Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Behaviour change after spaying?

4 posters

Go down

Behaviour change after spaying? Empty Behaviour change after spaying?

Post by Indie22 Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Anyone had any problems with their rabbits behaviour changing after they have been spayed. Had 2 of my girls done together over a month ago now, went in together and all was well. Since then one started chasing the other a bit, wasnt bothered as the hormones are everywhere for the first few weeks but it got worse, I was goingin to hair every where, she was attacking the other in the hutch, chasing her constantly while out and poor nugget would spend the whole day out regardless of weather not wanting to go in. I groomed them 2 days ago and found 4 or 5 healed nips on the backs and bums and split them after seeing another squabble. Obviously now they are split that it, I will sort that out though. This morning I went into the bullying one and pushed her hay back in her bed, she darted out at me boxing and pushing in an agressive manner (not biting but wouldnt put it past her) she has NEVER done anything like this and is fairly calm quiet bunny. She has been vet checked so nothing due to health. All I can think of other than the neutering is that she got a bad bite from one of my others in a supervised meeting and maybe took it badly but the sudden agression to me and worsening agression to the other rabbit doesnt sound typical.

I know that with ferrets if you spay them its 50/50 whether their temperament will stay good or they wil become nippy.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-03-08

http://www.eladonnsreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

Behaviour change after spaying? Empty Re: Behaviour change after spaying?

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Hun,

Im not able to give you any advice but I hope they are okay.

Im sure someone will be along soon who can help.

Katie
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks, just hate seeing 2 lone rabbits, one may go into the bigger group but dont know if its too risky. Shes too big to go in with the netherland babies shes quite a big lion lop. Not sure what to do with the one showing the agression.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Not really sure myself, but it sounds very territorial. If she was just chasing the other rabbit, it could be because she had had a bad experience. Her boxing you does sound like she is defending her pad.

It might help to try to put them together in a neutral area like a bath and see how they react to each other. If she is very territorial, maybe she feels that Nugget is an intruder. If they meet on neutral ground, she might be a bit calmer.

I had this suddenly happen with Gloria and Wolfie a couple of weeks ago. He escaped into the garden and was out for about an hour. When I caught him and put him back, Gloria went for him and they were unsettled and scrapping for the next couple of hours. They are settled down now, but it was a bit unnerving how quickly it can happen.

Splitting them is the best thing as it hasn't gone away and you will maybe have to start from scratch again and just hope they can re-bond.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:36 pm

I dont think neutral territory will work with this one, the garden is fairly new to them and should act the same but they have been together since 8 weeks old so shouldnt be an issue. They have never been very well bonded and fairly independant of each other but not a sign of aggression till now, especially to me. Thing is she was being defensive over a hutch that she was only put in for the first time 2 days before. My group of four would be severely depressed without each other, nugget doesnt seem too bothered so not missing her much.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 pm

the culprits! the black ones the one being agressive.

Behaviour change after spaying? Nugeb9

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:10 am

aw they're both gorgeous.

Could the reason behind the behaviour be that the black one feels more vulnerable / less confident or powerful because of the spey? that she feels weakened because of her surgery and thus is more paranoid about people or other bunnies? Her injury or scar makes her feel like she couldn't defend herself if someone did attack, so she's adopting the policy of the best defence is offence?

Sorry i don't have any real solutions or ideas. Have they both fully healed from their spey? Hope they reconcile soon.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:05 am

id say thats more likely. yes they are fully healed. I put her in a run last night while it was cool and sat in it with her adopting the "im ignoring you, your not that interesting" approach and got her confidence up enough to approach me and get a scratch. I took a strange toy out and rolled it to her a few time, she was fine then used my hand to lift it to her as a wee test and she pushed it, boxed at and reversed so I think shes genuinly been petrified and needs a lot of confidence back with me first then rabbits. I have a rabbit that shes not kept with but seems ok with her and shes the most submissive of the group so might help her with confidence cause cookie will either ignore her or wash her from head to toe.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Nugget made a friend today! The answer was right infront of me, she needed a friend that wouldnt be a threat, quite calm, respectfull but would bring her out her shell. I also have the group of 2 boys and a girl which are not far off maturing. Im obviously aware that the 2 boys most likely will stop getting on as their dangly bits are close to dropping lol I let her out in the garden with the netherlands out playing around their pen (neutral territory and took her a while after just watching to be brave and come and see. because theres 2 boys she had the choice who she liked better and made excellent progress with my white nethie, samson. Hes just before maturity so would be seen as a baby and no threat, he had excellent manners on how to approach her but because he knows hes still a boy he wanted washed....I was like oh no this is where it goes right or wrong...but she washed him and they played, ran and skipped about. Will introduce daily and hope it stays as good, she would get a boyfriend then he will be old enough to be castrated.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Yayyy Nugget. Bless her. I hope this new bond works for her.
Hopefully she will grow in confidence with you too. Bless her heart.

Ive never seen a white nethie???

Pics????
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Glad that they have worked it out themselves. cheers
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Well had them together again straight after work, put them in a small run (a new, neutral one) Needed to get a true idea of what they thought of each other close. Nugget has been terrified to have her bum facing a rabbit from the bites but was comfortable. Samson chased 3 times a bit iffy but hes young and amerous but it ended with a wash from both rabbits on the others face. He did do the deed but shes neutered anyway and he will be done soon. They were fairly comfortable and she allowed him to .. you know... and didnt retaliate at all, just moved away a couple of times. Does this sound ok for a second introuction in a small area?

Im uploading pics from this.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:24 pm

nuggets my biggest lion lop and 5 months old. Samsons 3 months old but a decent size for his age. Little and large. I wouldnt dare do it if the big one was the cocky one and they little was the shy one but they seem to work. The digestives were to break the ice.

Behaviour change after spaying? Nuggetsam

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down