Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lotta needs to have her incisors removed :-(

+3
buddabun
March Hare
Lola_Lotta
7 posters

Go down

Lotta needs to have her incisors removed :-( Empty Lotta needs to have her incisors removed :-(

Post by Lola_Lotta Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi girls,

2 weeks ago I took Lola and Lotta for their Mixy jab and whilst there they both had a check up as they are new to me (from a pet shop). Lola was fine but Lotta's teeth were overgrown. She cut them and said that unfortunatly some rabbits have problems with their teething growing so quick.

Anyway, took them back today (excatly 2 weeks later) for another jab and she check them out again. Again, Lola was fine but once again Lotta's teeth are way overgrown so she has advised me to book her in to have her incisors removed.

Am gonna phone up tomorrow and book an appointment for next week :-( Sad

My poor baby girl :-(

Jenny x
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Lotta needs to have her incisors removed :-( Empty Re: Lotta needs to have her incisors removed :-(

Post by March Hare Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Awww, it IS worrying, isn't it? :Hugs: But my little Binky has had his incisors removed, and he still eats just like he did before (better!). I thought I would need to fix him soft food and everything, but he proved me wrong! He simply learned to shift the food to the sides of his mouth and use his molars. He actually eats better without his incisors than he could with his horrid curly misshapen ones. So I am sure that your bunny will get along JUST fine!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy xxxxx
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Lotta needs to have her incisors removed :-( Empty Re: Lotta needs to have her incisors removed :-(

Post by Lola_Lotta Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Thanks hun, fingers crossed she wil be like your Binky :-) Will let you know when it happens xx
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by March Hare Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:59 pm

Will be watching anxiously for an update! Sending LOADS of vibes for Lotta, and a huge noserub to her! xxxxx
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 am

Jack had hers removed. She did end up with molar spurs afterwards which apparently can be something to watch for with toothless buns but that was mainly as she took ages to adapt to eating (she has always been fussy). She gets on fine now, eats slower than the two boys but that's probably because they're greedy gits!

All that happens now is she needs her veggies cutting small ish so she can fit them in her mouth (she still tried to gum whole carrots though bless her :luv:)

It was a scary op for us and Jack did develop a nasty post-op infection in her tooth roots but the vets didn't diagnose it even though it was pus-y and smelled rotten. Just keep an eye on her and she will adapt fine to being toothless I'm sure Very Happy

Jack is fine and happy now by the way bless her
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:40 am

hiya- Foxglove has had her incisors removed and has to have her molars burred every 6 weeks and is doing fine. I cut her veg leaves eg spring greens into strips but apart from that she eats hay and pellets normally. and she still chews stuff - things just get gummed instead! Oh also if they don't get the teeth out fully first time they can regrow - that has happened with Foxy and she has had them done again - my vets do it free of charge coz is their mess up for not getting the whole lot out.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks everyone for the advice and words to make me feel better. Will be phoning for an appointment today so hopefully it will be sometime next week.

Will keep you posted.

Jenny x
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ratface Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:44 am

My buns who had their incisors removed managed much better post-removal! My vet said mallocluded teeth are basically useless anyway, just get in the way and can put rabbits off their food when they start getting too long. One of mine had to have his burred weekly as they grew back enough to cause problems so quickly!
Mine adapted fine, the important thing is not to suddenly switch to lots of soft food, or they may get molar problems. Encourage a normal high fibre diet with lots of hay - I chopped some up and left some long so they had a choice. I used to feed the chopped timothy hay but I'm not sure you can get it anymore, it was like Readigrass (but tim hay). Readigrass can be fed but not in too high amounts due to the high calcium & protein content.
I let the grass grow a bit longer in the bunnies' patch in the garden and they managed that fine, that encourages wear too. I'd pull up some long grass daily for them (don't use mown grass, and remove any excess from the cage if they leave it too long)
Veg that encourages the molars to wear is good - mine got chopped carrot as a treat, but then it was dark leafy veg like spring greens (cut into strips, about 6-8" x about 1/3" wide), carrot tops, curly kale, romaine lettuce (again, in strips), as well as stuff like dandelion leaves - stuff which needs 'grinding' by the molars rather than 'chomping' like soft stuff (carrots, fruit). I cut down on pellets to encourage hay consumption, but apparently the Science Selective pellets are shaped for good molar wear, mine got a mix of mostly these with a few Excel pellets (because my vet used Excel, I wanted their tummies to be used to it incase they needed to be admitted in an emergency and I had no time to grab the SS) and then a few porridge oats if they started to lose weight.
By switching to this diet, my incisorless bun with bad molars went from dentals under GA every 4-6 weeks, to not needing one in 6 months! And the other two never needed one, one of them had slightly longer molars but not enough to cause problems.
ratface
ratface
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Generally for rabbits with severely mallocluded inciors removal is the best option and they can make a very swift recovery from the operation. When I had Inca's teeth removed I was warned to expect to syringe feed him for 4-5 days post-op.....the little monkey was eating within 15 minutes of arriving home.

They do need their food specially prepared into 'bitesized' pieces as they can no longer slice it up themselves but you will be amazed what they can fit into their mouths once they have grasped using their lips to grab things.

My vet always stitches the gum after removal to close the cavity but I know some other vets don't and this can lead to a prolonged healing time and infection at the removal site, well worth asking what your vets stance on this is.

I asked my vets what the regrowth statistics are like and they estimated 1 in 10 will need further surgery. Often however it's just the peg teeth that regrow rather than th incisos themselves as the pulp is much harder to access and destroy in these small teeth. If this is the case then sometimes there re other options than repeat surgery.

HTH.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I hope she'll be OK, it's worrying, but it'll be better for her Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks everyone, booked her in this morning for Tuesday next week. She has to go in at 8.30am and be in all day - poor Lola will miss her loads
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi everyone,

Lotta is having them out tomorrow. Gotta take her in for 8.30am (a pain with a 3 year old and 13 month old !)

Jenny x
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Best of luck for tomorrow, I'll have everything crossed.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:29 am

Fingers and toes crossed for Lotta today!

Thinking of you
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:13 am

Good luck today! Foxglove and I are thinking of her. albino
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks everyone ! Dropped her off, if I haven't heard from them by 2pm I have to call and see how she is doing and when I can pick her up.

Had to explain to my 3 year old why we had to leave her there, bless him, he was upset saying he loved her and wanted to keep her and didn't want a different one. He thought she was staying there for good, he is very happy that when he gets home from nursery we will probably be able to pick her up (he finishes at 2.50pm).

Lola is in her hutch very subdued (sp) cos she missing her. They really do love each other as I watch them groom each other and snuggle up with each other at night - bless um !

Will keep you posted and thanks for all the good luck wishes :-)

Jenny x
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:13 am

I'll check in for an update later, be aware that they may be standoffish with each other when you first get Lotta home because she will smell different so watch them closely during repairing. Usually with pairs they go to the vets together so they are seperated for the minimal amount of time.

Also make sure they stay inside tonight, GA lowers a buns body temperature an they struggle to self-regulate post-op. It will also allow you to check she is eating, drinking and pooing again OK.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by March Hare Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:07 am

Any news on how Lotta is doing? I have been thinking about her all day!!! xxx
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:13 am

hopwe the op went well? when i take one of my bonded pairs in for an op - i take them in together and they both stay at the vets for the day. The vets are fine with this and then the bunnies are there to comfort each other and then you don't have the worry of them being funny with each other.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down