Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nipping Bunny.

+2
KatieB
Acorn
6 posters

Go down

Nipping Bunny. Empty Nipping Bunny.

Post by Acorn Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:48 pm

My boyfriend and I have a rabbit, George, who lives at his and not mine. He is a wonderful little bunny but he nipps my boyfriend lots, not just to ask him to move out of the way. For example George will hop up to him when my boyfriend is sitting on the floor on the floor and start sniffing and exploring and will nipp him, sometimes alot haha He does this exploring with me but George never nipps me only nibbles gently. Does George have a grudge against him of some sort, that maybe we don't realise, is that why hes more inclined to nipp more? Does my boyfriend, by accident, enclose him more so George thinks he can't get out and is actually asking him to move? Is it because I am female and my boyfriend is male? So George bullies him like almost as a rival of some sort haha George has been castrated in May so I didn't think so but I thought I would ask the advice of the lovely people here =]

Update: Thank you for all your help! I will try out everything you have suggested =] I talked to my boyfriend about it, and he says that George also digs at him when sitting his lap and pulls at his clothing with his teeth. Does anybody know what this might mean?

Last edited by Acorn on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating information)
Acorn
Acorn
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Nipping Bunny. Empty Re: Nipping Bunny.

Post by KatieB Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Hiya,

Im not going to be much help im afraid but I know that some buns do nip for a little attention. He may want your BF to groom him?

Hopefully someone will be along soon who can help you.

Katie
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Or he may be a were rabbit who wants to eat your boyfriend! Jealous were rabbits are very dangerous. Laughing

(Actually, KatieB has a point. He may just want your Bfs attention and may want to be sure of his top bun status, seeing bf as being your top bun. You need to be sure to treat your bf mean too so bunny can see that he really is a lower life form - however, bunny may then nip you!)
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Hey nice to see you Wave I spoke to a bunny behaviour expert about George this morning. A few suggestions:
Yes, it could well be because your are female, although he was neutered a few weeks ago, he will still be responding to his hormones.

If you wear perfume, is it worse then? (Perfume has Pheromones in it)

Does your BF give him as much attention as you do - i.e. is George your bun mainly?

There's a couple of things you can do - you need to back off a bit and your BF needs to become more interactive with George.
Get George used to sitting near your BF when he's eating his fave food. Over a few days, your BF moves nearer to him as he's eating.
Then, your BF could try putting his fave food on his hand for George to eat from - we did this with mine a couple of years back and it made a huge difference.
After a few days of that, if the nipping has stopped, or become less regular, your BF could try stroking him whilst he's eating his fave food, just on his head. See how that goes, and then increase the interaction over a few days.

Let us know if any of that works, as it's something that does crop up on here from time to time Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Acorn Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Thank you for all your help! I will try out everything you have suggested =] I talked to my boyfriend about it, and he says that George also digs at him when sitting his lap and pulls at his clothing with his teeth. Does anybody know what this might mean?
Acorn
Acorn
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Bertie does this to me and not Paul - usually when he's hungry and/or wants attention. It's like a digging thing, I'm a bit confused by it, but a bit of spring green or similar usually stops it Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:39 pm

I've also found the digging and tugging thing to be a cry for attention, usually some ear tugs placates my lot. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Acorn Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Aww, thank you for your help! =]
Acorn
Acorn
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Sooz wrote:I've also found the digging and tugging thing to be a cry for attention, usually some ear tugs placates my lot. Smile

Bertie would never settle for something so simple, and cheap Laughing
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Sounds like an attention thing to me, Carlo nips me when I dare stop grooming him and go on to his wifey Bobby, he looks like he has little cross eyebrows with his eyeliner, he gets very angry when he is ignored as well Shocked
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down