Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seb's World..

+5
Sixer
jolovesbunnies
BugsBunny
woodwench
The Snowman
9 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Seb's World.. Empty Seb's World..

Post by The Snowman Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:24 am

Construction of Seb's walk-in run started this weekend and has been a nightmare.  Nothing is ever as simple as you hoped it would be! We had major issues with uneven ground, extremely poor instructions, electric screwdrivers not up to the job etc..    But over Saturday and Sunday, we have almost completed the task, with just the roof still to go on. It's currently too windy to affix sheet roofing so I'm hoping tomorrow winds will calm and we can get finished!

Been thinking about dates for Seb. So far, I haven't been able to find any suitable doe's for him to visit.  The lady buns have to be small breed rabbits and a similar size to Seb to be able to use his tunnel system. This has made the search tricky. Our most local rescue has only three rabbits for rehoming, all doe's but no small/dwarf breeds.  The other rescues I've looked at, have a few small breed rabbits, but they are already bonded pairs.   It seems every "single" dwarf rabbit or netherland I come across is a buck!  I did see a beautiful bonded pair of dwarf rabbits in rescue, that I might consider rehoming (I really love them), if still available after Seb is settled with a lady bun.  Seb takes priority at the moment.

I have heard from a friend, about a litter of netherland dwarf bunnies.  Parents can be seen, and the bunnies will be sexed and vet checked before rehoming and will come with change over food. The lady also wants to carry out home checks and will only let them go to suitable accommodation where they will be for family pets only.  I may have to consider this as an option for Seb if there are Doe's available... but will have to sort out vaccinations/spaying etc..   hmmmm    Pros & Cons??    Would it be ok with unneutered Doe until she's ready for spaying??   Advice please x

Last edited by The Snowman on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Seb's World.. Empty Re: Seb's World..

Post by woodwench Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 am

The only thing I'd worry over about the spaying would be the little doe might need her own space to recover from the op. That might mean having to re-bond with Seb even if you could make a set up where they could lie side by side with just wire between.
Have you asked around local vets about potential wives?
And, remember, at the end of the day Seb might veto your choice of doe ...
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:57 am

hmmm... its all too tricky! I am worried about the separation that spaying will bring. Not sure what to do for the best. Hmmm Seb would love a wife and can choose to a certain extent, it just seems smaller breeds are more scarce in rescue... or they are single bucks! Could have a challenge on our hands.
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:26 pm

There are quite a lot of small ones in rescue hun. When I went to see Arabella there where a few small bunnies, one being a nethie. It is a shame there's no females in your local rescue , if you lived near Manchester you could have gotten a female small breed like a dwarf. If you keep searching online I am sure one in a rescue will pop up for you at some point. I hope you find a suitable female soon and wish you luck, maybe someone who lives your way on here as any suggestions. Plus if you rescue one they spay them for you and vaccinate etc.

The breeder sounds better than most but I would maybe hold off and see what pops up in a resuce. But it is your choice.

BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:20 pm

There is a small lionhead at Sesaw that I have spotted -http://www.sesaw.co.uk/small-animals-for-homing/female/

Also Essex guinea pig and rat rescue has a few small single females - http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?inlocation=suffolk&RabAge=&RabSex=f&RabBond=Single&Size=1&pg=1

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:35 pm

What gorgeous buns, I wish I could take them all.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:38 pm

Have you had a look on here? This will show up rescues slightly further afield.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp

Some rescues are happy to rehome further away. My Gabriel came from Honeybunnies in Leicester and BJ is a BARC bunny (Barnsley Animal Rescue and Care). I can recommend both these rescues.

I think these may be near to you - I try and support them when I can

www.pactsanctuary.org

Lionheads are also on the small size so if you have not considered them they would be fine with Seb and your tunnels.

As far as the spaying goes if you decide to take a baby bunny from the accidental litter text books will say that the girl should preferably be spayed before bonding. However it is not impossible to have an unspayed girl in with Seb. When Herbie was bonded with Rosie and Hollie they were 5 months old and unspayed. It was not for another 5 months or so before they were spayed. However we are now reaching the time of the year when spring fever kicks in so that could make things more tricky.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Thank You for all the info and links.  Some I have previously found and looked at and others I hadn't come across. Lots of great info.  I should mention that I have to rely on my OH to get from A to B, so much nearer is better.  Don't get me wrong, my OH is brilliant..   if it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be a huge run built in the garden, he's done so much already.. but there are limits on how much I can expect him to do to help bunny speed dating!!  

I feel pretty unsure about it all today....  Sad

btw... Hermione (Essex) looks perfect for Seb if he thought so too..even the perfect age.. gorgeous...   that's a fair way from here....

Last edited by The Snowman on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added a bit! then repeated myself so edited again.. i'm having a really bad day!)
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 pm

It will all work out one way or the other hun. It will be a few weeks before Seb is ready anyway and it might be that the right girl comes along just at the right time..

The little girl from the accidental litter may be the ticket, but could also have complications...

Don't lose faith hunni... it will all come right in the end.

Complicated little monsters that they are!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Thank You Katie x How does it work if you want to consider bonding your rabbit with one in a rescue which is not local, several hours away? Have you got to be prepared to pay them several visits?? and how do they make sure they are happy with what we have to offer the rescue bun etc.. sorry if this seems daft!!
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Not at all. Some rescues are happy if you can send them pics of your set ups. They might ask for a reference too. The experts at the rescue can get a pretty good idea of which buns will work if you visit and take Seb with you.... like speed dating. He gets to choose his own lady and you may be able to take her home that day. There is still bonding work to be done, but their body language can be assessed to get a best match. They will ask you questions about your situation etc and worth having a convo with them to see how they can help.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 pm

If my OH is up for a little road trip, I might contact the rescue in Essex for a chat and go from there. Thanks again everyone

The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Ok..  The local ND bunnies are no longer available... so that option has gone.. probably a good thing and can no longer cloud judgment! The search continues!
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Like everyone says, it will work out.
It's funny how things do work out where rabbits are concerned. Look at Henry and I, he waited four months while I got my act together and we are now so in love.... Lol!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:39 pm

I agree, it will all work out Hugs

As Katie said, Seb will need a few weeks, in which time the perfect bun might pop up for him Very Happy

FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Good luck love, please keep us posted.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:30 am

It is worth to get in touch with various rescues and alert them to your search. Bigger organisations such as blue cross may transport bunnies from we're they are at the moment. Mostly all of them will assist with the initial bonding. Vernon got onto a speed dating four weeks ago and after 4 hours in the rescue he had chosen D' Layla. They are in love now.
Don't worry time will tell and sort things for you.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:46 am

Today I have emailed our local RSPCA rescue and given them info on Seb's housing including the internal diameter of the tunnels. I am hoping they can advise on any potential dates that could live comfortably with Seb's set up.

I guess standard Rex Rabbits get fairly big and couldn't use tunnelling with a 5.5" (140mm) internal diameter??
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:31 pm

I think a standard rex would just about be OK. Spring is our biggest bunny at 2.5kg and does have a big bottom. Normally I would call her curvy or voluptuous but in this instance big bottomed is the better description in response to your question! She fits down the 5.5 inch tunnels just fine and I am sure if you look on the Runaround website you will see pictures of biggish bunnies using the tunnels. Underneath the fur bunnies are smaller than you think.

Good luck in the ladybun search. I have absolutely no doubt that a rescue will be delighted to rehome a ladybun to you.

Have edited it to add that rex bunnies are very prone to sore hocks, mainly because their fur is so much shorter than regular bunnies. Care is needed on what they will be living on. Just something to think about if you are considering a rex with Seb's set up. Not all rexs will develop problems but a concrete slab base could potentially do so and it does occur to me that the interior of the tunnels could possibly be a problem too scratch
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Thank You Sixer, that's a great help. Our Rabbit runs are on grass but they can only be accessed via tunnels. The RSPCA do have a lop available too... I'm just waiting to hear back from them.
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:37 pm

The right bunny will come along hun, just you wait and see.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Still waiting to hear back from RSPCA, PACT animal sanctuary and still looking for potential lady buns for Seb, so no news there..  BUT we have finished the 12ft x12ft run....at last!!

Seb's exercise space! My daughter has been in there with a picnic blanket to spend time with Seb.
Seb's World.. SEB201_zps7xtcrjb4

Seb has a new little hidey house in there...although he spends more time on top of it!

Seb's World.. SEB203_zps6sefg06f

Seb has 16ft of tunnel to go to and from his run as he pleases!  

Seb's World.. SEB204_zpsy3rj8hxw

I will add some photos of Seb enjoying his space soon...  he was busy in his hutch grooming earlier when I popped out to take a couple of quick snaps.
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Lucky boy. Seb should take those pics along when he goes on a date. If he showed them to any doe they would fall over backwards to please him and become his wife ... Not that he needs property to attract a doe. He's one good looking dude.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks Woodwench! Lets hope he finds his special little lady soon Love . We have everything in place ready for a second bun!
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:36 pm

Wow and we'll done.
Al fingers and paws crossed for a speedy dating event!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next