Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick wildie on hubby's delivery

+3
woodwench
iiisecondcreep
Vince the bunny
7 posters

Go down

Sick wildie on hubby's delivery Empty Sick wildie on hubby's delivery

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:18 pm

DH came from work today telling me about a young wild bun that was sat on someones doorstep. Dh delivers in the rurals in a van (a right regular postman Pat!!). He said it looked to have a swollen eye and it looked up at him and hopped away clumsily, bumping into things Crying or Very sad
Dh said if' he'd been quick enough, he could have picked it upbt had his hands full with post. Poor little thing.
What would be the correct thing to do in a situation like this? I told DH not to bring sick bunnies to the house incase they made my buns ill. But would a vet sort it or is it best to let nature take it's course? I think if it had been hit by a car or attacked by a fox beyond repair, my DH would have taken care of it (assisted it to rest in peace).
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Sick wildie on hubby's delivery Empty Re: Sick wildie on hubby's delivery

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Sounds like Myxi. There are many people that would say there is only one kind thing to do for a wildie in this situation. I don't think I could though. You were certainly right to warn him not to touch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm very glad he didn't bring it home now pale Poor little thing.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Swollen eye, dozy and disorientated - it's classic myxi signs. I remember reading a while ago that most buns that get hit on the road have myxi as they potter into the road and then don't have the mental capability to move away from the danger.

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Up to the individual really, personally if I found an animal that wouldn't get better in the wild I would always try and get it to a vet or rescue. Not always possible, especially if the animal is still mobile and able to run away!

I took a little myxi wildie to my local vet and they put it to sleep. It had been sitting in the middle of the road and never even tried to get away when I picked it up in a blanket and its little eyes were sealed shut Sad

iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 pm

Yes, Myxi.

And having lived alongside myxi all my life believe me the "solution" you mention is infinitely preferable to the hours of thinking of the suffering and fear the bun is going through.

But the sick bun will no doubt have fleas (the myxi vector) and you don't want to bring them to your buns.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:08 am

I count it a major blessing that we do not have myxi here in the USA. How horrible it must be for the poor little wildies.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:44 am

Wow what a dilemma - when mentioning the vet my first reaction is to worry about the other rabbits at the vets, Rory was in for a day before having his vaccine as he wasn't well enough to have it
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 am

aww poor little munchkin mankind has a lot to answer for.

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am

Sad poor mite, and you were right, you shoudln't touch them, esp if they look ill.

I have this dilema now, and it really pains me. Being raised on a farm, I'm very adapt at necking rabbits (sorry...) and as a youngster, me and the old man would routinely neck Myxi Rabbits (there was a massive outbreak in the mid 70's that nearly decimated the population again).

Over the years, thius has come in very handy, and Ive been able to put a lot of buns out of their misery, whether it be Myxi, or they've been hit by a car etc.

Now, I have to leave them untouched, and it breaks my heart. But I can't risk bringing anything home to Stewie, and it's just not fair to do that, so I just have to pray that they get nabbed by a fox or similar asap Sad

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 am

gentl wrote:I count it a major blessing that we do not have myxi here in the USA. How horrible it must be for the poor little wildies.
Actually the USA does, but it's mainly in CA, and the Cotton Tail and Jack Rabbits have a higher level of immunity, meaning that the full blown sypmtoms don't come to fruition. These buns can get 'Nodular' Myxi - which is the much lesser form that some UK vaccionated buns get. It's largely survivable, and produced lumps (nodules) on the skin, crsusts around the eyes etc. But these normally disappear over time, and the rabbits make a full recovery, and are then completely immunised against any form of Myxi Smile

They do carry the Myxo virus and can infect pet rabbits - see http://chris-mclaughlin.suite101.com/myxomatosis-the-rabbit-disease-a83485 Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down