Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Hutch

4 posters

Go down

Happy Hutch Empty Happy Hutch

Post by fluffiebunnie Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Well my Happy Hutch is finally built but I have a few questions....

The run - when you lift the run lid up it folds back onto the hutch doors... how are you meant to get close to the doors??

Ramp - do you have to take the ramp out every night to close the trapdoor? tis a bit awkward as you have to climb into the run to get it out!!

I have put Twinkle in there for a temporary amount of time, but it will be Pickle's home shortly..... she seems to love running back and forth.. it is a good size Very Happy
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Happy Hutch Empty Re: Happy Hutch

Post by Sixer Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:21 pm

We have a similar hutch/run.

I wanted OH to put the hinges on the run lid at the front of the run but he said they were not strong enough to support the lid. In the end we opted not to fix the lid onto the run - it is a very tight fit so nothing is going to shift it despite it not being attached. We then lift it completely off for ease of cleaning - not ideal as it is heavy but it works for us.

OR you could put the hutch at the front of the run, that way you can access the hutch without needing to get into the run.

As far as the ramp goes - yes you do need to remove it to put the trapdoor in place. And be careful because our Gabriel lifted out the trap door jumped down into the run and then out of it as the lid was not on. Thankfully there was no harm done. OH has now cut a large piece of plywood to cover all of the area where the ramp access is to stop him from doing it again.

Hope all this makes sense, they are good hutch/runs but they do have drawbacks!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I have my run lid the wrong way round so I can reach the back of the hutch, but I don't think the hinges would support the lid just hanging that way just left like already said Very Happy I have two bits of wood I use as kind of stands to hold the lid up when its open so there isn't lots of weight just on the hinges

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:44 pm

As long as you don't do what my hubby did and put the whole front of our new Lavender Lodge hutch on the wrong way round. When you opened the doors they fell off because the hinges were on upside down!!! He says he looked at the instructions, but I know better!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:35 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Excellent!
Sixer
Sixer