Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Behaviour issues

4 posters

Go down

Behaviour issues Empty Behaviour issues

Post by gemma997 Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:55 pm

So trying to start the bonding with the transformers, jetfire was moved into the dining room and bang soundwave decided to live up to his name attacking everyone actually hunting them down like he was a lion, he has destroyed his hutch and litter tray. Even in neutral territory he is the same doesn't matter who is near by they are getting it.
We moved jetfire back out and he has calmed down again, everytime he is aware she is in the house he turns into a demon(he wasn't the most friendly rabbit but was aways a mummy's boy).
I contacted a rabbit charity for advice on aggressive bunnies and they came back with:

Do they have company? If not they usually become more protective of themselves and their territory.
Do they have enough space? If confined to small areas, they can become more aggressive and protective of their areas due to frustration and pain caused by lack of exercise
Do they get ignored/irregular attention? If so, then it can be overwhelming when humans suddenly want to be interactive with them.
Are they unwell? Sudden changes in behaviour can often be indicitive of rabbits being unwell. As they are masters at disguising weakness for their own protection, changes in protective behaviours such as this can often be an indication of an underlying health problem, and a vet check (with a rabbit-savvy vet) is often advisable.

To which I had to reply I am attempting bonding he is just freaking out, he has near enough an entire house to run about in, he constantly gets attention even from john who regularly gets attacked by soundwave and he has just had a check up and he is in perfect health.
To which I got no reply so presume it because they can't help.

Tried scent swapping as well with the same result.
Pet remedy not working on him.

Can rabbits be chemically unbalanced?
Could he have been so in love with Miranda he doesn't want anyone else and can that explain the hunting?

I know it to early for the bonding to be working but just worried incase there something really up with my baby boy.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Behaviour issues Empty Re: Behaviour issues

Post by woodwench Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Two things: it is possible he is still greiving Miranda and he will regard everywhere in the house he is used to going as his territory and so Jetfire will be an interloper.
Can you get them somewhere entirely nuetral and try introducing them there?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:42 pm

I am so sorry this isn't going well for you love and I think it is possible that he is still grieving.   I haven't had much bonding experience so I cannot really help.  I remember when we had two buns we had to keep separate and they bonded by our changing their hay baskets over but it took quite a while.  I hope it works out for you soon hun, she sound exhausted. Hugs

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:43 pm

We been using the wee room at the back he never in there it our junk room it's just when she about everyone is fair game to him he actually looked as though he stalked John and bit him in the bum(it was so funny)  but same time quite freaky,  he has also chased my friend who is experienced in bunnies around the room.

Tried the swapping of poop, they now have an extra soft toy each and I'm going to try swapping that over in a few weeks I'm no longer trying to bond them,  need to think of their well beings at the moment.

We have decided to completely change the dining room, new furniture and all that so will try moving her back in then while it all different to him as well.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:45 am

so sorry the bonding isn't going so well. I am in same position in that I started bonding my buns yesterday with mixed results.

This is my first experience too so can't offer any advice except to say that it helps to remember that it's a process and we have to take it slowly but we WILL get there in the end.

I definitely was emotional yesterday with how my session ended but when the buns got individual floor time last night they were happily running around and flopping like nothing had happened!

Hope today is better for you.
Isobel xx

xx
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content