Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wet nose UD 31/08 pm, not eating

+9
NickieM
Thumper2001
FluffSlave
jolovesbunnies
KatieB
c.bolduan
marleyNfriends
BugsBunny
iiisecondcreep
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wet nose UD 31/08 pm, not eating - Page 3 Empty Re: Wet nose UD 31/08 pm, not eating

Post by c.bolduan Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 am

Sorry to hear she is not well. Metocloperamide is a gut stimulant that increases the peristaltic movement of the GI system. I think it's worth to call the vet again and check. I'm not sure whether Zantac is an equivalent. In humans Tramadol can cause constipation too?
Good to hear she is eating a little. We used fibrafirst for Bubbles in the last few days and it seems it helped to kick start and keep her pooing. Top up vibes for you and Temperance Hugs Hugs

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Wet nose UD 31/08 pm, not eating - Page 3 Empty Re: Wet nose UD 31/08 pm, not eating

Post by KatieB Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Hunni

Im so sorry Ive missed this.

I hope she is ok.

for Critical care I give mine enough until I feel like they have had a small meal. Normally they get wriggly when they have had enough. Mix into it a tiny bit of sweet organic baby food - this makes it taste yum and so they are more likely to eat it. We use Ella's Kitchen Apples here.

Try popping her up on an elevated surface like a kitchen worktop on a small towel (big enough so that she feels safe but small enough that she cant hop along it. I find this a much easier way to get meds into my three than holding them which is a nightmare.

My concern would be if she has stopped eating when she was eating before is that maybe the op site has become infected (although she is on septrin which is normally quite good). But sounds odd. Could she be missing MJ?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:44 pm

How is she today sweetheart, lots of hugs and top up vibes are on their way?

Hugs
Jo xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 pm

I am so sorry to read this Sad

How is Temperance doing today? Better I hope.

I can't really offer any advice other than what I was advised re: Critical Care when Willow was poorly. My vet told me to give it as little and often as I could. I also use baby food to make it more appetising - Ella's Kitchen here too.

Sending loads and loads of vibes for you all Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Lots and lots of recovery vibes for Temperance Hugs
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Ranitidine and Zantac are the same drug. Ranitidine reduces acid and protects against ulcers in the stomach.
Metaclopramide is an antiemetic (reduces nausea and sickness), it does this by moving food through the stomach more quickly.
So it depends on the problem as to which is the more appropriate.

To be fair, Temperence is being give an anti-inflammatory, an opiate based painkiller, an antibiotic, and a acid neutralizer so the vets have things pretty much covered. I would recommend that you return her to the vets for review as the cause of the obvious stomach ache could be many different things.

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Shes is going back to the vet school for a check up later in the week.

She was much better when i came in from work, had eaten everything I left her and had poo'd some more.

Unfortunately in the last 30mins or so she's gotten much worse again. Firstly I noticed she was lifting hair tail up whilst lying down, then she got up and sat as if she was trying to pee but couldn't (she did pee a bit on her blanket and also 1 small poo and she has also pee'd during the day). She is very restless, panting heavily, not eating again. We've given her her meds and syringed her some water as it doesn't look like she drank much during the day. The emergency vet last night said it can take up to a couple of hours for the meds to kick in so I'll give it a while and if she's no better will call the emergency vet again.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Would it be worth to start a symptom diary. It seems she is worse in the evening?

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm thinking the same re it being a bit coincidental that she's struggled both evenings and been fine by day.

I don't know what time you're giving the meds but I would be considering that she's having a reaction to one of the meds or they're wearing off too quick and leaving her feeling rubbish.

Just a thought Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:54 pm

A reaction to the meds/one of the meds also sprang to my mind...

I remember being on a particular antibiotic that made me so poorly. It would make me gag and heave for a couple of hours with a killer stomach ache but then it would pass. It took me a couple of days of taking it to work out what it was.

Just a thought? Maybe ask your vet? xx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 am

I was wondering the same.

Daisy is allergic to Septrin.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:58 am

Are you giving a probiotic?

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 am

We ended up taking her to the emergency vet last night, they had a good feel of her tummy and said it feels ok although she has a few hard poos that could be felt. She pee'd when the vet touched her bladder and the vet thinks she might have a bit of a UTI as she tested her pee and it had protein and a tiny bit of blood, and also with her straining. The vet has given me a print out sheet of what they found to bring to the vet school when she goes in for her check up this week and we've been advised to syringe feed while she is refusing food.

This morning she had eaten quite a bit of what I'd left her, had drank much more than last night and I think she was nibbling hay as well. She willingly took a few barley rings this morning, but I still gave her some critical care. She took another barley ring after I gave her the critical care.

Re the meds, I think it could be as Thumper suggested re the timing as she'd been getting her morning meds at around 6.30am but getting her evening ones at her usual dinner time which is around 9.30. So tonight I will give her her meds when I get in from work about 6.30pm.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Lots of loving vibes on their way sweetie I will keep topping them up and saying prayers. Hugs

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm sending lots more vibes Temperance's way! Hugs

How is she doing? Let us know how she gets on with a different medication time xx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm stuck at work (raging) so OH is having to try to give her meds his self. I guess I'll find out when I get home Sad

Check up at vet school 9am tomorrow.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:17 pm

So, got the results back on the mass, it is Fibrosarcoma. It will almost definitely come back although the time scale is unknown. It could be as early as 6-8 weeks, or as many months.

The options are radiotherapy, which would require a trip to the vet school every week for 6 weeks to be put under general anaesthetic to receive the treatment. The treatment can also have quite unpleasant side effects which can be painful, especially with how close it is to her eye. So we have ruled out radiotherapy.

The other option is have it removed again when it grows back.

The wound in her mouth is infected so she is to continue with the meds she's on, except stopping the septrin and adding baytril, something else and an injection of depocillin every 2 days.

my poor little smooshy bun Sad
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:50 pm

Ohhh, poor girl. Sending a tonne of top up healing vibes your way. And some hugs for yourself. It sounds like you may have a busy/stressful time ahead. Please keep us posted.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:28 pm

You both have my sypathy and love honey. What poor little bun is going through and you her mum of course, I am so sorry. Lots of warm blankeys on the way together with top us snuggly healing vibes. Hugs

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Baytril- that will make everyone happy! Laughing

loads of vibes that you won't see regrowth for a long time.

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, the other med she got is cisapride. We also have an appointment at our own vet on friday evening, just to they can see how the infection is and also supervise us giving her the first depocillin injection.

She seems happy enough this evening, she's had a few barley rings (she's eating more of these than anything else, they are the hardest thing on the menu! but she's asking for them and at the moment she can have just about anything she wants), some pellets and some coriander. The vet said at the check up this morning that her tummy was nice and full (that was without a syringe feed), that she was well hydrated and her colour was good, the only downside was she had some gas in her large intestine.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Glad to hear she is doing better - sending you both a vibe and love top up xxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:23 pm

I'm sorry to read this Sad

I hope it stays away for a very, very long time.

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:26 pm

I am so glad she is getting bettter love, I am sending lots of cuddly blankeys to you both.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm glad to hear she's doing well Hugs

Sending vibe top ups xxx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next