Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had a big scare with Molly at the weekend.

5 posters

Go down

Had a big scare with Molly at the weekend. Empty Had a big scare with Molly at the weekend.

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:00 pm

Friday morning, only half of my welcoming committee came to greet me. Molly was lying down and refusing to get up. I picked her up to check her over and she was freezing cold. Couldn't get her to eat. Took them both downstairs with me so I could observe.

She was going from lying to thrashing around. Phoned the vet. No vet in until 2pm. Arghh!

I kept them downstairs. Persisted trying to feed her. Got a heat pad out. Would she sit on it? Nope! No I managed to get her to nibble some plantain so that was a bit of a relief.  

I noticed she was standing funny, yet hopping fine. So this confirmed my suspicions to me, tummy ache!!

Went to the vet at 2. He examined her and advised she had a massive build up of gas in her tummy and this had of course led to stasis Sad He gave her 3 injections. The Magic metaclopromide, an anti biotic and a steroid.

Her temp was so low it didn't even register on the thermometer Sad

She didn't perk up the rest of the day. I was getting really scared because my two are usually fine after they've been given the drugs. I tried to syringe feed her early evening but she was going ballistic and just letting it fall out of her mouth.

I had to go out that evening as it was my dads birthday. When I got home there was no improvement. Eaten nothing and no poop. Took them downstairs again and she just kept trying to get away from us all. Junior included Sad I freaked because Thumper did this the day she died.

Enough was enough, roped OH into helping me get some food down her. She didn't put up too much of a fight, which in itself was worrying too Sad Got nearly a whole 15ml syringe down her. Minus the bits that got splattered everywhere!

Still no improvement in the morning. We had a follow up appt at the vet 9:30 so off we went. Packed a bag for them because I honestly thought she would be admitted. First thing the vet said was "she's still freezing" But then she put Molly on the table and she was pooping cheers

More metaclopromide, more anti biotics and a pain killer. She finally began to nibble late Saturday afternoon.

It took a lot out of her and she has taken a good few days to get back to being Molly.

I genuinely think she might have died if we hadn't got that syringe feed down her. It was like she'd just given up.

Poor Molly Moo Face!!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Had a big scare with Molly at the weekend. Empty Re: Had a big scare with Molly at the weekend.

Post by gemma997 Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:34 pm

What a fright you must have got,
Hope she bounces back to her old self

Sending lots of loves from us
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Had a big scare with Molly at the weekend. Empty Re: Had a big scare with Molly at the weekend.

Post by freecycle_rabbit Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:07 pm

oh no! gosh i would have been in a panic too, you poor thing, and poor Molly too.

Hope all is well now poor thing

hugs
xxx
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2012-11-16

https://folksy.com/shops/CustomHandmade

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:22 pm

Scary... !
Is she progressing well?
What do you think caused it?
Does she eat a lot of greens?
The only time I had a bun as bad as that was Clawed when I was a newbie bun mum. She ate too much clover that I "lovingly" gathered for her and it gassed her up. She had a very delicate tum for such a tough bun. I soon discovered she couldn't eat greens of any description without some kind of tummy upset.

Give her lots of nose rubs from me and Henry.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:32 pm

Thank guys. I will pass your well wishes on to her Smile

She is just about there. Certainly has her appetite back. She is perhaps a little disgruntled because I'm not being very adventurous on the food front just yet. I'm easing her in slowly!!! But she's getting her favourite Alfalfa King Timothy hay in abundance so I'm not being completely mean!

I think it was kale that did it. It was the only different thing she had to eat the night before (I blame Asda for not having cavolo Nero in Laughing). They have had kale a million times over but it seems to much of a coincidence.

They'll not be having it again!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:18 am

That sounds terrifying darling, I can imagine it has really taken it out of you. I am so glad the little love is better and you managed to get some food inside her. Please give her a cuddle from her auntie Jo jo.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down