Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept

2 posters

Go down

Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept Empty Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept

Post by Lynda Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:08 pm

Does anyone know the 'normal' range for rabbits?

Our Crystal is being tested for glaucoma using a Tonometer. Our vet doesn't have a tonometer and would have to borrow one, but an optician friend of ours has agreed to come and test her on a home visit.

Our vet is hunting down the normal range but it would help if I had the stats to hand for when the optician comes.

Can anyone help please? *flutters eyelashes*

Last edited by Lynda on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept Empty Re: Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 pm

Interesting question - as an optician too I am curious.

I have had a quick google but can't find any info - too many links to induced glaucoma in experimental bunnies Crying or Very sad

All I have found is that it is very rare in bunnies and is usually caused by inflammation or trauma. In humans in the majority of cases it is a chronic disease.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept Empty Re: Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept

Post by Lynda Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:46 pm

I could only find the experiments too Crying or Very sad

Our vet has had a really good look at her eyes, there's no ulcers or scarring, but her eyes are bigger than normal, very cloudy (bluish in colour), one is worse than the other and she tends to keep the worst one closed most of the time.

I'll let you know the outcome (if any!)
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:58 pm

How old is Crystal?

I seem to think that oversized eyes are more likely to be prone to glaucoma. The cornea does become cloudy if the IOP is raised for a significant amount of time.

Poor Crystal - I hope you manage to find a cause for her eye problems.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:38 pm

We don't know exactly how old she is, we've had her here for over three years and she was an adult when we got her.

I'll try and get some pics so you can see her eyes Thumbs Up
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:24 pm

Sorry,I dont have any references.

I hope Crystal gets on OK. I freaked when having my IOP done Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:47 pm

Don't worry Jane - you are not the only one Wink

Men are usually the worst!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:32 pm

Lynda - have been doing some digging around ( Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad too many buns experimented on) and I have found an average reading of IOP for a bun at around 17mmHg.

This is pretty much the same as in humans and therefore if we assume buns are experimented on as their eyes are similar to humans with regard to IOP's and how they react to medication then I would say that a pressure reading of above 25mmHg is suspicious and anything above 30 is likely to cause problems.

I hope this helps.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Brilliant Thumbs Up I've made a note of them and will discuss with optician and vet, thank you so much Very Happy
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Ok, he's done the test Hmmm

Crystal's came out at 22, which as we and the optician thought was within the ok range, the optician did a quick look on the net earlier in the day to see if there were any guidelines too but could only find the experimental ones ......... so, just for comparison, we checked out some of the buns with healthy eyes Shocked , Billy's was 8 and Peggy-sue's was 10 Shocked He noticed her eyes were very dry and thought that perhaps lubrication/false tears may help.

He's going to have a word with our vet tomorrow.
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:49 am

Oh pooh, Lynda, I have just missed you.

I sent a question to Dana Krempels through AllExperts and her reply is

'our veterinary ophthalmolgist doesn't like to see the IOP higher than about 15 in a rabbit, as they are more susceptible to glaucoma. She considers a rabbit on the high end of the IOP spectrum to be a candidate for anti-glaucoma treatment, just to be on the safe side'

It sounds then that Crystal does have a problem with raised IOP's, especially given the readings on the other bunnies, and treatment may well be appropriate.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks Vanessa, I've pm'd you Smile
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:37 pm

The vet has decided it is glaucoma and she's now on Trusopt (dorzolamide hydrochloride) drops twice a day until futher notice, along with Viscotears liquid gel as often as possible.

This is her 'good' eye:

Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept DSC00527

and this is her bad eye, she wasn't opening it very much cos of the sunlight:

Intraocular Pressure - update 16th Sept DSC00529
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Awwwww bless her Sad

I hope the treatment makes her more comfortable

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:03 pm

Such a pretty girl.

I hope the Trusopt soon takes effect. Is your optician friend going to measure her pressures again? It would be good to know the pressures are coming down.

Edit - Lynda, hope I am not interfering but I have just had further info from Dana and her glaucoma bunny is on Trusopt too. Once I have got the info in an email format I will forward it to you if you like.

Last edited by Sixer on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Further info)
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:59 pm

Thank you Very Happy

Yes, Steve is interested in her case as well and is happy to pop back in a couple of weeks to do another reading, and further ones after that. It's our vet's first case of glaucoma in a rabbit and he's 'enthusiastic' about it all! Laughing , I think he's been boasting to all his vet pals about all the rabbit work he has in his job Laughing , such a lovely guy!

And no Vanessa, you're not interfering at all, I really appreciate your help. I'd love to see Dana's info when you have time.
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:32 pm

Have forwarded Dana's replies to you via email. She has been so quick to reply, I have been very impressed by her.

I let her know that Crystal has been put on the Trusopt and she immediately replied with the expectation that the pressure should start to fall pretty much straight away.

If Steve is happy to do so then Crystal will need the IOP's checking fairly regularly even when they have stabilised. Is he going to bill the vet for services rendered? Travelling expenses? !!!!!!!!

I am glad you have a bunny loving vet! Sounds like between yourself, Steve and the vet, Crystal is in good hands.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:15 pm

I'll keep an eye out for the email, thanks Thumbs Up , nothing received as yet.

Crystal does look a bit more comfortable today and she's only had two doses so far, yay for Trusopt!

Steve's fine with seeing Crystal, he lives nearby. And he's trading treatment with the vet, Steve has a dog Laughing , so no, I don't think he'll be billing them, he's just interested in the case and wants to see it through. I'm so lucky! Laughing
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:25 pm

I am so pleased Crystal is more comfortable.

I sent the email last night to your bunnyhugger email address. It hasn't bounced back to me so I assume it is in cyberspace somewhere Hmmm If it's not arrived I will try again, I am a bit of a numpty in the PC department!

My clever daughter Louise has PM'd you the email, it's a bit squished up but it is readable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Got the pm thanks Thumbs Up pass on my thanks to your daughter Laughing and thanks for all your help Very Happy
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Update:

Crystal had her pressure tested again, her 'bad' eye hasn't changed and is still 22, her other one is down to 17. Steve suggested that we might want to talk to our vet about Xalatan for her, but I don't know if that's been used in rabbits, he says it works differently Hmmm

Failing that, she may have to have her eye out Sad
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Oh no, that is not the news I was hoping to hear.

I wonder if it is worth trying Timolol alongside the Trusopt for a week to see if this brings the pressure down.

Poor Crystal, hard as it is if the eye is not responding and is causing her discomfort then removal may be the best thing to do. I hope this is not the case Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 pm

I know Vanessa, but hey, she's got some eyesight back again and is a lot brighter and more alert Smile

I'll mention the Timolol as well, see what he says Thumbs Up I'll let you know.
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:56 am

Lets hope that an alternative med can be tried before surgery.

Its good to hear that she's feeling more comfy even if the problem is not totally sorted out yet

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down