Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wound healing

4 posters

Go down

Wound healing Empty Wound healing

Post by starsister Sun May 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Our belgian hare Jesse has dislocated her back ankle + has a deep cut under her paw. The vet bandaged it all up to try + set it, but then discovered a week later that it had badly infected! We ignored his fears that she would have to lose the leg + proceeded to give her intense Reiki + spiritual healing. We also covered the wound with Manuka honey + got her lying on her back for an hour at a time 3x a day! Result is that the infection is almost gone! BUT now it's healing she's licking at it + stopping it scabbing over. The vet says don't bandage it, keep it open. Obviously we're not going to use one of those horrid collars (she wouldn‘t be able to clean herself or keep her weight off the back leg + they‘re cruel!). So has anyone any ideas about how to help her? Any suggestions welcome please!

starsister
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Wound healing Empty Re: Wound healing

Post by Catsknickers Thu May 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Sorry I have only just seen this. Wow you have done so well to get her sorted, fantastic. It is a real problem to stop them from licking the wound. Honey can sometimes be tingly I wonder if that could be why? In my experience the only thing that you can do is use some sort of collar to stop them. I don't have any other ideas Very Happy
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu May 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Can't offer advice, but sending vibes for a full recovery.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by starsister Fri May 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Thank you both so much for your replies + good vibes! Yes, I'd wondered about the tingly-ness of the honey. Also, she's a very clean rabbit + it offends her to have sticky stuff on her fur! So I'm thinking of leaving it off for a couple of days to see how it goes. She's still having anti-biotics so should be OK. Love

starsister
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri May 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Honey is so good for infections. However you could be right that could be what is causing her to lick at it. What anti'b's is she on?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Fri May 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Well done!, you sound like you have done a great job with her, if she has a wound I always use Manuka Honey, I find it works the best and it's not invasive or dangerous for them if they lick it, good luck
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by starsister Sat May 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts for Jesse. I tried her overnight without honey + it looks better this morning! However, my partner Jean got her some +18 Manuka yesterday (we were using +10 as it's all we could get in a hurry from our local shop), so I've tried that this morning, making sure to only put a little on so it doesn't go on her fur - we'll see what happens! Her anti-biotic is Baytrill - 2ml a day. She's on 0.3ml Metacam too. Very Happy

starsister
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down