Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OMG help me please. Urgent!! U/D Again!!!

+11
jolovesbunnies
dizzylynn
JoeyBunsMum
Father Jack
Velvet.Tears
Tuckerbunnies
NickieM
SarahJane
Sparky
Amelia66
Thumper2001
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OMG help me please. Urgent!!  U/D Again!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: OMG help me please. Urgent!! U/D Again!!!

Post by dizzylynn Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Always thought maggots were smaller (in length) than this.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

OMG help me please. Urgent!!  U/D Again!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: OMG help me please. Urgent!! U/D Again!!!

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Glad it was a false alarm love, I would have panicked too.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Shocked 

I didn't realise humans had that much fur Shocked
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:47 pm

What I found odd - once I had finished eating my lunch and was feeling stronger - is the hair free back and bum and the full fur everywhere else. Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:It might be a while until Molly and Junior forgive me for spraying them tho Wink

You sprayed them? Suspect 

I think Molly and Junior need to get you in for neutering Twisted Evil 
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:27 pm

Father Jack wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:It might be a while until Molly and Junior forgive me for spraying them tho Wink
You sprayed them? Suspect 

I think Molly and Junior need to get you in for neutering Twisted Evil 
Haha! Fly spray dear Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Without actually seeing it in person I'm pretty sure what you had there was an Indian Meal Moth.(Indianmeal Moth)  They are extremely common and are usually found in or closely around food stuffs. In this country they are one of the common insects found in cupboards.  In fact one of the species is called pantry moth and weevil moth.  They do spin a very fine silk and love to climb walls to the ceiling.  Here's a link:  Clicky
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:01 am

So glad it is not a maggot hun and agree with it being a moth.I hate moths.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm

A little squishy mothpillar Very Happy

Maggots look more like grains of rice, on the subject of climbing they can't climb like caterpillars but they can definitely crawl up smooth vertical surfaces, although I think they may need to be damp. One of our green bins had maggots in it in the hot weather and I opened the lid and they were all over the sides on the inside of the bin. Extremely gross.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:06 pm

gentl wrote:Without actually seeing it in person I'm pretty sure what you had there was an Indian Meal Moth.(Indianmeal Moth)  They are extremely common and are usually found in or closely around food stuffs. In this country they are one of the common insects found in cupboards.  In fact one of the species is called pantry moth and weevil moth.  They do spin a very fine silk and love to climb walls to the ceiling.  Here's a link:  Clicky
I clicked the link, saw the two pics and then closed it again! Wimp! Laughing

It certainly wasn't near any cupboards tho.

BugsBunny wrote:So glad it is not a maggot hun and agree with it being a moth.I hate moths.
Me too!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:07 pm

iiisecondcreep wrote:A little squishy mothpillar Very Happy

Maggots look more like grains of rice, on the subject of climbing they can't climb like caterpillars but they can definitely crawl up smooth vertical surfaces, although I think they may need to be damp. One of our green bins had maggots in it in the hot weather and I opened the lid and they were all over the sides on the inside of the bin. Extremely gross.
I would have died there and then Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 pm

They are horrible things, I remember when we lived in Telford one of the cats brough a bird in that we didnnt know about and when it was found, yu can imagine the state it was in.  I was bery proud of myself for dealing with it LOL!!

I am so glad it wasn;t a maggot love.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 pm

I've just found another two of the things Sad One on the wall and one on the ceiling, both outside Molly and Junior's  cupboard Sad

Do I need to throw the hay out again? They aren't the same bags as before but we have Ings and Alfalfa king again Sad I've emptied out the cupboard and they can only be coming from one or the other Sad

Not a happy camper.

Thanks.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Have you vaccumed out the cupboards. They could have been laid as eggs in the joins.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Yeah, I used my handheld dyson but it's pretty powerful.

I hate bugs Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 pm

gentl wrote:Without actually seeing it in person I'm pretty sure what you had there was an Indian Meal Moth.(Indianmeal Moth)  They are extremely common and are usually found in or closely around food stuffs. In this country they are one of the common insects found in cupboards.  In fact one of the species is called pantry moth and weevil moth.  They do spin a very fine silk and love to climb walls to the ceiling.  Here's a link:  Clicky
I agree with this. But Im also wondering if it could be a meal worm, in which case if they survive long enough, they will become beetles. Now ive seen the beetles a lot in farm hay, and now and again in posh hay, so it would be no surprise to really find their larvae in there either. Id freak out though too. I had a load of the beetles in my room at one point after a friend gave me some old stuff for my viv. She didnt know some mealies had escaped once upon a time and were now beetles and living amongst her stash in the garage, which ended up on my carpet!! Laughing

I cant imagine they would be any danger to the buns. I know theyre domestic buns, but they must come into contact with a great deal worse in the wild?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm

I don't think it is a mealworm, wrong body shape, colour and type. Freshly moulted meaworms are white all over with the head hardening and changing colour with the rest of the body. The beastie pictured has a dark head. Also mealworms can't climb up smooth vertical surfaces.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:04 pm

iiisecondcreep wrote:I don't think it is a mealworm, wrong body shape, colour and type. Freshly moulted meaworms are white all over with the head hardening and changing colour with the rest of the body. The beastie pictured has a dark head. Also mealworms can't climb up smooth vertical surfaces.

You've just destroyed Layla's appetite.

Wait, it just came back Laughing 
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2