Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the best type of pellet food?

2 posters

Go down

What is the best type of pellet food? Empty What is the best type of pellet food?

Post by rosesandarrows Sun May 02, 2010 9:50 am

What is the best type of pellet food?I really wan't to know! Very Happy Is it Excel,Selective I have no idea Very Happy

rosesandarrows
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

What is the best type of pellet food? Empty Re: What is the best type of pellet food?

Post by Jay Sun May 02, 2010 11:05 am

It's difficult to say really. Firstly, a 'complete' food is best. This covers Supreme SS, Burgess Excel, Allen & Page, Oxbow Bunny basics T. There may be others.

Secondly, it can depend on the needs and taste buds of your bun. If, for example, he/she isn't much of a hay eater, then you could select one that it is higher in fibre. If your bun has teeth problems, then a more spaghetti like pellet (Oxbow is one) would be more apt. SS are a bit chunkier, and slightly contravene the natural chewing action of buns, however, they are
high in fibre, and are considered the better ones, although too many can lead to weight gain... and some buns just won't eat certain ones, whatever!

I don't know anything about A & P, I've not used them. I did use Excel when we first had Berts, but they gave him too many soft poos, other bun owners swear by them.

If they are for young rabbits, then excel do a junior range, and Oxbow do Bunny Basics 15/23

If you go to their websites, you may be able to find nutrition information. HTH Smile

ETA, if it's for your wee buns, then you can also give them one with a higher Alfalfa content, this is safe until the mature, but shouldn't be given to adult buns, as it's too high in protein.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down