Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spay day; next week! U/D not eating :(

+10
Catsknickers
Jay
Rosie Rabbit
Josephine
Kirsty&Lola
NickieM
senatorvass
racheld69
Snowy
coco
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spay day; next week! U/D not eating :( Empty Spay day; next week! U/D not eating :(

Post by coco Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:51 pm

Hermiones spay day is next week! Its looming and i'm worrying already.

Hermy just had her 1st birfday last month, and I know i should have got her neutered before, but I really wanted to wait until spring for her to have her op, becuase she can't come and live inside to recover. How long does she have to be locked up for to recover? Her enclosure is 15ft X 4ft.. is that too big?

She is the most affectionate, needy rabbit I have :luv: she loves her backrubs and her noserubs... I just cannot describe how much I love her, and her personality without sounding pussy Laughing. Will her personality change when she is spayed? Apparently, she is rather aggressive towards everyone, except me. I feel special ( Laughing ) but will this slight aggression reduce, along with food aggression?

fanks guys! Wave

Last edited by coco on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Spay day; next week! U/D not eating :( Empty Re: Spay day; next week! U/D not eating :(

Post by Snowy Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Well done for getting her booked in, who is doing it?, hope everything goes OK and I will be sending her massive vibes

She will need 'bed rest' after her spay and it should be indoors or somewhere warm, when I have a bunny speyed I keep them in a tris for 7 days only etting them out for a hop about whilst I clean them out every day and then put them back, the reason they need to rest is because if a bunny is too active she could herniate and that is extemely painful and expensive, make sure she doesn't have anything that she can jump on and just make sure she gets as much rest as possible.

Yes, her pesonality will change and she sould lose some of her aggression, she will be much happier without all those horrible hormones kicking in all the time and it will reduce the risk of cancer too.

Good luck
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Spay day; next week! U/D not eating :( Empty Re: Spay day; next week! U/D not eating :(

Post by racheld69 Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Foxglove calmed down loads - she still boxes and grunts a lot but is defo lots calmer than she would have been left un-neutered. She seemed to recover in about 10 seconds and was being very naughty again very fast!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:31 am

Angel was a nightmare, really aggressive and not happy seeming at all, within a couple of days of being spayed she was so gentle and docile and happy and now loves a cuddle and groom! I have always kept mine inside for a week after they have been operated on, in large indoor cage I have & get them out for cuddles etc. If you needed an indoor cage to borrow you could borrow mine? Its in the shed at the moment waiting for the next bunny illness to require it.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:49 pm

thank you guys! and thank you so much for the offer Erin, but she can't come indoors Sad.
I have a 4.5ft x 2ft hutch she can bed rest in while she recovers, does this seem adequate, considering she's a giant?

and, Oscar is going off with her to the vets, so he can give her moral support when she's post op Smile. also, has anyone else's spayed girls come out with those head collars to stop them chewing at the sutures?

oooh, Theo, I will find out tomorrow, I need to ring the vets tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask them if they know who's carrying out the op! Wave
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:16 pm

When I had Holly and Gloria speyed, I kept them in a hutch inside the back porch for a week, just to make sure they recovered well. Both were absolutely fine and Holly was nearly 4 when she was speyed.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:05 pm

thanks Nickie... sorry i completley forgot about this thread Embarassed. Hermy will be kept in the garage with both her snugglesafes just incase Wink.

spay day tomorrow! eeeeeeeeeek!
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:54 pm

sending loads of vibes for your special girlie tomorrow :luv:
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Sending lots of vibes for Hermy for tomorrow.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:42 pm

Good luck Hermy; she'll be fine Smile
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:00 am

thank you guys! im worried even though i know i don't need to be Laughing. She will be in great care. I've made them a lunch box so they can eat lots of munchies when Hermione comes out of theatre.

I'm sure she knows something is happening this morning, she's got that 'look' in her eyes Laughing
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:34 pm

is it today? I guess so! best of luck! She will be fine!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:24 pm

coco wrote: I've made them a lunch box so they can eat lots of munchies when Hermione comes out of theatre.

We did that for Bertie when he had the snip Laughing

I hope Hermy has done great and I bet she can't wait to come home Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:11 pm

The vet nurse was well impressed when she saw what she would be eating and looked at me and said, 'spoilt rabbit!' Laughing

well, took Hermione and Oscar to the vets, and they said Oscar couldn't come Sad. they didn't have enough room for him to stay in with her! Hermione had to rest in one of the isolation dog crates becuase she was too large to fit into a small animal cage Laughing
She came out of the GA really quickly, and was eating soon after! She's back home now, but she hasn't touched any more veg. no poos and wees, but I am keeping a look out for them! she's resting in the garage with a snugglesafe, and i think recovering well. the incision made on her abdomen is huge! I'll try to get a picture of it for you Jay, to use in the project! I've had to split Hermy and Oscie up though, only so she can recover in the garage. I'm hoping they don't lose their bond, im so worried about that!

ETA - I walked into the vets, forgetting the carrier No. the nurse fetched Hermione in a ferplast one, and she said I could keep it! Bonus Thumbs Up
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:19 pm

How is she today Janak? You are a great bunny daddy x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:21 pm

thank you Char.. she hasn't eaten since after her spay Sad. I was getting worried so i've just been to the vets (i saw Paula, Theo, such a good bunny vet!) and she said she was not impressed with the practice for splitting up Hermy and Oscie.

Well, Paula said she is well in herself, very bright and cheeky, but her stomach is completley empty! She syringed her some water, gave her a shot of baytril and said i need to start feeding her dandelions to get her gut going!
She's given me some Science Recovery (how often do i give it to her, no instructions!) Fibreplex, and metacam oral, just in case she is any pain.
She said if she's not eating by tomorrow, I have to pop into the vets and pick up some Zantac to get her gut going with the drugs, instead of naturally. I've put her and Oscar back in together, just to see if she's stopped eating becuase she misses him. He completley ignored her, and went straight for her apple No

Lets hope my girl starts eating soon!
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Sending lots of vibes for Hermy. She will probably start eating again soon, now that she has had all that treatment. My Bonnie was a bit like that after her spay, but she started picking up after some meds from the vet.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:07 pm

I am sure Hermy will start to eat soon. It was 24 hours before our girlies really started to eat properly again after their spays.

The very few times I have used Fibreplex (or similar) it seemed to kick start the buns into eating on their own.

Loads of vibes xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:21 pm

thanks for the vibes guys, it seems to be working!
I syringed her some Recovery, and gave her a handful of dandelions, and she scoffed them all Very Happy. still not eaten anything else, but its a start I guess. I'm just waiting for the poos to arrive, i'm on poo alert with her Laughing
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Just caught up with this Janak, so pleased you saw Paula, she is brilliant isn't she!!, I really hope that Hery will be OK, sending her lots of vibes and sending you a calming hug too,if you need any help with Hermy you know where I am, just give me a shout
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:02 pm

oh good luck Janak, glad you've got her eating. When Bertie was on Recovery, we gave him a 2ml syringe full every 3 hours or so during the day.
Play with hay in her face, run it across her nose and see if she goes for it.
I'm sure she'll pull through soon Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Thank you Theo and Jay. I've been at work all day, and I've been getting updates from my sister about her progress.
This morning at about 6.45, I syringed her some recovery, probably about 10mls. I watched her, and she didnt eat a thing after that. At about 10am, I called my sister and told her to give her, her dose of oral pain killer to see if it was the pain. She still didnt touch a thing. I'm just about to go out again, and see if she will eat some of this Coneflower hay Ive just bought... it says on the packet it improves digestion. Jay, i will use your technique and see if it entices her. If not, i'm going to syringe her Recovery again. I may have to resort to the fibreplex soon.

This is day 4, of post op and still she is not eating properly Crying or Very sad
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:50 pm

i think its starting to sound like statis imo Sad... I've given her some tummy rubs, her stomach is harder compared to Oscars. She's been syringed the Recovery now. She's not like herself at all... all spread out, and sleeping. I'll try and get her motivated a little, but not too much, to try and get her gut moving.
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by *Spider* Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Hope she is okay.
*Spider*
*Spider*
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1004
Registration date : 2008-07-04

http://www.myspace.com/hettyrulesuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:35 pm

sending loads of vibes for your special big girl
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next