Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re bonding Faline and Hazel

4 posters

Go down

Re bonding Faline and Hazel Empty Re bonding Faline and Hazel

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Hiya, well if you have read the post I put in the Infirmary thread you'll know that poor little Hazel whom I rehomed today had to visit the vets to check out her bitten privates. I bought her home and have re introduced her to Faline who I rehomed last Friday. They sniffed each other and all seemed ok. They are in the 4ft by 2ft two storey hutch at the mo, but I have seperated them into a floor each. (this is a temp measure as I couldn't have left Hazel where she was, being attacked, and Faline has just been speyed and I don't have any more spare hutches) I opened the bottom floor door to let Hazel hop about the dinning room and I lifted Faline out of the top of the hutch to run around the dinning room. They were there together for 3 hours, both in the same room next to each other with no problems. I think they do remember each other.
I have seperated them again overnight just incase of any squabbles esp. with both of them having healing wounds. Tomorrow I'll let them play together in the dinning room again in the day and if all goes well I'll let them sleep together tomorrow night.
I don't think Hazel likes Vince though! She didn't half growl at him when he was running around the dinning room and she was in the hutch. I do hope I can bond the 3 together.!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re bonding Faline and Hazel Empty Re: Re bonding Faline and Hazel

Post by Velvet.Tears Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:07 am

It will take time but i'm sure she will get attached to him
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:50 am

Faline will need some time to recover, just like us when we have a serious operation, and feel yuk, we want to be left alone. I wouldn't rush any bonding yet. Same with Hazel after she has her spey.

It may be an idea just to keep Vince in his cage for now with the other two having sniffing access, so they can all get to know each other without risking any fur flying. He will still have his testosterone in his system, and this will affect how he reacts.

Many people bond in the bath, with a towel on the bottom. It gives a small space that you can control and get them out of quickly if needs be.

The girls will need a few weeks to recover. This will all be quite delicate, so don't be in any rush, but please keep asking questions along the way. You're doing great so far!
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:51 am

You are doing brilliantly! All the right things.

I think for Hazel you need to remember that she has been badly injured by abother bun and so she is going to be very frightened of Vince at first which is prob why she growled at him. Apart from Faline, the other buns she has come accross were nasty to her.

I think she is going to need a little bit of time to overcome her fear of vince, but I think she will - it will just take patience for her to learn that she is safe with you.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks guys, Faline and Hazel are happily back together which I am pleased about. I will wait a long while now before introducing Vince to them. I want Hazel to recover from her spey next Tuesday and be in top form and relaxed. I have moved them back outside together now with their hutch by Vince's run so they can see each other but not touch. Only thing is the girls are in the hutch that I didn't think was big enough for Vince on his own! I don't want to turf Vince out his hutch and put him in the girls hutch as I don't think thats fair on him. All 3 have had a turbulent time so I don't want to disrupt them.
I ordered a play pen from the net, it's only a cheap one but it'll do the trick to give the girls some supervised grass time. The poor guinea pigs keep having to time share their run with the bunnies!
I'll post some piccys of Hazel soon, as the first pictures I showed you of her weren't the most flattering of pictures...ahem....!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Cant wait to see the pics.

however small their space at the mo - its only temp and its 100 times better than where they were living, so I wouldnt worry too much. It wont be for long and they will all be living in Vince's palace.

Glad that Faline and Hazel are re-united! Wonderful news
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down