Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harsh decision time. UD: Back from vets

+13
lopz
Josephine
SarahP
senatorvass
NickieM
Rice
Catsknickers
buddabun
Sixer
thumpersmum
Becki
Jay
Happy Hoppers
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Harsh decision time. UD: Back from vets Empty Harsh decision time. UD: Back from vets

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:36 am

I found another abcess on Mack's jaw last night during his dailiy flush. It is in a new position entirely to the previous ones and my only explanation is that the infection is travelling through his mandible.

I've got a really tough decision to make and I am very much torn between my head and my heart at the moment....I promised myself after the last one that I would not have him operated on again, he has had 3 ops and 4 abcesses in six months, been to the vets on at least a weekly basis, developed mites from stress, his weight yo-yo's constantly and every day I have to pry him our from under his shelter to burrito him and clean his wound which stresses us both out beyond belief. Sometimes he even squeaks. Crying or Very sad

My head says we still have options and my heart says he has no quality of life if we continue treatment.

I'm so torn, I don't want to give up on him after all he's been through but I equally want whatever I do to be in his best interests and not mine. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Sooz on Fri May 01, 2009 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Harsh decision time. UD: Back from vets Empty Re: Harsh decision time. UD: Back from vets

Post by Jay Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:33 am

I can't imagine how difficult this is Sooz, he's been through so much to get this far, I'm sure you'll know what's best for him soon, he's a fighter thats for sure.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Harsh decision time. UD: Back from vets Empty Re: Harsh decision time. UD: Back from vets

Post by Becki Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:38 am

This is the most horriffic decision ever. Personally, I think its balls when people say 'You'll know' when its the right time. I have only ever felt like Ive absolutely known once, the others Ive just gone with my gut feeling. I dont know what to say Sooz, Just sending a million hugs xx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:56 am

I'm sorry Sooz, what a nightmare. I'm afraid I don't know what I'd do if I were in your shoes either, but you know Mack best, and I'm sure you will make the right decisions.

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am

Oh Sooz, what a horrid day this is turning into. So cruel for Mack, when he has fought so hard.

I don't know what to say, like Becki I am sending millions of hugs xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:07 pm

It is such a hard decision. It was the same with Jack - she was ok in herself but was never going to get better so we had to make the decision. Bloody hard though and I still wonder if we did the right thing.

Can you discuss it with your vet? Is he ever going to 'recover' or will it just be treatments and illnesses for the rest of his life? I really don't know what to say Sooz. Mack is such a hero Sad
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:20 pm

I know how awful this decision is for you, and I know you of all people will make whatever decision you feel is best for your beautiful boy. Thinking of you sweetheart Sad You might not want one, but you are gonna get a hug when I see you x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:24 pm

He's never going to recover....there is no miracle cure out there for Mack, I'm not under any illusion about that at all.

I havn't spoken to Anita because I need to be clear in my head what I think is right for him when I do, Anita never sees the side of him I do at home, it sounds unbelieveable but he is far perkier at the vets because he is so blinking nosey.

We knew it would be a case of control rather than cure but I cannot fathom what is going on under his skin, there seems to be lots of internal openings and passages and pockets which are running through his jaw. I can inflate various areas with fluid depending on where I angle the syringe. I sometimes wonder if the tissue is breaking down but I'm just guessing.

I've just spent some time with him and he won't even tolerate me trying to give him nose rubs at the moment. He's petrified of me touching his head.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Aww Sooz I'm sorry, what a horrible decision to have to make Sad

I certainly wouldn't want to tell you what to do about Mack, but I would think he would like his last weeks, months (or however long) to be comfortable and as stress-less as possible. Maybe let him be and see how he does without treatment? If he's happy at least for a while then that's what counts, right?

Of course only you know Mack and I'm sure you'll make the best decision for him, big hugs xx
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:38 pm

What an awful decision for you to have to make. I can fully understand that you don't want to give up on him, but also, it must hurt you to the core that you are causing him so much stress so that he has a few more weeks of life.

May quality is better than quantity and if your vet doesn't have a better option, then you maybe know yourself how you think you should proceed. Whatever course you take, you should take it in the knowledge that you have done everything to help Mack recover.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:51 pm

I have been thinking about you and Mack, Sooz and I think I feel the same as NickieM and Rice. Mabe quality of life is better than quantity.

It must be heartbreaking to know that he is so wary of you touching his face Sad

Try and take some comfort from the fact you have tried your hardest to treat Mack, and you will have never let him down, whatever decision you make.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:07 am

Mack sprained his forepaw last night getting away from me as I syringed out his abcesses. I think that in itself speaks volumes for what he is going through. Crying or Very sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:36 am

Oh Sooz, That is awful to hear what he is going through Crying or Very sad Poor little boy, and poor you xx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Oh it's so heartbreaking. It's so awful that you're trying to help him but he's frightened... When you're only trying to do what's best.

I'm amazed that he's perkier at the vets - what a character he is.

Poor Mack. It's such a horrid position to be in Sooz and I really feel for you.
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Oh how sad. Sad There is so much difficulty here at the moment. I hope you are ok.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:41 am

Becki wrote:This is the most horriffic decision ever. Personally, I think its balls when people say 'You'll know' when its the right time.

I totally agree, as that hasn't been my experience either. Sad It's a decision that is difficult to make, but I'm quite sure that you'll make the right one for Mack, however horrible it is.

Thinking of you, Sooz. x
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 344

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:42 am

Another little update, he is using his paw almost normally again tonight but when I went to syringe his abcess cavity I can no longer get the catheter tip in....which means I now have to let it close up.

The new abcess is already larger and is protruding slightly to one side of his jaw, there is definate boney involvement there.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and input. :luv:
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:02 am

Poor Mack.

And I agree with Becki's comment. Charlotte and I agonised over Jack. I still don't 'know' if it was the right time.

Thinking of you and Mack Sooz...x
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Poor Mack and poor you, what an awful time for you. It is always an agonising decision to make. Thinking of you.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Mack is booked in for an assesment with Anita on Friday just to see the extent of his condition and how long we can reasonably expect him to last (which sounds awful I know). Was 2:40pm but they just called me to say they had double booked and then tried to put me in with either the new vet or the locum Rolling Eyes which would have been totally pointless, so we are now in at 3:10pm instead.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:52 am

Vibes for Mack x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:03 am

Good luck for Friday... Vibes for Mack
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:09 am

Thinking of you and Mack xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:19 am

I feel for you.
Even the "little" problem Matisse has now, breaks my heart, so I know how you feel about your bun.
Good luck at the vet's
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 am

Interestingly enough he started to come up to me for nose rubs again last night and when I vaccumed their crate he was sat on my shoulder watching, he just seems so much more relaxed these last couple of days...lots of stretching, yawning and flopping.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next