Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to be sick...

+9
Rosie Rabbit
Catsknickers
racheld69
Sixer
Josephine
Tracyuk
NickieM
*Spider*
coco
13 posters

Go down

I want to be sick... Empty I want to be sick...

Post by coco Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:26 pm

George escaped from his run, and him and Oscar had a massive scrap. George has torn his ear, and has fur missing from his head, and Oscar has lost a nail. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad. I was told there was quite alot of blood Sad
My brother found them, after I went to school and split them up. this is all my fault, i shouldn't have left George out in the run. My brothers cleaned up their wounds and he split them up.

This is all my fault, and I can't believe whats happened.Crying or Very sad They are all eating and drinking fine, but the two boys are exhausted from their scrap, and are really dosile. George is in the garage now, away from Hermione and Oscar.
I'm utterly gutted, and I don't think I even want them to be near each other again. I just feel like bawling my eyes out.
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

I want to be sick... Empty Re: I want to be sick...

Post by *Spider* Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:28 pm

J Crying or Very sad
It's not your fault! George will recover!
Are you home yet?
*Spider*
*Spider*
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1004
Registration date : 2008-07-04

http://www.myspace.com/hettyrulesuk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:29 pm

Aww Janek, the same thing happened to me with Wolfie and Gloria. They weren't hurt thankfully, but it did lead to them settling their differences. YOu might find it helps in the long run. Don't beat yourself up. YOu are a really good bun person and they have a lovely life with you.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracyuk Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 pm

These things happen, two of mine had a scrap and it makes you feel awful I know but dont feel bad!
Tracyuk
Tracyuk
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1335

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Tracyuk wrote:These things happen, two of mine had a scrap and it makes you feel awful I know but dont feel bad!

Its made me feel really awful... George's tear is about 2cm long at the bottom of the ear. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad It makes it worse by my dad saying that they're never going to bond. Sad I don't want to believe him, but every single time the boys are together, even in the kitchen, they won't stop scrapping. Crying or Very sad. I haven't left them together overnight (in neutral territory) for the fear that they will maul each other.
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Don't blame yourself too much Janak. This has happened with my bunnies before and not just once. They are little blighters and manage to get out of their runs in ways you just don't think about. My little Scamp has had both his ears ripped due to him and Dexy managing to get to each other. He has also had his nose half bitten off because he found a little space he could stick it through, unfortunately Dexy was at the other side with teeth bared. He is a lot more careful now and so am I.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:01 pm

Don't blame yourself Janak - it has happened to me too when Herb escaped from his run and had a set-to with BJ - bitten noses all round.

I would maybe wait until your Easter hols, at least, before trying to bond again. That way you will be around more.

Sending healing vibes for your two boys xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:03 pm

jomart wrote:Don't blame yourself too much Janak. This has happened with my bunnies before and not just once. They are little blighters and manage to get out of their runs in ways you just don't think about. My little Scamp has had both his ears ripped due to him and Dexy managing to get to each other. He has also had his nose half bitten off because he found a little space he could stick it through, unfortunately Dexy was at the other side with teeth bared. He is a lot more careful now and so am I.

Its awful when you see the wounds... I think i would have been in hysterics if i saw them with blood all over themselves. Its because it's my own boys, im worrying like a lunatic.

I'll be cleaning George's ear with saline water, and put a little bit of Germolene on it 2x a day... does that sound ok?
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:42 pm

is germolene ok for bunnies? i don't know about that. i know sudocrem is if that helps. and aloe vera gel. try not to be too upset janek - i know it is a big shock but it was an accident and they are all ok now. if it helps pirate and jigsaw accidentally met on neutral territory and locked and rolled (not good sign re: future bonding) and luckily i was there to split them immediately or i think they would have eaten each other but now they are really bonded and love each other and are never mean to each other - i tried to bond them as a 3 with foxy and ironically they loved each other and bullied foxy so i had to just have them as a 2 - and they are both boys and foxy is a girl! so don't feel disheartened. you just need to do lots of distraction techniques when the bonding time comes. or get another bunny and have 2 pairs??!!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Oh my darling I am so sorry to hear this. But please don't blame yourself. These things happen. I shut Bri and Charlie's hutch up the other day thinking they were both in there. They weren't. I let Sandy and Lily out and Bri appeared and there was a scrap/ These things happen.
Vibes for George's ear. And a big hug for you xxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 pm

racheld69 wrote:is germolene ok for bunnies? i don't know about that. i know sudocrem is if that helps. and aloe vera gel. try not to be too upset janek - i know it is a big shock but it was an accident and they are all ok now. if it helps pirate and jigsaw accidentally met on neutral territory and locked and rolled (not good sign re: future bonding) and luckily i was there to split them immediately or i think they would have eaten each other but now they are really bonded and love each other and are never mean to each other - i tried to bond them as a 3 with foxy and ironically they loved each other and bullied foxy so i had to just have them as a 2 - and they are both boys and foxy is a girl! so don't feel disheartened. you just need to do lots of distraction techniques when the bonding time comes. or get another bunny and have 2 pairs??!!

I've been searching on the net, and I don't really know! Its a clean cut though. I haven't used anything on it, except saline. I can't find anything in the house except flamazine and germolene. I'll try taking him to vets in the next couple of days, and see what they say. Thankfully he's not as stressed out, and is snuggled on his snugglesafe, and munching on his pellets.
Unfortunatley, i would love a fourth bun, but the rents would never agree to it! I'm far too nervous to bond now, and I'm really not up for it Sad

and thanks guys for all the help and stories!
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Aw, sorry this has happened - it will have really knocked your confidence, that's totally understandable. Sad

Most people seem to have had similar problems at some stage though, and it doesn't mean your bunnies are incompatable, so don't give up hope.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:17 pm

JANAK, JANAK, HELLO, Hello............have I got your attention?, rightio then......... stand in front of the mirror and repeat after me the following sentance for at least 10 minutes

"It was not my fault, it was an accident"

Ok, now we have got that straight please understand that rabbits have a mind of their own and can be unpredictable at times and unfortunate things happen as it did with you, the bunnies are safe and the injuries are not life threatening, so please don't beat yourself up about it, you did not let this happen on purpose, it was an accident, instead of thinking about the negative try and focus on the positive....... I bet you will check that they are secure in future and that's a good thing Thumbs Up

Just let them get used to each other again but NOT together, it could take time Laughing
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Hey J, you're so right for those buns, so please don't think this is your fault. We all have to learn along the way, and we have all had accidents and not thought as a bun would sometimes. I left Bertie eat a poisonous plant, it's taken weeks to sort it, but it could have been prevented. We're not perfect, we're human. They'll be fine, and they'll recover Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:45 pm

thank you Theo and Jay Embarassed.
I'm just a little hysterical becuase I am so attached to them, and I wouldn't want anything to be inflicted upon them. I know for sure that I won't leave them outside, when I'm not about, and this is a good excuse to buy a stronger run for George to live in temporarily! I never want this to happen again, its so scary.

George is booked in at Animal House vets tomorrow, to get a proper check over. Where the fur is missing on his head, its swelled a bit, and its worrying me alot. last thing I want to hear is abcess! Sad. I'm continuing with the saline clean on this ear and the swelling on his head to keep them clean, and make sure they don't get infected. poor boy Sad.
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Saline is the best thing you can use on the cut for the time being but the vets may recommend something else when you see them. Sometimes I use alco-tip wipes but they do tend to sting a bit.

Most injuries to the ears are superficial and wil heal quite easily if kept clean and aired, it's deeper lacerations to the muscle and tissue which need to be monitored, they vets will probably recommend a cours eof antibiotics just to be safe.

As far as how it happened, please don't beat yourself up over this...it happens. I have had a bunny get injured in bondings before and had to explain to the owners what had happened and I felt absolutely awful about it, but they were very understanding, after all we can't control other beings completely, just learn from our experiences to try and prevent things as best we can.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Sooz wrote:Saline is the best thing you can use on the cut for the time being but the vets may recommend something else when you see them. Sometimes I use alco-tip wipes but they do tend to sting a bit.

Most injuries to the ears are superficial and wil heal quite easily if kept clean and aired, it's deeper lacerations to the muscle and tissue which need to be monitored, they vets will probably recommend a cours eof antibiotics just to be safe.

As far as how it happened, please don't beat yourself up over this...it happens. I have had a bunny get injured in bondings before and had to explain to the owners what had happened and I felt absolutely awful about it, but they were very understanding, after all we can't control other beings completely, just learn from our experiences to try and prevent things as best we can.

thanks Sooz, I've tried to keep it as clean as possible, and theres no more dried blood coming from anywhere, it seems to have clotted properly. I've just checked his head wound, and I've compared it to the otherside, which is normal and fine, and the swelling isn't swelling Embarassed. Its just where the muscle tenses when i lift the ears up Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed. I mistook it for swelling becuase it bulged when his ear was lifted up! Now looking at it, it's only a little nip, where fur has been pulled off!
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:33 pm

coco wrote:thank you Theo and Jay Embarassed.

George is booked in at Animal House vets tomorrow, to get a proper check over. Where the fur is missing on his head, its swelled a bit, and its worrying me alot. last thing I want to hear is abcess! Sad. I'm continuing with the saline clean on this ear and the swelling on his head to keep them clean, and make sure they don't get infected. poor boy Sad.

Which vet do you see at The Animal House?
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:50 am

Snowy wrote:

We've just joined there, and we usually see Samantha, at the Rugby branch. Do you use them as well Theo?

and George is fine, I have been over reacting Embarassed
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by *Spider* Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:51 am

coco wrote:
Snowy wrote:

We've just joined there, and we usually see Samantha, at the Rugby branch. Do you use them as well Theo?

And how did i guesss that?
Laughing
*Spider*
*Spider*
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1004
Registration date : 2008-07-04

http://www.myspace.com/hettyrulesuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:22 pm

coco wrote:
Snowy wrote:

I use The Animal House in Warwick, my vet is Paula and she is utterly amazing, she is so rabbit savvy and she is teaching Sam a lot, if Paula is not avalable then I see Sam, she is lovely and actually Hugh is very good too, they are very good because they are open on Saturdays and Sunday as standard which is brilliant.

Please to hear that George is OK, I knew he would be Laughing , he's a gorgeous bunny and we need more photos
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber & Noel Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Awww bless you J, I hope they are both better soon.

I would see Paula if I was you, Sam is pants in my opinion. Sorry.

Sending you massive hugs and vibes xx
Amber & Noel
Amber & Noel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Amber & Noel wrote:Awww bless you J, I hope they are both better soon.

I would see Paula if I was you, Sam is pants in my opinion. Sorry.

Sending you massive hugs and vibes xx

haha! She didn't seem too bad, but George was having a health check up with her, and I had to promt her and tell her to check his ears because I thought they were waxy and red. I mean, how can you forget his ears in a full health check up?! and, is it VHD or myxo that is 'shot in scruff, and shot directly in the skin'?
Is Paula at the Rugby branch too?

more pictures to come Theo! Wave
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down