Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies

+2
Tuckerbunnies
icedancer
6 posters

Go down

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies Empty Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies

Post by icedancer Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 pm

I’ve been putting off doing this memorial, because I knew how hard it would be. But I know I need to, for the original diddy girls.

Leah and Cherry came into my life on the 21st June 2012. They were my first roborovski hamsters, although I had loved robos for many years. They had a rough start in life, found dumped in a field (oddly not far from where I moved to last year) with their relatives, who all interbred. A friend of mine heard about them, and rescued five. I was originally going to have two boys, but the boys were very poorly so instead I had the two girls. As boys they were going to be Lee and Tim (Not Going Out and Lee Mack fan here), so Lee became Leah, and not being able to find a female eqvilient of Tim, “he” became Cherry after a skating jump.

The first few photos I had of them were blurry, they were so scared, especially Leah. Cherry was a curious scared, and soon became friendly.

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020399_zpsde0ded17

Leah
Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020400_zps8a2aa9f2

Cherry
Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020401_zpsea7353c6

Leah
Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020405_zps32c8a0cb

The First time I held Cherry
Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies BasingstokeandDeane-20120618-00388

They were so scruffy when they first moved in, and didn’t know how to act like hamsters. They were used to a tiny cage and one wheel. But slowly and surely they learnt and became even more beautiful

Leah
Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020668_zps0a0fc8cb

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020658_zps9d43a3bb

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020656-Copy_zpsdd1925e6

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020659_zpsd5b6419e

Cherry
Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020652_zps15627da2

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020662_zpse97e3f6c

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020661

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020980_zps62151d7c

Leah and Cherry lived happily together until March 2013. By now, I believe, Leah was two/nearly two and had a minor stroke. Cherry was still a relatively young hamster, and not realising Leah was poorly had a laugh knocking Leah off of things where she couldn’t get up. You could tell Cherry thought this was funny. Leah became more distressed by this so I separated them. Leah settled into her new cage happy that she wasn’t being treated like a ten bin bowling alley anymore, but Cherry was lonely. If Cherry heard your voice she was there attention seeking.

Over Easter I was away for a couple of nights, and the girls went to my friends house to stay. It was here that Leah had a second, major, stroke, and my friend was amazed that she survived. She did, and got stronger, and although a little wonky, managed well on her own

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020985_zpse1d081ca

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1020984_zpsecae5013

I wasn’t expecting Leah to make me going on holiday in July, so I was surprised when she was still with us. But something told me she wouldn’t be here when I came back and I was right. Despite her doing so well before I took her to my parents, she died on Saturday 13th July. My mum was distraught, but I think that Leah had another final stroke or a heart attack. The Friday night when my parents went to bed she was playing, and in the morning she was gone. I felt awful for a long time that I wasn’t with her, Leah had been in my bedroom since I separated Leah and Cherry, but I wonder if she wanted to die next to Cherry, who was in her cage besides her. She was buried in my parents garden.

That same March that Leah had her stroke, Cherry entered a new phase in her life. She was so lonely and attention seeking all the time. A friend of a friend had a surprise litter, so at five weeks old a little female named Bluebell (which I shortened to Belle) came to live with her

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1030087_zps23f6ace9

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1030112_zps9f57b325

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1030342_zps862502ad

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1030181_zps51c161a0

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies P1030163_zps19bceb3d

Cherry and Belle adored each other, Belle would often just follow Cherry around. They were such an adorable pair, and again I had a second diddy girl double act. Cherry loved to groom Belle, as you can see in the photos.

Cherry reached her second birthday on August 1st 2013. Then there were a few squabbles occurring between the two. One night this became louder and lasted longer, so I decided to give Cherry a peaceful retirement. Sadly it was to become a very short retirement, nearly as soon as I put her into the retirement cage I noticed she was making a chirping sound. I was awake all that night with her and she went to the vet the following day (where she was a little star) and prescribed baytril for a respiratory infection. She sadly only had two doses, I went to give her dose three when I found her in her bed gone, on the 8th August, tragically only three days since being alone. I was distraught, Cherry was a surprise going that quickly, as she had been so healthy. I blamed myself for the stress of moving her, but I do now feel she was probably ill and that’s why her and Belle were squabbling. But I still feel very guilty about it.

Losing Leah and Cherry so close together has been one of the hardest things I’ve had to go through as a pet owner. One of my close friends said Cherry didn’t like the idea of Leah being at the bridge alone, which is comforting.

I miss the original diddy girls. The joy and trust I had from them was amazing. Little Leah Lou especially, who wouldn’t let me near her when she moved in but towards the end let me play with her, give her a sand shower and cut her nails. She even stopped yelling at me when I scruffed her. Cherry was the most amazing little girl, affection and caring, and done a fantastic job looking after Belle.

While I was on the way to my parents to bury Cherry next to Belle this came on the radio, and I will always think of my girls when I hear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmxILVVoRGA
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies Empty Re: Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:07 am

Aww I'm sorry you lost some of your little Robo's, I remember you getting Leah and Cherry Hugs Hugs Hugs 

That song always reminds me of all my Bridge bunnies I always have a weep when I hear it Crying or Very sad 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies Empty Re: Leah and Cherry - the original Diddies

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:44 pm

I remember when they first came to live with you. They were so lucky to find a home with you after their bad start to life.  You did nothing wrong re their care. Ever.

They are together again now, happy and healthy Love
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Humum says:

I was honoured to meet both original diddy girls back in May, although I was too chicken to hold them because they were so soooo incredibly diddy Embarassed 

They definitely wanted for nothing, were spoiled rotten and had a fabulous life with you. Exactly what they both deserved after such an awful start. I absolutely agree with Thumper that you did everything you possible could for them, always - you can always second-guess with hindsight and wonder if you did the right thing, and it is only people who care deeply who do so Hugs Hugs Hugs 

Leah, Cherry - you were loved and you were blessed with a fabulous home. Scurry free at the bridge, and try to stay out of trouble Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

I am so sorry for your grief love, I have a hammy too.  Beautiful photos of such an adorable little sweetie.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:01 pm

rest peacefully leah and cherry Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down