Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stardust has attacked me and Alex

+4
Happy Hoppers
NickieM
racheld69
senatorvass
8 posters

Go down

Stardust has attacked me and Alex Empty Stardust has attacked me and Alex

Post by senatorvass Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:39 pm

We were out in the garden for a while doing various things and I was investigating the new rabbit burrow, they are doing one a day now so as soon as we fill in they do it again. We do not object to burrows in themselves but the one we filled in over the weekend went under the enclosure fence and out the other side so obviously that is not acceptable. So this one that I was working on - it looked like it was headed in the same direction so I decided to get down there and have a good look at it.

Alex was helping me. We were going to fill it in with some soil, rocks, and then a brick (that was the plan)

Stardust went mental, growling like I have never heard a rabbit growl before, and lunging for us, he bit onto my hand HARD. I was wearing thick gardening gloves and although he didnt break the skin I still cried out in pain. I shook him off he came right back with claws and teeth. Still growling. Alex didnt understand what was happening and reached forwards towards my hand right as I detached SD from my hand again, so DS lunged for Alex's arm Mad Evil or Very Mad The ONLY thing that saved Alex from a very serious injury as SD was going full on attack was me pushing my hand into the range of SD's mouth so Alex's arm was out of danger. I picked Alex up and put him out of the enclosure and he was crying, totally confused what had happened and I was furious.

I went back to the burrow and looked at it more deeply, all the while SD was growling & lunging at me. I found that if I lined the part right next to the fence with bricks then they could keep the rest which runs the length of the enclosure, opening a couple of metres in length away from each other. So as it happens SD got to keep his precious burrow anyway.

But I am so angry that he did that. We have had him and spoiled him rotten for a year and it isnt as if he is short on space. I know he wants a burrow, that isnt the point, its just that attacking us so viciously when we approach it to see what is what just made me furious. He has never been mistreated or mishandled or anything.

Alex spends a lot of time in the enclosure, with and without us. He is perfectly gentle with the rabbits and just likes to sit in there with them and poke around in the earth for worms while they hop around. I know as long as we stay away from the burrow he should be fine but I cant help but feel nervous about this now. SD has only ever thumped at us before when we have annoyed him. This was flying up in the air to meet my hand, trying to block Alex, growling. I just dont get it.

Matthew will NOT be pleased. I have been on a long campaign to convince him of SD's virtues. Attacking his wife and 2 year old will not be counted amongst them.

Any advice?

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Stardust has attacked me and Alex Empty Re: Stardust has attacked me and Alex

Post by senatorvass Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:46 pm

anyone??? (is there a pitiful emoticon?)

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:40 pm

oh dear - not sure what to say. i think rabbits occasionally can have funny turns and prob as there was lots of activity and invasion of burrow space by lots of humans in a decisive manner maybe it pushed stardust over the edge? i have been bitten really hard by a rabbit that never did it again so it could just be a momentary freaky 2 minutes?
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:28 pm

I think they sound like they really like their new space and it being Spring, are being very territorial. You are going to have to approach their space with a little more caution. Perhaps the fact that you have been filling in their burrows (completely understandably) has frustrated them. I've been bitten a couple of times this month, probably because of Felix. But it might be the time of year - you know, sap rising etc.

You mustn't take it personally, as they are just behaving instinctively and without any malice. I'm sorry that Alex and you had such a fright and hope that they settle down soon.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:33 pm

As Nickie said, it was nothing personal but the saying 'mad as a march hare' is well founded, even neutered rabbits still experience hormonal episodes a this time of year, as they respond to the change in temperature and lenghtening daylight hours.

This causes them to become more terriorial and even long bonded pairs will often squabble between themselves as this time. Stardust would have quite simply (and rightly) been defending his territory and his partner, after all he dosn't want you mating with her does he. Laughing
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Aw, sorry to hear you and Alex have had a bad experience with Stardust, it must have been quite scary for you.

I agree with Nickie and Sooz, please try not to be angry with him - it sounds like he loves his new space and is determined to defend the burrow! They can go a bit crazy at this time of year.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:42 am

Thanks for the perspective everyone Smile I shall have Matthew read this too!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:55 am

Having been on the receiving end of bunny teeth I sympathise with you. I was intimidated by a mini lop Shocked

I am sure Stardust is not a genuinely aggressive bun tho, just has spring fever.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkatmoo Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:22 am

It always shakes me up a bit when my bun has an agressive mental 5 minutes when I haven't seen him do it before.
He was probably thinking, "how many times are we going to play this game - STOP FILLING IN MY BURROWS!!"
Hope you feel a bit better about it now and I'm sorry you had such a shock. How has Alex been since, does he seem any less comfortable around them?
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 am

Alex was fine around them today when we went in to do their breakfast. SD came up to me and nudged me in the "hey I accept your servitude" way he normally does.

Mad as a March Hare is about right!!! There was a huge clump of Moonlight's hair on the ground of the enclosure, and she bloomin went and thumped at me and went in their play tunnel!! What have I done to her? Flippin nora.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 am

You're going into THEIR space, that is all! Once the Spring has established, they will settle down.

Last edited by NickieM on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:29 am

horrible little blighters arent they Laughing remember the ungrateful bun thread, who was it who said, is there such a thing as a GRATEFUL bun??

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkatmoo Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:05 pm

This explains why I've been hearing a lot more thumping lately!! How long will this last for?

Pleased to hear Alex isn't still traumatised by it, children can be so resilient!
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:26 pm

I was very relieved. Alex has the memory of an elephant so its always a bit nerve racking when something new happens, you dont know how long its going to remain an issue.

I dont know either how long this is going to last - I have had rabbits a year now but this is my first proper whole spring with them so watch this space!!!! The danger continues!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkatmoo Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:36 pm

You could always get some of those gloves handlers of birds of prey have!

Laughing
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 pm

I usually wear gardening gloves when I bond but yesterday I tried out he OHs thinsulate gloves and they worked pretty well. I know some people use oven mits Laughing
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Wolfie has started digging again. Today all you could see was his very busy bum and showers of dirt! And he is now filthy. The burrow is only about 7 ft deep, it obviously needs to be bigger. I keep waiting for the corner of the house to disappear!

They have been having mad sessions of running around doing binkies and generally chasing round each other.

Definitely Springtime.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:11 pm

I'm sorry you had this episode, and as everyone said, you can't be personal about it, he's a rabbit, and is prone to behaving in an animal way from time to time. I've only been bitten once by Bertie, and it took a few days to get over the shock and come to realise that it was indeed my own doing, for invading his space at a time when he was convalescing.
We live and learn and you will learn from this too Smile
You have a wonderful set-up there, it's a real bunny haven, but buns will be buns. Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down