Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reaction to Myxi vaccine and VHD due tomorrow!!

5 posters

Go down

Reaction to Myxi vaccine and VHD due tomorrow!! Empty Reaction to Myxi vaccine and VHD due tomorrow!!

Post by cocorabbit Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Dear Happy Hoppers,
This website has been such a brillant source of information - thank you!
I am a first time rabbit owner and my little mini-lop is 10 weeks old. He had his myxomatosis vaccine a couple of weeks ago and has had a reaction at the point of vaccination (bottom of his ear). He came up with a lump under his skin, which he's scratched and it's scabbed over and gone bald. The vet gave me some funicerm (sp?) cream last week
He's now got another lump near the first one.
He seems ok in himself and is eating well but is not running around so much when he's in his run and he's not very happy to be picked up ( probably because i'm putting the cream on him twice a day).
He's due for his VHD vaccine tomorrow. I've asked the vet to order in Lapinject, which she has.
I just don't know if he should have it whilst he's still reacting to the Myxi vaccine. I've read that reactions to the Myxi vaccine are quite rare and usually only occur in a rabbit with underlying health problems. I couldn't bear to lose him as i've only just got him and fallen in love - but the VHD disease is so nasty I couldn't bear for him to get that either.
I just don't know what to do for the best. Has anyone here had a rabbit react to the Myxi vaccine?

cocorabbit
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Back to top Go down

Reaction to Myxi vaccine and VHD due tomorrow!! Empty Re: Reaction to Myxi vaccine and VHD due tomorrow!!

Post by KatieB Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Hun,

Welcome to HH.

Ive not had any experience with a reaction to mixi but I just wanted to welcome you.

Someone will be along soon that can help im sure.

Katie
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Reaction to Myxi vaccine and VHD due tomorrow!! Empty Re: Reaction to Myxi vaccine and VHD due tomorrow!!

Post by Jay Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi and welcome to the site, I'm glad you've found it so useful Smile

Common reactions to the myxi jab tend to be more of the bun being very quiet, off food for a while and not happy to be handled. Less common are what your bun has, lumps, but they do happen.
Re: the second lump..The Myxi jab is given in 2 stages, with the majority to the blood stream, and a small percentage into the skin , or intradermal. Some vets do this in one injection, by partly removing the needle to do the intradermal bit, some vets remove the needle after the first bit and re-apply near the spot for the second bit. Both are usually around the ears.

I'm afraid I don't know if it would be safe to vacc. for VHD at this time, or whether the reaction your bun has is due to underlying health problems, I must admit I've not heard that before, but then, we learn as we go along.

I would speak to the vet about it before taking him in for his VHD, and see what they say, as most are usually pretty good on vaccination contra-indications.

Vibes for your little guy and let us know how it goes, I'd be interested to hear the outcome. Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi and welcome to HH
My bun had his Myxi 2 weeks ago too and like last year he went a little off for a while, he had a lump at the injection site (which went the same way as what you described in yours, but Shadow didn't scratch his) although this years wasn't as bad as last years.
I've literally just walked back in from the vet with him, he's just had his VHD, the vet asked if he had any reactions from his myxi, so they want to check before they give the next vaccine.
Here is my question about Shadow's lump last year clicky
Best to ask the vet if your worried, they are there to help.
Hugs to your little bunny and to your too!
Emma
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by cocorabbit Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:36 am

Thank you for your replies. It's reassuring to know someone else's bunny had a lump from the Myxi jab and that they're fine.
I took Coco to the vet and saw a different vet. He criticised the other vet for injecting the Myxi jab in the ear and said that he never puts the Myxi jab in the skin and that 'ivory towered science causes problems' - not sure I'll be going back to him!!
He said that Coco would be fine with the VHD jab (Lapinject) and did it in the scruff of her neck.
When I got her home she lay next to her litterbox on her side with her eyes all glassy so I started freaking out. Then I realised how hot she must have got in the car and at the vets so I put her in her run on the patio and she recovered quickly. You have to be so careful with rabbits and heat don't you!!
She seems fine now and is bouncing around like a happy bunny. The Myxi lumps still seem to bother her so i'm still putting cream on them twice a day. The vaccine manufacturers say in their info they usually disappear after 25 days so we've got another 2 weeks to go.
Thanks again for all your reassurance and support - what a wonderful forum!

cocorabbit
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:49 am

So glad that she looks like she is fine. It is such a worry because they hide so much. Fingers crossed the lump disappears.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down