Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worried

+4
Jay
Becki
KatieB
lexybee91
8 posters

Go down

Worried Empty Worried

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Yesterday I got a phone call from a friend, crying down the phone because a lady posted an add saying that if her three female bunns weren't rehomed by monday they would go"in the pot"! Her mum wouldn't let her get them...what could I say?

So I am now bonding three female bunnies and my isobelle together.

fun times.
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-24

Back to top Go down

Worried Empty Re: Worried

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Crikey!

That sounds like hard work. I hope Isobelle will be okay and not be too territorial.

Please post any questions you have and we will try and help.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Four....females......?? Oh my god Shocked Shocked Shocked Dont envy you THAT one!! Good luck Very Happy X
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 pm

The shocking part is...they're all fine.

No territorial behaviour, isobelle humps them and then runs off quiet happily...i'm stunned.

and thanks becki :p I don't envy meeither.xxo
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Are you planning on keeping these new ones Lexy? If not, then bonding Isobelle is not a good idea, as when they are parted, she will go into grief, and that can be bad news for a bunny. She will be happy with Jack I'm sure when they are both neutered.

How old are the new ones?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Lexy, have you really thought this through? A little while ago you were saying that money was an issue for you and you were having to save to have Isobelle spayed. Now you have three other rabbits - all female who will also need spayed. If these rabbits are very young, then you won't see any territorial behaviour as they won't be sexually mature. Once they are, things will change drastically.

It is admirable that you took these rabbits in, although I very much doubt they would have 'gone in the pot'. You need to get in touch with a rabbit rescue centre or the RSPCA and hand them over.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:51 pm

I think you have taken on these bunnies with a big heart, but theres a few things you have to consider.

If these bunnies are not neutured, they will fight, especially because there is four there is no way around it. Maybe not now, maybe in four weeks, maybe 2 months, but they will and the wounds could be horrific, and could potentially cost alot of money.

You say they are fine now, many bonding fail after a few days because a bunny or a few bunnies is shy, and then when they start to say "actually i want to be the boss" trouble will start. I wouldnt bond new bunnies into existing groups or a new bunny as soon as you get them either because that is stressful to them, and they could end up with gut stasis.

Also, you have no idea where these bunnies came from, and new buns should always be panacured (wormed) and quarantines before introducing to a new bunny. If Isobelle is vaccinated she will still be at risk from the other bunnies, for example Myxomatosis can still go to a vaccinated bunny it just is unlikely to be fatal and be cured, if Isobelle isnt vaccinated obviously the risk is considerably higher.

If you bond these bunnies together, they have to stay together, you cant bond them together and then seperate in a few months time, because Isobelle would grieve.

and finally, are you 100% sure they are all females?

I know you want to do whats best for these animals, but maybe being with isobelle isnt the best thing.
xxx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Lovlies, please do not panic:) I know you're worried and it's really cool that you are because you love the animals Very Happy

I am going to keep them. my other half have talked it through and we have agree'd we have enough money.

We only struggled last month because we had1) to put a guinea pig to slee (113 pounds) Our honeymoon, god knows how much money. Christmas too. we are more than fine now plus chris -husband - has a job now.

all the rabbits are two except isobelle who is 18months, They will all be spayed,one a month:)

the lady was a breeder who no longer wanted them, whether they would have really ended up in a pot or not I don't know but I cried and couldn't not do something about it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:11 pm

well thats good then, glad you can take them on, however please keep them seperate until they have all been neutured.x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:20 pm

What, sex's seperate or sepearte seperate?x
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Are you sure that financially you can manage? You did mention on another thread that you had had your gas cut off. That doesn't sound good.

I truly think it would be better for you and the buns for you to give these three rabbits up to a rescue for rehoming. You did a brilliant job rescuing them and you probably saved their lives. Now you need to do the best for them and yourselves.

What I would do would be to concentrate on getting the two rabbits you already have neutered, vaccinated and housed appropriately. Then live with them for a year and learn all about them. Rabbits hide their illnesses because they are prey for so many other animals in the wild. Usually when you notice they are sick, it is serious and needs a vet right away.

I would also strongly suggest that you have them insured so that any serious illness is covered. I recently had a rabbit die because she got an abscess behind her eye. She had to have her eye removed in the hope that she would survive but unfortunately she was too ill. The bill for that came to over £800. Luckily, I had insurance. You mention that you also have other pets so your finances are going to be very very stretched if you keep these three other buns.

You are just married and have all the expenses of your wedding and honeymoon to settle. Why make life any more difficult by taking on these buns when they could go somewhere else - you have saved their lives after all, which is brilliant.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm

completely seperate, anything these new buns have could be passed onto your buns and sometimes there is no symptoms, and also they could fight at any moment being unneutured, in my opinion it would be extremly irresponsible to have four unneutured rabbits together, i dont know if thats the case here but i would strongly advise against it.

xxx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:32 pm

We're on a meter for our gas, we run out. We got some more, we weren't cut off.

I will not add more to the problems of rescues, my local is having it's staff cut. I have the finances to do this and I will.I'm sorry I just wouldn't feel right about it...
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm

If you feel you have the finances to do this and want to keep them then that is your decision.

Are you buns indoor our outdoor? can you fit three more cages/hutches? can we see piccies of the buns Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:36 pm

I don't want to frighten them with cameras yet I want them to settle in their hutches first Smile but when I get some photos i'll post them Very Happy xx
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:44 pm

...Maybe you guys are right, Maybe i'm in out of my depth...but I feel bad rehoming them, I don'twant them to feel unloved. x
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 pm

You have been really big hearted taking on these 3 bunnies. Everyone else
has given you advice on the pros and cons of looking after them. I just want to
wish you luck with it all. Whatever you decide to do I am sure it will be for the good
of the bunnies and also for yourself.
Sending you Hugs
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by lexybee91 Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:36 pm

jomart wrote:You have been really big hearted taking on these 3 bunnies. Everyone else
has given you advice on the pros and cons of looking after them. I just want to
wish you luck with it all. Whatever you decide to do I am sure it will be for the good
of the bunnies and also for yourself.
Sending you Hugs

thank you. its hard but i think rehoming them is best x
lexybee91
lexybee91
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:32 pm

I think that rehoming them is the best thing that you can do for them. They don't realise that they don't have a home and haven't been neglected.

I understand that the rabbits were with the rescue in the first place and that you said you could have them and see how you got on. So I am sure that the rescue will understand when you let them know that the commitment was too much for you just now, especially as you don't have the financial resources or the necessary experience to cope with so many rabbits just now.

Give yourself a year or so to get used to the buns that you do have and you might be ready to increase your fur family then.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Just read up on all this....as Nickie says about vet fees...it may feel like you have enough money atm but when something happens you won't. When I had both of mine neutered it ended up costing 80-100 pounds each because there were complications and they needed extra medication and it took longer for them to heal. I hope whatever you decide, you come to the right decision for you and the rabbits.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down