Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding Objectives? - Happy Update

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bonding Objectives? - Happy Update Empty Bonding Objectives?

Post by Niki Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:27 am

What is required from bonding 2 buns?
My dutch boy is currently at a local rescue trying to be bonded, i was told that because of his age (3.5/4yrs) & depending on the length of time he'd been neutered he may not show an interest & he has to show dominance over the doe or she will think he's another female.
He's lived with me since August and hasn't met my bonded pair but in his previous home he did meet his previous owners bonded pair but he & the other boy didn't get on & had lived as a single bun.

There has been no bloodshed & minimal contact between the pair of them. I watched their initial meet yesterday & he submitted to the female, he didn't chase her at all, he did go up to her a 2nd time; she replied with a lunge & off he scarpered.
I've rang the rescue today & they are still at opposite ends of the stable.
I always thought the idea of bonding was to form a friendship, be groomed, lay together etc is this wrong?

My concerns are that if i bring them home together into a smaller space (my shed) my boy will be on his "own turf" & there won't be as much room to separate from one another. If they don't "get on" how will they share anything?

These are pics from their meet yesterday, he did put his head under hers just after this pic
Bonding Objectives? - Happy Update SmeeMiffy418108

They kept their distance from one another for the 30mins that i observed them for
Bonding Objectives? - Happy Update SmeeMiffy118108

Should i take this as encouraging or just that these 2 are not compatible? Would he be better with a female smaller/same size as himself or better on his own?

Thanks in advance

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Bonding Objectives? - Happy Update Empty Re: Bonding Objectives? - Happy Update

Post by March Hare Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:00 am

He does not have to show dominance over the doe. It is up to the two of them to work out their hierarchy. MANY does are the dominant one in a pair or group, and that is absolutely normal and fine. Your two have no fighting, no fur pulling, etc, which is VERY good! Personally, I think that it looks like they are in too large of an area for bonding. There is SO much space that there is absolutely no need for them to be close to each other, and is giving them too much opportunity to totally ignore each other. I would substantially cut down the amount of space that they have myself.
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:26 am

i agree with March Hare incl. the area is too large for bonding - needs to be smaller with lots of things in to distract them like topys and boxes and stuff.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:35 am

Both myself & my OH thought exactly the same when we saw the stable but this is how the rescue do it. They are doing exactly what you say & are ignoring one another. I'm ringing the rescue today to find out what's happened overnight as after all the info i've gleaned they won't "bond" in such large space

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by March Hare Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:23 pm

That is sadly probably true. In a space that large, what they are doing is co-existing and tolerating each other, not bonding. There is enough space there for them to each have their own little territory independant of each other, and there is no need for them to bond. They are just carrying on with their own independant lives. They need a much smaller space where they will have to interact with each other, and be tempted to eat together and lie close to one another.
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:03 pm

I have to agree with the space issue, it may help to stop them fighting but at the same time this is because they are able to avoid each other. This may mean when you actually get them home things could suddenly turn sour because they havn't been in close enough contact to establish a hierachy, especially given the relative size of a hutch in comparison to the stable.

I start all my bondings in a pet carrier and move to a indoor cage after a few hours....the cages are approx. 1 meter long to give you an idea of the bonding area I use!

Last edited by Sooz on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:38 pm

As for the male/female side of things, my doe is the dominant bun in my pair. After she was introduced, Wolfgang started off bonking her stupid right away, then they had a bust up as she was not going to be such a push over. After some parallel living, they sorted out who was boss - her! - and have got on with living together very happily.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:23 pm

NickieM wrote:As for the male/female side of things, my doe is the dominant bun in my pair. After she was introduced, Wolfgang started off bonking her stupid right away, then they had a bust up as she was not going to be such a push over. After some parallel living, they sorted out who was boss - her! - and have got on with living together very happily.

In my 2 bucks:1 doe trio the doe is in charge. I would say it's usually 50/50 which gender will end up dominant and all that matters is that at leastone of them is laidback enough to allow the other to take charge. Quite often the dominant rabbit is the one you don't expect as well Rolling Eyes
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Sooz wrote:I have to agree with the space issue, it may help to stop them fighting but at the same time this is because they are able to avoid each other. This may mean when you actually get them home things could suddenly turn sour because they havn't been in close enough contact to establish a hierachy, especially given the relative size of a hutch in comparison to the stable.

I start all my bondings in a pet carrier and move to a indoor cage after a few hours....the cages are approx. 1 meter long to give you an idea of the bonding area I use!

This is my fear if i were to bring them home Sad I obviously don't want either of them injured & I'm not experienced in bonding buns; my piggy bondings have usually ended in disaster Sad

I'm not happy with bringing them home as they are & haven't heard from the rescue yet as to how they are today, tho' i suspect exactly they'll be exactly the same

Thank you everyone Smile

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:58 am

Niki wrote:
Sooz wrote:I have to agree with the space issue, it may help to stop them fighting but at the same time this is because they are able to avoid each other. This may mean when you actually get them home things could suddenly turn sour because they havn't been in close enough contact to establish a hierachy, especially given the relative size of a hutch in comparison to the stable.

This is my fear if i were to bring them home Sad I obviously don't want either of them injured & I'm not experienced in bonding buns; my piggy bondings have usually ended in disaster Sad

I'm not happy with bringing them home as they are & haven't heard from the rescue yet as to how they are today, tho' i suspect exactly they'll be exactly the same

Thank you everyone Smile

Could you tell the rescue that you are scared that they might look bonded there because of the space, but may start fighting in a smaller area as you don't have that amount of space for them. Ask if they will try them in a much smaller space to see how they get on. At least you would have your mind put at rest and it might sort of politely point out to the rescue that maybe their bonding area is a bit too big, without appearing to be telling them how to do things.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 pm

NickieM wrote:
Niki wrote:

Thank you everyone Smile

Could you tell the rescue that you are scared that they might look bonded there because of the space, but may start fighting in a smaller area as you don't have that amount of space for them. Ask if they will try them in a much smaller space to see how they get on. At least you would have your mind put at rest and it might sort of politely point out to the rescue that maybe their bonding area is a bit too big, without appearing to be telling them how to do things.

I conveyed my fears today & was told they would try them in a smaller space as they are still apart & my boy is scaring her from his constant foot stamping (because of the strange noises) & she's scaring him when she jumps at him, what a pair! :luv:
They also said they wouldn't let them go together until they are 100% sure they are bonded, i feel much happier & feel quite confident that they will bond given the smaller space as the doe is a lovely friendly girl & my boy's not aggressive either Smile

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:22 pm

I hope that has put your mind at rest, I'm sure once they are living in close quarters it wont be long until they are snuggled & grooming.

Best of luck for a successful bond Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by March Hare Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:55 pm

That is VERY encouraging! Very Happy It is very good that they are listening and addressing your concerns. Fingers and paws firmly crossed for a soon-to-be loved up couple!!! :luv:
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:48 pm

That is really good. Hopefully it wont be too long before they get friendly and you can bring them home.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:20 am

Thank you everyone Very Happy I can't wait to see him again, hopefully with his laydee. I shall keep you posted Smile

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Bonding Objectives? - Happy Update Empty SAD UPDATE

Post by Niki Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 pm

The update is very sad Sad
Miffy (Smee's intended) became ill Weds, she was passing jelly, no poops but was eating & seemed ok in herself. She was taken to the vets & discharged today because she was much better (eating, drinking, pooping) but still on meds. She'd been given her meds at the shelter but sadly an hour later she had passed away. Sad
I'm so upset as this is the 2nd bunny who's gone. The first one i chose for Smee became ill the day he was supposed to meet her, similar symptoms, passing jelly & died 2 days later at the vets, she was eating etc at 6am, 7am had passed away, It was thought it was a complication of her spay, yet her 2 babies who shared with her were & still are fine.

The shelter were going to ask the vets to do a PM on Miffy to try & determine what was wrong, the lab results from fecal matter that was sent away won't be back until Friday & this means i cannot bring Smee home until they know what it is as i have other buns & other animals Sad
At the moment he is fine as are the other bunnies, including the young ones.

Has anyone had any experience of this? I am so worried Sad

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:48 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. The jelly stools usually indicate an infection in the gastro-intestinal tract which causes it to produce extra mucus to try and lubricate it, thus soothing any particles which pass through it.

It is often termed Mucoid Enteritis, though can occur with or due to other conditions. ME is most often seen in young weanling rabbits though and is very unusual in adults.

It is highly contagious & usually spreads quickly though kits, weanlings and immunocompromised rabbits.

Another option is Coccidia but again this is not normally a killer in adult rabbits and usually presents with bloat & diahorrea too.

Quarantining is certainly sensible until the feacal results have come back and you know what you are dealing with. I am so sorry this has happened to you and I really hope it's nothing serious.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 pm

The vets were treating Miffy for coccidia "just in case" but neither she nor Holly (other bun) were young buns. Miffy was aged approx 2 yrs, Holly 11 months, she also had 2 4 month old babies with her when she became ill, thankfully they are still well.

Could it be a very tragic coincidence?

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:07 pm

It could be but it seems unlikely. It's probably best to treat it as the worst case scenario i.e. it is contagious until proven otherwise by the vets.

When I was running a rescue we had a Coccidia outbreak at a foster carers and it was awful. Oddly she lost a lot of adult rabbits to it and we still don't know why but it originated from a litter of weanlings Hmmm.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:48 pm

Thank you Smile Hopefully i will receive some good news from the Shelter friday and will be able to bring my boy home Smile

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:51 am

oh no. so sorry to hear this sad news. Hope Smee is fine.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Bonding Objectives? - Happy Update Empty Happy Update

Post by Niki Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:53 pm

Thought i'd update this after everyone's help. My boy has been home 10 days as the PM on Miffy bun was clear & both he & the other buns were fine & both myself & the shelter thought it best he be at home. He's continued to be fine at home & has settled in well. Today i received the best news; the fecal samples that were taken came back clear & the shelter too has been given the all clear Very Happy

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by March Hare Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am

That is FANTASTIC news!!! Very Happy You must be SO incredibly relieved! Very Happy
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:47 pm

Thats brilliant news, you must be so relieved to have your boy home. Are there plans for anymore bonding attempts at some stage?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:10 am

I am over-joyed! The shed was empty without him. Yes there are plans, i have a dutch girl reserved at another rescue, i've been waiting for the all clear from the shelter & the girly has been recovering from her spay, as soon as is possible for them to meet bonding will start. Very Happy

Niki
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next