Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What made you choose a rabbit as a pet/companion?

+4
KatieB
proudmummy
Catsknickers
Vince the bunny
8 posters

Go down

What made you choose a rabbit as a pet/companion? Empty What made you choose a rabbit as a pet/companion?

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:20 pm

I was wondering what made you choose a bunny as your favoured pet? For me it was a moment of enlightenment at a family park attraction local to me. They had some baby lionlops and when no one was around I gently picked one up and it was so cute and fluffy. Previous to this the only rabbits I'd come accross were like that one out of Monty Python, horrid vicious creatures. I went home and looked up what was involved in keeping a rabbit and decided guinea pigs would be easier. We got two piggies but tbh they are not the brightest of animals!
One afternoon we went to PaH to buy the piggies a new waterbottle and saw Vince in their rescue section. There was just something about him that called out to me, I held him and knew he was going to be my first rabbit. We rushed home to sort out his accomodation then went back to get him. I then learned that the reason he'd been fighting his cage mate was because he needed neutering, so I got that done then set about finding him a doe companion and that's where Faline and Hazel came in. I only intended to get the one doe, but you all saw the photos of Hazel when I first got her so we ended up with the trio.
To further my enlightenment with rabbits, I then got Rosie as a house rabbit. This has been a total source of amazment that a bunny can be a companion animal like a cat or dog and live in my house, and not poo chew and wee everywhere!. I've been missing out on something special all these years. My choice of pet has always been rats, they too are clever and can be a companion, but the bunnies are different. They are so gentle with my children, they don't nip their little fingers when they touch them and Rosie always comes over to investigate when the kids play in the backroom. I think it's great that my kids will learn positive things about having a pet rabbit and how to respect them and treat them with kindness.
I've been quite unwell over the last few months, I feel comfortable enough here now with you guys to say that I have recently been re diagnosed as having bi polar disorder which has been truly awful for me and my family but when I have my mixed episodes of mania and depression, I always find sitting with my bunnies so theraputic and calming. Their silence really has a positive affect on me. They just 'are', I can't explain it, they command respect and that they trust me is an honour.

So, why did you choose bunnies and what impact have they had on you?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

What made you choose a rabbit as a pet/companion? Empty Re: What made you choose a rabbit as a pet/companion?

Post by Catsknickers Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 pm

I didn't really know anything abt bunnies although have always been a huge animal lover. I had had a bun as a child and treated it very badly, kept in a small cage, alone, fed the wrong food etc. I hadn't bothered with it and felt they were boring. I used to let it run loose in the garden and thankfully it escaped into my neighbours garden, she was a fantastic, buddhist woman and took much better care of him/her than i ever could have.

About 7 yrs ago I was at work and a co worker I had known for years was talking across the desk to someone, saying how she hated her rabbit. To say I was appalled was putting it mildly. I hadn't even known she had a bun and had even been to her house. I immediately heard myself say "I will have him".

A few days later she brought him round. I had spent days researching. He had always lived in a tiny indoor cage in a cold outhouse and had a bowl of food and a bottle but that was it. I couldn't believe he had spent 7 years like this.

I let him out of his cage and laid on the sofa with him and he laid on my chest and licked me for about 2 hours. Of course at the time I had no idea that this was such an incredible thing for a bunny to do and I know now that it was him thanking me for being there and rescuing him.

Bugsy went on to live a further 2 years with me. We had one of THE most special relationships I have ever had with a rabbit. He was truly incredible. I got him a friend and so on and I know that he knew I adored him. I lost him to an abscess in 2006 and it broke my heart. To this day I miss him.

He led me to rabbit forums where I met alot of the people you see here and have gone on a huge learning curve and now foster for the RSPCA. One small dutch rabbit, changed my life forever and led to the current brood of 6 I now have now, along with all the work I do with the RSPCA. Bugsy taught me that rabbits are incredible, misunderstood creatures and I feel compelled to make a difference for them and to educate others.

The long and short of it that rabbits have brought me the most wonderful friendships I have ever encountered, given me knowledge and compassion and taught me that life can be very fragile sometimes. Sad But for all the tears I have shed, I wouldn't change it for the world. They are so special.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

What made you choose a rabbit as a pet/companion? Empty Re: What made you choose a rabbit as a pet/companion?

Post by proudmummy Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:57 pm

((hugs)) Char that is lovely, brought a tear to my eye xxx
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:40 am

Matt and I got daisy a month after we got married. My boss had bunnies and they had had bunnies and he was giving them away. I just couldnt resist. He said he had one little girl left so I agreed to take her (hadnt even seen a picture) we went out and brought a hutch and an array of bunny things and set it up in our garden.

Daisy was brought into my work in his little carrier and I had never seen such a beautiful little creature in my whole life (and I thought he was a girl). Those big frightened eyes looking back at me. He stole my hubby's heart too.

As it was, Daisy was only in the hutch for about two weeks. He was coming in with us every minute we were at home anyway and one night we just didnt put him back out there.

He has taught me soooooooooo much. I would never have believed how much personality they have and what wonderful companions buns are.
I am absolutely in Love with everything bunny now and can never imagine my life without a bun to share it with. He makes me smile every single day no matter how rubbish im feeling.

He is my everything, and my days revolve around making sure has everything he needs. He has been very poorly and we nearly lost him, which has made me even more protective of him and I find myself watching his every move. Thankfully he is better now thanks to Mr Chitty, but will always be a dental bun.

For a bun so small he fills our whole house to overflowing with his cheeky ways and his gorgeous personality and I love every second I spend with him.

I really want to help change things for buns out there in the future.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm

First bunny I had was called Skip. He was from an accidental litter, and I got him as a child. He lived free range with my guinea pig Coco (hence my username). Coco passed when he was about 5 years and Skip at the age of 7 years. I had him from the ages of about 8-15, and I have to admit he wasn't always given the best care in the world Sad It's been a HUGE learning curve since then though but I seriously feel so guilty whenever I think of that poor rabbit!

I then started a job at a local pet store which sold all kinds of exotics. I HATED HATED HATED the job so much because the animals were treated so badly so I quit after a couple of months and reported then to the RSPCA Laughing While I was there, I fell utterly in love with a giant REW that was there. I knew at that point I HAD to have a giant bunny Laughing. My dad didn't mind so much at the idea, but my mum was dead against it Laughing. I won her over eventually though somehow! I did some research on it and ended up falling for a baby from a litter of 11 - Hermione. She was a Steel Continental Giant. I was told she was 7 weeks old when I bought her, but in fact she was closer to 5 weeks Sad. I bought her home and she was just the most captivating bunny in the world. I knew I had to get her a friend though but I was being very naive and chose not to get a rescue bun. I bought Oscar from a breeder too when he was about 7 months old. He wasn't needed as a stud any more as he wasn't good enough for the 'breeding programme'. I bonded Hermy and Oscar as soon as Oscar was neutered and they were inseparable.

Having Hermy in my life has changed my perception on everything. I never knew I could love something as much as her. She has seriously touched my heart so much and she has given me memories I can never forget. Unfortunately her life was taken far too early, but I am so glad in her short life she has shared something with me Love
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:30 pm

We had a bunny when I was a kid - most people do. She was called Tinker and she was a monster. A New Zealand White, she was the size of a dog and was really aggressive. She used to go mental at anything in the garden and that cats used to walk along the fence rather than in the garden because she would go for them. She once attacked the Postman. Came flying out of the bushes and got him nicely on the ankle.

I now know that she was just a big hormonal girl who needed to be neutered and to have company. She had GPs for company - they had their own hutch - but really needed her own kind.

My own buns came about when a good friend's marriage broke up. Before she split with her husband, she mentioned she was re-homing the rabbit and that her ex was thinking about just letting the rabbit loose. I was horrified and said we would take her.

She was called Holly and my friend was so relieved that the bunny was safely away from her OH. My son just loved having a pet and spent lots of time photographing and chatting to her. Eventually we got her neutered and then got her a friend, Wolfgang. They were happy together for a short time before Holly died.

Poor Wolfie was very lonely - as he is now - and so we got Gloria as company for him. She came from the SSPCA in Dundee and was the most fabulous rabbit ever. Her personality was amazing and her and Wolfie were a marvellous pair. They both loved being naughty and escaping.

Wolfie is now back to a solo life for just now, but I am hoping to bond him with Felix, a stray who came to me a couple of years ago. They have met a couple of times and I do think it will be OK, but I need to have time to try them out.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:38 am

Aww I love these stories, and it's nice to hear about buns that we never knew, keeps them alive Very Happy

I'm afraid my reasons are cathartic and based on guilt Sad Someone left a Blue giant in a box on our driveway when I was kid. I was raised on a farm, and for some reason, people used to dump animals on us quite regularly. We called him Blueberry, and built him a makeshift hutch, and he lived a probably fairly awful few months outside, before a fox got him Sad It was a long time ago, and no-one knew any better.

When I was around 10, there was a massive outbreak of Myxi, that nearly eradicated the wild bunny population, again. It was the worst it had been since Myxi was introduced to this country. MThe old man and I used to go out shooting the myxi buns Sad Contrary to popular belief, some farmers were horrified that Myxi had been brought here, and gave up time to put these poor things out of their misery. I always had the utmost respect for him for doing this.

So I have gone full circle, after living for years with this terrible feeling that the only interaction I'd had with buns was not good. Four summers ago, a family of squirrels moved onto our balcony, and entertained us for the whole summer. I don't know what set off the thought, but by the Autumn, Bertie had moved in Love Such a special guy, abused, terrified and very anti-social, he needed a lot of love and it took well over a year for him to feel comfortable enough for us to touch him Shocked Watching what happened after that was amazing, as he transformed into a dream bunneh Very Happy His sudden death was the biggest shock and sadness I have had in many years, but now he lives on in Stewie, who reminds me so much of him albino

I just seem to have an affinity and unexplainable understanding with these animals, I can't explain it, but I don't need to, cos you all have it too Love

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:03 am

Well my story really isn't anywhere near as good as these - simply, my Mam, when I lived at home (Which I did until the age of 20) wouldn't let me get a single pet. I was an animal lover then, and I still am, as Im sure you know! My sister had 2 kids, and the little girl also loved anything small and fluffy, though, she's a serious cat-lover, and my Mam hates cats.

Some guy at work mentioned he had bred his bunnies. So my Mam said she'd get one for the kid. She checked with my sister that she'd look after it, and she agreed.

Now, this is where I went and got the strop on, for years my Mammy had told me no, but the grandkid gets! So I said I wanted a rabbit, too. Not because rabbits were my favourite, but simply because I could. So, one day we went to pick up Vivi & Daisy, who we were told were both girls! They were both the teeniest little fluffballs ever, I could hold them in one hand easily. Vivi was such a calm, wonderful animal. He would just sit there, lick my occasionally, and let me stroke him endlessly. Though.. He ain't like that now! But that small moment, bundling him and his sister into some beaten up cardboard box stuffed with hay.. It was wonderful.

I didn't have the slightest clue about anything about rabbits, not a thing. I wish I had! The bunnies must have had a miserable first couple of months, and for Daisy, that would be the first couple of years, sadly. I learned with Vivi as I went along, and then I moved out to Uni. While in my little flat, I also got myself 3 rats (Which I read about beforehand!).

Eventually I got the dog, through much similar circumstances as the rabbit, actually. Since I couldn't keep the dog at my flat, I moved home. I hated living back with my sister, forced the OH to come with me, rented this house Im in now, then set about getting Vivi a girlfriend. Who then turned out also to be a boy. And that started my bunny boom. Something the OH hates me for, but something Id never take back. Seven rabbits, a dog, and rats is an awful lot of animals, and a huge responsiibility, but I love them all so much, and I simply couldn't see my life being any different right now. Though, in the future, Id rather just keep a pai of rabbits, and get them ready-bonded from a rescue! This bonding stuff is majorly stressful! And I *still* don't have my bunnies bonded up... Sad

Thats one long story, eh. Smile
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down