Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update: Lola & Lotta

+2
racheld69
Lola_Lotta
6 posters

Go down

Update:  Lola & Lotta Empty Update: Lola & Lotta

Post by Lola_Lotta Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi,

Well picked them up at 3pm. All went ok and they had been eating a little at the vets.

Whilst at the vets I cleaned all their hutch out and had it all lovely and clean only to be told at the vets they I can only use shredded paper cos woodchippings and straw will stick to the wound ! So got home and had to take it all out again and me and the kids shredded god knows how many newspapers.

Got them out the carrier and they are all subdued, bless um ! Am now worried about picking them up in case I hurt them :o(

Lola had a tiny little nibble on some cabbage and Lotta ate a little bit more but neither of them are that interested, so am now worried they won't eat and I will have to take them back tomorrow.

If they do eat then they go for a check up on Saturday morning and then I will have to make another appointment for about a weeks time.

God I know since having kids that you turn into this worrier and worry about them all the time but seriously, didn't think I would worry this much over the rabbits, lol. I am worried that I will hurt them when I pick them up, I am worried that when I try and pick them up they shoot from my hand and kick out and seriously hurt themselves where their wound is, I am worried they won't eat and have to go back to the vets, god the list could go on and on, lol !

Anyway, any tips ?

TIA
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Update:  Lola & Lotta Empty Re: Update: Lola & Lotta

Post by racheld69 Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:01 pm

glad they are ok. When Foxglove was done she took a couple of hours to start getting back to normal and then suddenley after 3/4 hours of nibbling she just ate everything in sight and was back to her naughty tricks.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:41 pm

Leave them be for a while, the clean hutch is a good idea, just keep an eye that they don't go for their stitches. Bertie took a day to come round, de-plumming is not nearly as invasive as a spey, but each rabbit will respond differently. If they haven't eaten for a while, play with some hay, rub it across their cheeks etc, try and get them interested, but don't panic, they've had big surgery, they need R & R.
I'm glad they pulled through ok Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks everyone !

Lotta has been eating her veg but Lola doesn't seem bothered at the moment, will check on them just before bed and hope for the best.
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:19 pm

Neither of our girlies ate on the day of their op. I just left their fave foods in with them overnight and by the next morning their appetites had returned. All of our buns adore Burns Dried Plantain so I always use that to tempt them to eat.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:17 pm

try offering them chives, it increases appetite. When Angel was done she didnt eat for ages and I very nearly took her back to the vets, but she was just so drowsy. I gave her lots of sweet things she gets as treats, like red grapes, and that was all she ate for about 24 hrs then she started eating more things.

I didnt pick Angel up for at least 24 hours after her op but then I did and was just very slow and gentle & let her lead the way. Smile

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi thanks again everyone,

This morning I have picked them both up to check their wounds, all good :o)

Lotta is eating the veg but not the pellets or hay. Lotta doesn't seem to be eating much at all, she has had a nibble of veg but that's it !!!

Was wondering, if I get them red grapes do I just cut them in half ?

Sorry if it seems a dumb question, just want them to eat. They are still very quite and justing sleeping. When should I get them out into their run for some exercise ?

TIA
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:41 pm

When mine get grapes I dont cut them. They love them and are sugary enough to tempt an otherwise not hungry rabbit.

Dont worry about asking stupid questions! We none of us are born knowing how to look after everything all the time, that's what this forum is for!

I am trying to remember... if it is a smallish run it might be ok but my vet said Angel was not to be leaping about in the air or doing big jumps for 7 days after her op. So we kept her in her large indoor cage where she could stretch and hop from end to end and stand up but not get up to a big run or anything. I could be wrong though so maybe call your vet and ask, or someone else on here might know better than me. Smile

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Lola_Lotta Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:23 pm

thanks, gave the grapes but they haven't touched them but thankfully Lola has eaten the carrot I put in (her fave).

Don't think I will risk the run till after Saturday (they go for a check up) as they do like to leap and run really fast, etc.

Thanks again
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:36 pm

not a problem at all Smile

senatorvass