Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie!

+6
Honeybunny
Siona
Happy Hoppers
Catsknickers
buddabun
Jay
10 posters

Go down

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! Empty A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie!

Post by Jay Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:06 am

I can't believe I've lived here for 11 years and not been here before Rolling Eyes It's only 40 mins in the car.

Anyways, I difress...the weather was lovely when we got there, and quickly went cloudy, so these aren't the best pics, but will give you an idea.
Andrew LLoyd Webber owns the down now, and has fenced most of it off, which is good for preservation, but there was such a limited amount we could walk on we couldn't really get a feel for it. Also, there wasn't a single bit of information, no signs, nothing, we had to find it with a 12th Century map we got off the web, and a bit of help from Google earth.
Again, I think that's to preserve the Down, they are pretty fragile.

This is the view up to the Beech Hanger as mentioned in the book
A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! CopyofWatershipDown3Medium

These are on top of the down, there are woods to the Right, where the Warren was. The field to the left was fenced off, so we couldn't go right on the top

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! WatershipDown5Medium

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! WatershipDown7Medium

and this is looking down the Down, you can see Nuthanger farm in the middle, where they got the 2 penned REW's from.

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! WatershipDown22Medium

And down toward Lloyd webbers pad. The woods on the left are the sames, where the Warren was built. They are on a really steep slope........

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! WatershipDown24Medium

..........and there's clearly bunnies still there, although they didn't want us to see them!

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! WatershipDown18Medium

and the surrounding view..it really is God's own country up there. We're gonna go back and explore some more Smile

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! WatershipDown26Medium

There's some photos on this site taken before the fencing was put up

Exclusive to HH, we bought Bertie a bouquet back of Watership foliage..I know.... Laughing
A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! WatershipDown28Medium
Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! Empty Re: A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie!

Post by buddabun Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:09 am

wow! Nuthanger farm !!!

where's the "starstruck" smiley.

it looked wonderful and serene up there Jay... did you have fun? It's not far from Middle Wallop is it?

x
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie! Empty Re: A walk on watership down & exclusive pic of Bertie!

Post by Jay Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:15 am

buddabun wrote:wow! Nuthanger farm !!!

where's the "starstruck" smiley.

it looked wonderful and serene up there Jay... did you have fun? It's not far from Middle Wallop is it?

x
It's funny you say that cos we were a bit starstruck, it really was like going to a really famous buidling or similar!
It was lvely up there, really windy, but very serene, and the most amazing views. It's nearest town is Kingsclere, you park by the road, and it's a good 3/4 hike to the down.
Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:26 am

I could do with a day out there !!

Great photos Jay. Bertie looks very pleased with himself Laughing

Janex Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Jay this is wonderful. It looks beautiful. I have never read the book or seen the film for fear I would cry.... and look at gorgeous Bertie :luv:
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:14 pm

What wonderful pictures, sadly I am dead jealous. I'm loving the watership down bouquet too....you could sell them to all us start struck owners Laughing
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Siona Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:09 pm

Wowwwww........ I only read the book once cos it was so sad but I loved it. That's so cool! Very Happy

Siona
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 94

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybunny Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:12 pm

Wonderful pics and a great packed lunch for Bertie! Very Happy

Honeybunny
Rescuer

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by McQueen Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:59 pm

I live quite close to the location where watership down was based on. I am thinking of scattering my late rabbit’s ashes there one day.
McQueen
McQueen
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://www.goldenbunnies.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by nethie Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:01 pm

great photos, bertie looks very pleased Wink

nethie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2334
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:10 pm

McQueen wrote:I live quite close to the location where watership down was based on. I am thinking of scattering my late rabbit’s ashes there one day.

That's so odd that you say that, cos as we were walking away yesterday, Paul said, we'll bring Bertie here one day and let him fly...and I knew exactly what he meant. I can't think of a nicer place to let him go ...starts welling up thinking about it... Crying or Very sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunbuns Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Bertie is gorgeous!!!
Bunbuns
Bunbuns
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 877

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagomorph Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Catswhiskas wrote:Jay this is wonderful. It looks beautiful. I have never read the book or seen the film for fear I would cry.... and look at gorgeous Bertie :luv:

Yes you'll cry but I think you should still watch it... Wave .
Great pictures Jay, gives the book a real perspective.

Neil
Lagomorph
Lagomorph
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 226

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down