Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rabbit head tilt

+7
Josephine
LilleJente
Jay
jan
Catsknickers
Sixer
nibbles
11 posters

Go down

rabbit head tilt Empty rabbit head tilt

Post by nibbles Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi.

One of our rabbits has developed a head tilt recently.
We rushed him down to the vet who prescribed some antibiotics in case of an infection, and some panacur in case of e cunciculi. The good news is that he is still eating. We also asked another vet for a 2nd opinion who said that they would have prescribed the same thing.

Its now been a week, and our rabbit still seems to have the head tilt and is still quite unstable on his feet, although he does seem to be able to move in straighter lines than before.

Does anyone have any experience with rabbit head tilts? Is the recovery quite gradual?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Its very worrying seeing our beloved rabbit like this.

nibbles
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

rabbit head tilt Empty Re: rabbit head tilt

Post by Sixer Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 am

Welcome to HH but I am sorry to hear one of your rabbits has developed head tilt. Sooz who set up HH and is incredibly knowlegeable on bunny care has produced a section on health problems - look under 'rabbit care articles and useful links'. Here is the link to head tilt.

https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/rabbit-care-articles-useful-links-f1/the-causes-and-treatment-of-torticollis-head-tilt-t44.htm

How long has your vet suggested that you use the Panacur for?

Am sending loads of vibes that your bun recovers quickly, it must be so upsetting for you Hugs
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:08 am

Hello, sorry to hear about your bunnies head tilt. Sixer has given you the best advice. It can be slow process.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:44 pm

i hope your bun recovers quickly ((vibes))
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:42 pm

I hope your bun recovers, vibes.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi Wave I transported a bunny once who developed a head tilt due to the stress of traveling - could anything have scared your bunny? or has anything changed? Honeybun recovered within a week after a 7 day treatment of panacur

I really hope your bunny recovers!! Sorry I can't help more, but I'm afarid that is all my experience with head tilts
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by nibbles Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Sixer wrote:Welcome to HH but I am sorry to hear one of your rabbits has developed head tilt. Sooz who set up HH and is incredibly knowlegeable on bunny care has produced a section on health problems - look under 'rabbit care articles and useful links'. Here is the link to head tilt.

https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/rabbit-care-articles-useful-links-f1/the-causes-and-treatment-of-torticollis-head-tilt-t44.htm

How long has your vet suggested that you use the Panacur for?

Am sending loads of vibes that your bun recovers quickly, it must be so upsetting for you Hugs

Thanks for the info. The vet has suggested using Panacur for 28 days.

Having read this link, I am a bit worried about his eyes now. The vet said that the one facing downwards was a bit dialated but was ok. Is it still a good idea to ask for eye drops/cream? Also, some links like this one seem to suggest that long term antibiotics (of different types) seem to be the best way of fighting this, but some places on the web indicate that E Cuniculi is the probable cause and that the panacur is the best cure.

Another reason we are worried is that he has dropped a bit of weight due to this (and he was never a big eater in the first place). He is eating although has some difficulty which is good, but does anyone know of any good rabbit foods to help him put on a bit of weight? He is very skinny at the moment poor lad.

Thnaks again.

nibbles
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by nibbles Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:29 pm

LilleJente wrote:Hi Wave I transported a bunny once who developed a head tilt due to the stress of traveling - could anything have scared your bunny? or has anything changed? Honeybun recovered within a week after a 7 day treatment of panacur

I really hope your bunny recovers!! Sorry I can't help more, but I'm afarid that is all my experience with head tilts

Hi. Was it a gradual recovery, or was it an overnight change? Our rabbit has now been on the panacur for a week, and the head tilt looks virtually the same unfortunately.

Thanks again

nibbles
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your poorly bunny. Recovery vibes on their way.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:11 am

It's al;so thought that the use of Metacam should be prescribed during treatment for Torticollis as not only would it be painful if it was an ear infection but that if it's EC related it is caused by inflammation which Metacam (as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkiller) will help to reduce.

If your rabbit is showing signs of unsteadyness on his feet or if he looks like he may start to 'roll' you could ask your vet about the use of Stemetil or a similar anti-vertigo drug to help with his balance.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Get well vibes for your baby.

Katie x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

rabbit head tilt Empty Head Tilt

Post by nibbles Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi.

Several weeks later, and it looks like our rabbit may be finally on the mend. His head tilt sems to be quite a bit better, but not fully straight yet.

He still isnt putting on much weight though despite eating lots, and our best efforts. Does anyone know if this is a side effect of taking Panacur? I would assume that if it gets rid of parasites, that it might make food pass through him too quickly?

Thanks everyone for the good vibes. Hopefully just need a few more to get him fully better

nibbles
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Glad to hear that he is a lot better. I hope it continues for him.

I'm not knowledgeable on EC so can't advise about the Panacur. Hopefully Sooz will be able to help you more.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Oh, I need advise about this too!
Kenzo always tilts his head to the left slightly (like cute puppies do and it makes you go "AAWW"), and his feet go weird ways sometimes. He lays down in strange ways too. He has done this ever since I got him, and I have already taken him to the vet for this twice. Vet says Kenzo doesn't have head tilt (I thought it could have been the beginning of it) and didn't find anything wrong with him.
Its definitly not normal though, but I don't realy worry about it because it doesn't seem to bother him at all. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

To nibbles: Sending love and good vibes your way for your bunny! Hope things will get better very quickly! xx albino xx
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down