Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

will two neutered bucks live together?

2 posters

Go down

will two neutered bucks live together? Empty will two neutered bucks live together?

Post by freecycle_rabbit Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:24 am

Hi Everyone,
As some of you will know from my other thread, sadly my girl Tia is not going to be here much longer. It brings tears to my eyes, knowing that if she doesn't make the decision soon, that i will have to Sad .
When she leaves, she will leave behind Tor, who is her devoted husband and he will need a partner. Whilst i understand it may not be every body's way, but my way of dealing with loss (i've had a few) is to look forwards and think of who i can give love to next. As i have no children wanting to cuddle them all the time i usually look for the most difficult rescue bunnies i can find, and give them a life where they can do their own thing, without stress or hassle.

Anyway, right now i have my 4 y/o nephews (neutered buck) rabbit staying with me for a few weeks while they move house and go on holiday. He has his own small temporary purpose built for him run in our front garden, and lives alone. Typically of a working family with two small children he has been a little neglected and no one really has time for him.
He is quite friendly, and now he knows me will happily let me cuddle him and tickle behind his ears and seems quite a loving bunny boy. They have tried twice to get him a female companion, and both times found the female dead a few weeks later with no sign of fighting or any problems. As far as i know they introduced them properly and slowly, but wasn't involved so dont know details.

So, i was thinking possibly , seeing as they are so busy, that with a bit of persuasion, they might be happy for me to keep him and am wondering how likely it would be for him to get along with my bunny boy Tor

Tor is very loving, very attention seeking, soppy, friendly, nosey but a little bit bossy. He was quite bossy with Tia and time to time used to 'round her up' when he felt the need. Now he will just sit with her while she does nothing, but will also still try to move her about for his convenience.

Once they are bonded, they will be living in what is currently Tor's (and Tias) territory

What are your thoughts or experiences with two neutered bucks getting to know each other and becoming bonded?
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2012-11-16

https://folksy.com/shops/CustomHandmade

Back to top Go down

will two neutered bucks live together? Empty Re: will two neutered bucks live together?

Post by woodwench Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 pm

First, Tor is used to living with a doe. Although neutered this buck is still a buck and will have retained some buck characteristics after neutering. So I'd say it's a slim chance they would get along.
Second, I would want that buck checked out health wise; if two does have died without obvious reasons, within a couple of weeks of living with him, it may be he has something catching.... he may be a carrier.... of something. I'd see a vet and have a thorough check up done, including blood tests.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

will two neutered bucks live together? Empty Re: will two neutered bucks live together?

Post by freecycle_rabbit Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I am thinking, regardless of any potential health problems that the two would probably not get along, both are used to being dominant males, and i dont think they would work together. Lovely thought, but probably not one that will work.

The two partners the other rabbit, Eyes (named by a three year old) both came from pets at home, and i have not heard of Pets at Home rabbits, but it does seem a bit strange.

Thanks for your helpx
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2012-11-16

https://folksy.com/shops/CustomHandmade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down