Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think he'll be on Metacam for ever

+3
NickieM
KatieB
Jay
7 posters

Go down

I think he'll be on Metacam for ever Empty I think he'll be on Metacam for ever

Post by Jay Tue May 18, 2010 10:10 am

As some of you know, Bertie's been on a stepped metacam reduction for nearly a year now. After he was diagnosed, Mr C put him on a 10kg dose, twice a day. Over the year, that's been reduced by 1kg each month, and is now a 1kg dose twice a day, which he's been on for the last 3 weeks. We were hoping to get it to zero, and then give it reactively.

The last few days I've noticed his energy lowering, poos getting smaller, and keep finding him a bit hunched. This morning, he was clearly not having a good time. He wouldn't come out of his dig box hidey, wasn't enthusistic about his food (although he did eat it - slowly), and he won't straighten out, just sat hunched Sad I'm keeping an eye out on him cos he looks potentially stasis-like.

I've given him a 10kg dose, and will do for the next couple of days, then bring it back to 5kg and leave him on that for a couple of weeks, see how he goes. He was really good on the 2kg dose, and we left him on that for ages before reducing it to 1, so I'm a bit sad for him that he hasn't been able to get off it completely. I don't know if this will change, but I suspect he'll be on it for life really, we've done everything we've been advised to -he's lost the excess weight, increased exercise and sorted out a much better diet. Perhaps this is the time to think about introducing Glucosmine, and see if that helps?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

I think he'll be on Metacam for ever Empty Re: I think he'll be on Metacam for ever

Post by KatieB Tue May 18, 2010 10:54 am

Sorry to hear berts is poorly today It cant be nice facing the thought of him being on drugs forever. Bless him.

You have done a wonderful job with him and what you have done must have made a huge difference for you to have been able to bring the dosage down so far already.

Sending nose rubs for gorgeous bertie - I hope his pain eases soon and that he is okay.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

I think he'll be on Metacam for ever Empty Re: I think he'll be on Metacam for ever

Post by NickieM Tue May 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Maybe he will just need it to control the pain. Arthritis is a nasty illness and some days are better than others. I know that my mum used to suffer more when it was damp and cold than in the summer. Perhaps when the better weather - ever - appears, he will be a little better.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Tue May 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Sorry Bertie's off today I hope he picks up really soon Jay.

I think you've done so well with him and you're managing his condition really well. Unfortunately, arthritis is a @!*@ and the best you can do is manage it. I hope that with the better/warmer weather he'll improve a bit more, but unfortunately I think it likely that he will need some level of meds(going from my own experience of it). Also there will be times when it flares and he'll need a bit more for a few days too.

I can't offer any assistance on the glucosamine, but if you were asking about a human, I'd say give it a go.

I hope he soon recovers, give him loads of noserubs from us and lots of feel better vibes coming his way!

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed May 19, 2010 8:57 am

How is Bertie today Jay?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed May 19, 2010 9:41 am

He's picked up a bit, he's spaced on the Pain relief I think Rolling Eyes but he's a lot better than yesterday, Thanks for asking Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 am

Sending him nose rubs and cuddles.

Hugs for you too. Its horrid watching one you love feeling poorly.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Glad he's a bit better today. Hopefully, it was just one of those bad days and he'll feel brighter now.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu May 20, 2010 7:28 pm

Poor Bertie Sad

Sending noserubs and hope he is back to his normal self soon xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 am

Still doing ok Jay? Poor old Berts. At least he is good about taking his medicine!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat May 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Hope Bertie is OK, sorry you had to go backwards but sometimes it's the only way we can determine what is needed in the end, good luck Jay you have done a fabulous job with him, let us know how he is
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat May 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks for your replies, I guess I'm just a bit disappointed, as I don't like the thought of meds for ever.

His energy in the last few days has been so different, and he's been binkying like a nutter, which we haven't seen for 3 weeks or so, so he was obviously feeling discomfort before. I've got him onto 2x5kg dose now, and we'll reduce it again over the next few weeks, and see how he goes, but the Bertsta is back in action albino
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun May 23, 2010 3:37 pm

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY for the bertsta!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down