Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speyed female recovery question

4 posters

Go down

Speyed female recovery question Empty Speyed female recovery question

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi, I'm having Faline speyed on Monday. She's not yet bonded to Vince, so should I bring her indoors whilst she gets better or is she ok in her hutch outside? How long shall I leave it before I introduce her to Vince? (he is being castrated at the same time)
Thank you!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Speyed female recovery question Empty Re: Speyed female recovery question

Post by NickieM Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:34 pm

I would bring her inside. When both of my girls were done, I brought a small hutch that I used then as a hospital hutch into my back porch so it was quiet and a bit warmer. That way you can check that they are eating and pooing and weeing which is important.

Also, you need to keep an eye to check they are not nibbling at the incision. My vet glued the wound shut, but some vets use a stitch and buns can nibble this open. My buns weren't very co-operative about being check for this and I just had to keep an eye on them.

When they get back, give then a nice soft bed of hay to snuggle in and nibble. They will probably not move around too much initially. Entice them to eat with some greens that you know they love. I put in some fresh grass and dandelions and when they went, kept giving her titbits of broccolli, carrot etc. You can also give them some pellets but the aim is to get them eating normally so make sure there is lots of hay as well.

Keep an eye on the toilet corner and check that they are peeing and pooing. Usually they make a fast recovery as they are pretty resilient to operations like most animals. Make sure your vet has given her pain relief when you collect her.

Hoping everything goes well.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Deffo inside, it's a major operation, and she'll need care and a close eye keeping on her.
Nickie's advice is spot on Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Top advice from nickie... Keeping an eye on poos is a really good way of checking everything is working normally,

Its important to make sure she is given pain meds too.

K x

Hope they are both okay x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content