Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedding for my two when they go outdoors?

5 posters

Go down

Bedding for my two when they go outdoors? Empty Bedding for my two when they go outdoors?

Post by FluffSlave Sun May 26, 2013 3:57 pm

I was wondering what to use as bedding for the terrible two when they finally move outside. I buy hay by the bale from my sister's stables, what about doing the same for straw? I know straw is meant to be nice and warm. We also have shredded paper in unlimited amounts from mum's office, is this suitable for outdoor bedding confused

I need some help guys!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Bedding for my two when they go outdoors? Empty Re: Bedding for my two when they go outdoors?

Post by Sparky Sun May 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Our lot have lino floors with some carpet offcuts, then big dog beds with Megazorb in and a layer of hay on that.

Today everybun is laid outside on sunbeams, or on the plain lino as it will be cooler.

We did get one bale of straw for the floor in the quad's run as it was a mudbath and were really impressed with it - especially when it expanded to about ten times the size when it was fluffed up Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Bedding for my two when they go outdoors? Empty Re: Bedding for my two when they go outdoors?

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 26, 2013 4:32 pm

We used straw with Thumper and the only conplaint we had was that its messy!

Sparky's suggestion sounds better thought ^ Thumbs Up
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun May 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Forgot to say, we tried shredded paper for a while too but that's even more messy than hay and straw Shocked It's über light so blows about everywhere.

And apparently it tastes nommy! confused So we stopped using it.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun May 26, 2013 4:54 pm

I think I might get a bale of straw then, since I want it to be really snuggly for them when they first go out especially after being indoors at night time Thumbs Up

I've used shredded paper in their hay/litter area with no problems before so I could mix that in if I need some extra bulk, I guess. Ours is really long strands so not like the finely chopped stuff...

I use Megazorb for my chinchillas but I can't imagine I could afford to buy another sack each month for the bun's set up, too. It is so expensive with postage Sad
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun May 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Can you try a local horsey type supplier? We were lucky and our little local pet shop bought a pallet in on our say-so and now I think several of their customers buy it. You can afford two bags without the postage.

We use less than a sack a week with 16 buns, as most of them toilet in their runs which is easy enough to sweep up, and we mostly get away with spot-cleaning litter trays.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun May 26, 2013 7:45 pm

The only thing you have to watch out for with straw is that it can be a bit sharp and there is a chance buns can scratch their eyes if it is used for bedding. I usually buy my hay from an equine supplier and get a huge bale of it for about £7 and it is beautiful and fresh and grown about 50 miles away.

I used to line the sleeping area of the hutch with two big cat litter trays filled with a layer of newspaper and loads of hay. I found that the buns did all of their poo in there when they were locked in, and then had a latrine in a corner of the run when they were outside.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun May 26, 2013 7:45 pm

We've tried all of the local horsey suppliers - unfortunately none are small enough to be that friendly! Our only, most local supplier is a huge chain store and they won't order in Sad
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:06 pm

How is operation relocation going hunni?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Katieb wrote:How is operation relocation going hunni?

Mum is in Devon for the week, so no progress as of yet. When she gets back we're ordering the shed and then all being well, they'll be outdoors by the end of June at the very latest Very Happy
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down