Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vibes for Jeeves very much needed please U/D results :/

+9
SarahJane
KatieB
gentl
Sixer
BugsBunny
c.bolduan
jolovesbunnies
Thumper2001
Dotdot
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vibes for Jeeves very much needed please U/D results :/ Empty Vibes for Jeeves very much needed please U/D results :/

Post by Dotdot Tue May 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi all!

I know I've vanished for a heck of a long time, but I'll explain that in another post. The reason I'm here isn't a good one. About 5 weeks ago I took Jeeves to the vets because he was weeing on himself, had gotten urine scald and had noticeably lost weight. At first it was like usual, sometimes he forgets his training and then re-trains himself (a lazy man) but as his legs got red I realised this wasn't right.

He was put on baytril for a week but this didn't seem to do anything so he was then put on panacur for the past 4 weeks which seems to have stopped him from weeing everywhere and sorted out his urine scald as he has stopped weeing on himself. However, on the first vet visit he weighed 1.89 and today on a visit to the nurse he weighs 1.5 so it would seem he isn't actually getting anywhere.

He has an appointment tomorrow with an exotics vet at 6.20pm so any vibes would be appreciated.

Any ideas would also be welcome, especially how to get weight on him.

Last edited by Dotdot on Sat May 24, 2014 5:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Jeeves very much needed please U/D results :/ Empty Re: Vibes for Jeeves very much needed please U/D results :/

Post by Thumper2001 Tue May 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Hello you. Great to hear from you, sorry it's under these circumstances tho!

I remember someone suggesting porridge oats to both me and Lorna when Thumper and Paris were trying to gain weight, but for the life of me I can't remember how you should give them or how often.

Can anyone help with this???

Fingers crossed that they can sort Jeeves out tomorrow.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Jeeves very much needed please U/D results :/ Empty Re: Vibes for Jeeves very much needed please U/D results :/

Post by Thumper2001 Tue May 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue May 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Oh sweetheart, it is great to have you back but I am sorry for Jeeves. I am sending lots of comforting and healing vibes.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Tue May 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Vibes for Jeeves and hugs for you! Hugs 
C.xx

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Welcome back and so sorry about Jeeves.

Many hugs and vibes coming your way.

Hugs Hugs Hugs 
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed May 21, 2014 7:29 am

I am sorry to hear that Jeeves is not 100%. Blood tests may be a good idea if he is still losing weight  Hugs Hugs Hugs 
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed May 21, 2014 2:41 pm

This is an excellent article about overweight and underweight rabbits. It says that pain is usually the reason for the bunny not eating well. House Rabbit Society Article

Jeeves may well have a dental problem but since he is piddling here and there it may be a UTI or arthritis preventing him from keeping himself clean.

Vibes for Jeeves very much needed please U/D results :/ 1000eccf-6056-4c69-94d6-9daf9e50b291_zps3a7ee05f

Glad to see you back DotDot. I've missed you.  Hugs Hugs 
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu May 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Hello all!

Thanks so much for your vibes, it's lovely to be back I've missed you all!

Jeeves went to the vet last night and was a brave little soldier. She said he does have a hint of dental disease and will need a dental at some point (we are lucky as his last one was in 2011 before he came home) but because he is eating so well and begging for more she thinks there may also be something else contributing to his weight loss.

He's had a full blood profile and e cunicculi bloods taken and we should have results tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu May 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi there ! Poor Jeeves - please keep us updated with the results of his tests. Xxxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri May 23, 2014 12:31 am

Sending vibes for 'good news' about the blood tests. Hope he starts gaining a bit of weight soon!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri May 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Has he had a wee sample tested? Jelly has bee very similar and kept weeing on the floor and on herself too, and it was very dark wee. I took her to the vet with a sample and it turned out she had a UTI. She also had some arthritis in her hip,but the wee on herself thing is likely to be the UTI instead. x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri May 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Poor little chap, lots of healing and loving vibes are on their way for you both hun.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat May 24, 2014 12:34 am

Helloooooooooooooooooo Dot  Wave 

Sorry to hear Jeeves hasn't been so good, hope the results of his test are ok and nothing sinister,

Sending him Mega Vibes xxxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat May 24, 2014 12:47 am

How is he doing? Sending top up vibes just in case!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat May 24, 2014 2:46 am

Sending another dose of mega vibes for the handsome Jeeves! Sending some  Hugs for you as well.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat May 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi everyone Smile

Well the vet got back to us this morning as she finished surgery very late last night and didn't want to disturb us. The results aren't great and quite overwhelming so any help you can offer to help me understand better would be appreciated. Sad 

Positive for E cuniculi
Urea - low
ALT - (liver) high
White blood cells - low
Red blood cells - low (anaemic)
PCV - low
Platelets - low

- Obviously rabbits technically have e cuniculi already as they are carriers so would this still show as positive on the blood test for this reason?  Hmmm 

The vet we saw has been great, she has consulted with another vet who has even more experience with rabbits which reassures me that the support is there.

Between them they have decided further tests at the moment are very risky as we could loose him as he is so vulnerable as it is with very little weight on him.

So they have put him on 0.79ml of metronidazole 2x a day for a week, another 2 weeks of panacur as well as recovery food to give him in addition to other food in the hopes of getting weight on him and pro-c. We have to go back in a week for another review.

He's doing so well in himself though! So happy and cheeky and running around. A massively healthy appetite too.

It's typical I am now away for the weekend for a wedding and won't see him until Monday night Sad but my mum has been med trained and he's a sweetheart so easy to give meds to. He will take anything going at the moment.

-Any idea what metronidazole tastes like? We have popped some cranberry juice with it to make it more appealing but I'm very cautious as this isn't sugar free and I don't want this to upset him even more. What's a great juice (brand) to give that is sugar free? Are sweeteners safe?  confused  So sorry for my babbling!!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat May 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Been in touch with Tuckerbunnies yesterday because of Coffee.
Maysie suggested to use honey rather than juice. I think she said 1/4 of a teaspoon to mix in his recovery food.
Maybe you could put a tiny amount onto the syringe with the metronidazole?
I'm not sure about the blood results and would like to leave comments to some one that knows rather then me guessing.
But sending you vibes and hugs and hope it works out ok.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat May 24, 2014 6:47 pm

I am so sorry that the news from the vet was not too good honey so we are all putting our paws together here and sending lots of love and healing vibes.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat May 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Sounds like Jeeves immune system is really worn down. Pro-C is a good idea.  Sounds like your vet is trying hard to help him.  It's good he is eating well.

How is Tigger?   Is Tigger treating Jeeves the same?  Sending Mega vibes for Jeeves!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat May 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Dotdot wrote:Hi everyone Smile

Well the vet got back to us this morning as she finished surgery very late last night and didn't want to disturb us. The results aren't great and quite overwhelming so any help you can offer to help me understand better would be appreciated. Sad 

Positive for E cuniculi
Urea - low
ALT - (liver) high
White blood cells - low
Red blood cells - low (anaemic)
PCV - low
Platelets - low

Well, I've tried to make something of the above results by reading Textbook of Rabbit Medicine and 98% of it goes over my head  Embarassed  However, what I did understand was Urea - low results could indicated hepatic dysfunction (ie problem with the liver function) and re Increased ALT: "Hepatic coccidiosis due to Eimeria steidae is a cause of increased blood ALT ..." which might mean something to you. (I'm wondering if that might mean lasting effects of coccidiosis but that's just guesswork on my part).

Re E cuniculi. I think 50% of rabbits are carriers. They are usually more interested in the reading ('titre') than the positive or negative. Even then I'm not sure how useful it is as Artie had one of the highest EC titres my vet had seen and I think that just meant his body was very busy fighting it. So I *think* a negative result tells you a lot but a positive one doesn't as it could be there and never cause them any bother.

I does all sound very scary. I hope you vets manage to get a good interpretation of the results and can use them to offer some help.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat May 24, 2014 8:35 pm

I can't help much but wanted to send lots and lots of vibes for Jeeves  Hugs Hugs Hugs 

Weight gain - is he getting his share or is Tigger being greedy, if he is eating more slowly? Junior pellets can help I think. Caroline at RRR might be able to suggest safe weight-gaining feeding routines.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon May 26, 2014 4:44 pm

This is quite scary and I wish I could help you make more sense of it Sad

I can send loads and loads of vibes for Jeeves though. And hugs for you too Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue May 27, 2014 7:02 pm

I am sending lots of love too darling, something like this it is hard enough when you understand but when you don't? Please keep us updated.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue May 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Thank you all very much. I'm finding it really hard at the moment.

They're acting the same towards each other as they always have I can't seem to see anything different between them. I've been feeding them apart for about 9 months because she's a greedy guts so I wanted to prevent her eating all his food so he has been getting his share which is frustrating.

He has another appointment Friday at 6pm to see if we have managed to get any weight on him and to see where to go from here. So far I've had different people say different things it could be which just makes it even harder for me knowing there are so many possibilities.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next