH and now pay about £16 for the pair of them, but the cover is lower. You need to remember that Cornwall is a high risk area for Myxi which I am sure pushes up the premiums.
ooh I never even knew that Shocked

Last edited by fiver on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm

We thought that when we took on Daisy ...... What could possibly happen that will cost more than £50?????? I would guess that we have now spent around £4000 on him in vet bills. We have nice insured him but, his pre-existing condition is to covered.

3 days after getting C&A Charlie became ill - we have claimed £2000 for him this year. Annie's heart problems started in sept , we have claimed £2000 since.

That's three out of three. I don't think we could have afforded to find the money if we had had to.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

lizzi_b wrote:I thought it seemed excessive! That would mean me paying £270 a year!! I've had buttons nearly 2 years and he's never cost me more than £20 or so for his jabs per year and his neutering, which neither of these things would be paid for by the insurance!

I think it's kind of like when you buy a new car and you get free insurance with it, and if you choose to carry it on instead of shopping around for a cheaper quote then you end up paying actually a lot more!

Is it bad that I don't think it's worth me getting insurance right now if its those sort of prices? I really don't have that kind of excess money a year! I already spend enough on the buns to keep them happy and healthy!

Also do people think that house bunnies are maybe a little less prone to illnesses?

They are prone to different illnesses. I am sure that house rabbits generally are noticed to be unwell much sooner than outdoor ones, but by that token they are more likely to be taken to the vets and cost more money! I would think that house rabbits are more prone to sore hocks and dust allergies and they are just as susceptible to dental problems if not more so as they spend more time eating produced hay rather than fresh grass picked by themselves. (I base that on my experiences with Bruce) They are just as likely to get gastric problems due to eating foreign objects or due to stress from odd noises.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil & Ron's Mum Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Ron is £13.12 and Margo is £10.98 with pet plan, weird prices if you ask me, some one must sit there rubbing their chin! scratch
But its worth it after the £££££ I spent on Lilly.
Her free 4 weeks cover ran out the day before she got head tilt and had to have her nose removed at an emergency vets, if only I renewed it.

Lil & Ron's Mum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 pm

fiver wrote:
cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Bruce and Flo were about £20 per month each with pet plan. I moved to PAH and now pay about £16 for the pair of them, but the cover is lower. You need to remember that Cornwall is a high risk area for Myxi which I am sure pushes up the premiums.

Cornwall is warm and wet compared to the rest of the country which means more biting insects for longer periods of the year. I cannot remember a year where there hasn't been reports of Myxi down here going right back to my childhood.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Did you know that when you adopt a rabbit and get the free insurance, if you continue with the policy Pet Plan pay 10% of the policy fee back to the rescue - not just for that year but every year you renew?

Humum only found that out today and was quite impressed, and a bit surprised they don't make a bigger deal about it. Ok, so it's only a few £ per rabbit per year, and they obviously get plenty of new business that way, but they could have fixed it at a one-off payment of £10 per rabbit.

Bear in mind that if either of them do ever develop ongoing medical issues then any policy you take out after that will exclude them. We too have spent several thousand pounds in vet bills over the last couple of years. Rosie got bitten, had her lip torn quite badly and ended up at the emergency vet then had an op the next day. The bill for that single incident was about the same as your annual insurance for both your buns.

I'd recommend that you renew at least while Miffy is still settling and you are getting to know her, then review next year.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:
fiver wrote:

Cornwall is warm and wet compared to the rest of the country which means more biting insects for longer periods of the year. I cannot remember a year where there hasn't been reports of Myxi down here going right back to my childhood.
that must be an extra worry Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:59 pm

I have been with both Petplan and Pets At Home, the first was with Peanut and they were excellent with his claims but...now I am with PAH for my three and they have been just as excellent with Domino. And they are £6 something.

So i dont think you have to compromise by using PAH, they are just as good. x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Hector is insured with pet plan, it's £10 something a month. Maybe try going on their website and getting a quote for both of them? It might work out cheaper
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 pm

We were with Pet Plan when we had Keegan and they were brilliant and paid out over £5,000 in all for Keegan over the years we had him.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy D Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:47 am

I insured Daisy online with Petplan. They were great last year when nibs passed away so decided to go back to them. Cost about £10 a month with great limits and £50 excess only. Think there are cheaper insurers but have lower limits and higher excess. Worth a quote! Very Happy
Daisy D
Daisy D
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Ok, so I have just sorted insurance for Buttons and Miffy. I ended up going with Pets at home. They were half the price of Petplan!! so I am paying £12.84 per month for the pair of them! and this is for Lifetime cover and covers the same things as Petplan!

I tried doing it online but for some reason it didn't work so rang them and they gave me the 5% online discount still, I also got the multi pet discount and because my vets is Companion Care (the ones you get inside pets at home) then that gave me an extra 5% off and also decreases my excess down to £65 instead of £75. they also give you a £10 pets at home voucher per rabbit you insure so Ive got £20 of vouchers to come! Very Happy Happy Dance

I think they might be getting some new toys! hehehe!

I never knew about the voucher thing or the fact that if your vets is Companion Care you got extra discount, so I thought I would share, as I'm sure there are others that didn't know this!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Glad you got cover sorted out. It is so important.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 pm

oh that is good news Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper