Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My old girl isn't doing so good.

+10
bunlover
FluffSlave
KatieB
Sixer
c.bolduan
BugsBunny
Tuckerbunnies
gentl
jolovesbunnies
SarahJane
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

My old girl isn't doing so good. - Page 2 Empty Re: My old girl isn't doing so good.

Post by c.bolduan Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Why is she not allowed veggies?
Just out of interest, sending vibes to the good old girl and hope it she will improve!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

My old girl isn't doing so good. - Page 2 Empty Re: My old girl isn't doing so good.

Post by FluffSlave Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 am

Aww, poor girlie Sad

Sending vibes Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:42 am

c.bolduan wrote:Why is she not allowed veggies?
Just out of interest, sending vibes to the good old girl and hope it she will improve!

Because she has a calcium build up, and she needs to lose all the calcium thats built up inside her bladder,and that will only happen is calcium is eliminated from the diet, so by giving her no veggies, and just hay, pellets and forage stuff she will start to lose the calcium inside her.  Wave 
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Loads of vibes for the very beautiful Jelly. I have Gabriel on daily metacam for arthritis in his spine. He is addicted to it and batters at the shed door in the morning when I go out with a loaded syringe  Rolling Eyes
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:05 pm

lots of vibes for Jelly  Hugs 

maybe the bladder sludge is due to the inactivity from arthritis? it could have given time for the calcium to settle rather than being passed.
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Thats what I think paullp, or maybe her body just cant flush out everything as well as it used to. The vet said she got the wrong diet, and that she shouldnt have been having any veggies at all, (he wasnt rude or anything) but, to be honest, if that was the truth she wouldnt be getting this issue at eight years old.

I expect a diet revision should have been done by me when she got older, but i don't think she's been having the wrong diet her whole life, i have never over fed veggies.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:12 pm

SarahJane wrote:Thats what I think paullp, or maybe her body just cant flush out everything as well as it used to. The vet said she got the wrong diet, and that she shouldnt have been having any veggies at all, (he wasnt rude or anything) but, to be honest, if that was the truth she wouldnt be getting this issue at eight years old.

I expect a diet revision should have been done by me when she got older, but i don't think she's been having the wrong diet her whole life, i have never over fed veggies.

Are you even sure she is on the wrong diet? If the problem is due to arthritis (which seems highly likely given age of onset etc) the problem isn't how much calcium she has in her diet it is purely her inability to expel it from her bladder.

Though some vegs are relatively high in calcium they are also a source of hydration so are actually a good item in a diet for bladder sludge bunny, as they keep the flow going!

When Artie was on his low calcium diet, over five years, I was advised to give veg but to strictly limit/omit pellets. Pellets are often 0.7 - 1.0% calcium, even the 'high calcium' veg don't come close to that.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:27 pm

sending healing vibes and what big ears said makes more sense to me too.

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:02 pm

I hopeJellyis some better. Sending hierarchy some vibes!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:54 am

Lots and lots of healing Vibes for Jelly we had the same problem with Keegan our Bridge bunny although he did have veg we just gave him veg that was very low in calcium. I still have the sheets with all the calcium levels in greens but it's going back a good few years.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Lots and lots of healing Vibes for Jelly we had the same problem with Keegan our Bridge bunny although he did have veg we just gave him veg that was very low in calcium. I still have the sheets with all the calcium levels in greens but it's going back a good few years.

That could be helpful as a reference. Veg shouldn't change their nutritional content over time.
Can you post it or send it as pm? Xxxxx

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:27 pm

We took Thumper of all veg bar mange tout (I'm sure some of you will remember her addiction well!) and she was none the worse off for it.

And she didn't even eat hay!!!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Could you email it to me Maysie if I send you my email address? I often give veg in the hot weather, so i feel really mean at the moment.

The vet was like, we have 23 rabbits and they have never had bladder sludge, and we dont give any veggies, but i just dont think i am giving her a bad diet.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:47 pm

More loving vibes for Jelly on their way hun.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:30 pm

SarahJane wrote:Could you email it to me Maysie if I send you my email address? I often give veg in the hot weather, so i feel really mean at the moment.

The vet was like, we have 23 rabbits and they have never had bladder sludge, and we dont give any veggies, but i just dont think i am giving her a bad diet.

I don't think you do! They are individuals and some may develop issues and others won't.
Follow you gut instinct too.
But it would be great to have the list to be able to work things out accordingly Very Happy Thumbs Up 

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:19 pm

SarahJane wrote:Could you email it to me Maysie if I send you my email address? I often give veg in the hot weather, so i feel really mean at the moment.

The vet was like, we have 23 rabbits and they have never had bladder sludge, and we don’t give any veggies, but i just dont think i am giving her a bad diet.

Forgive me for saying but your vet sounds a bit of a know it all. All rabbits are different and I do not think veg is bad thing for them at all, given in moderation. We have a vets in Darwen my brother went tp once and never again, she breeds huskies I think and she saw my dad on the grass with her off the lead and she said that she will run off and not come back etc etc and my dad told her she is a good husky unlike most huskies and will not, she was adamant cos she was jealous that hers where not as well behaved, she was adamant then quickly realized how wrong she was when my dad told her to do something and to come to him she did, she is so good. So despite that they are vets and they have these animals does not mean they know it all. It was quite funny seeing her being disproved and wrong.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:17 pm

I would like to have been there love, why do some people think they know it all?

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:04 am

Vibes for Jelly!  Hope things are brighter soonest!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Lots of huggles and top up vibes on their way love, how is she today?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:47 pm

She's a lot better, having metacam twice a day now and shes much perkier. Stopped losing weight too Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:05 am

Good girl! Thumbs Up Wave Love Hugs 
Please keep us up to date.
And more vibes just in case......

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Well done Jelly! Very Happy

Keep it up vibes headed her way Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:00 pm

I am so pleased to hear this love I am sending a massive nose rub.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:44 pm

My poor girl isn't doing so good right now,and I am struggling to cope as well. She is having metacam twice a day, and while that isn't a big deal for most people to cope with, with my chronic fatigue I am struggling to get up in the morning too. She is also needing regular bottom baths, and Mum is having to help me so much.

But, I am very concerned now. Yesterday Mum was cleaning her, and we noticed she was losing her fur. This morning, so much has gone. Its all gone underneath her bottom, and above her tail, her actual tail has no fur whatsoever for two inches, and she looks like she has a rat tail Sad and her left leg is bald on the inside.

I am so worried for her. She's seeing the vet on Monday, I brought the appointment closer from Wednesday. I am putting sudocrem on her to keep her from getting urine scald but it looks so sore. I have shut her and pebbles inside the shed tonight because of the rain, I don't want Jelly getting wet.

She's going downhill so fast, I am so worried I'll lose her.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:38 am

O poor Jelly Sad 
Hope the vet will be able to help. Sending big hugs to you both Hugs 

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next