Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a bit worried

+8
NickieM
KatieB
FluffSlave
gentl
Thumper2001
fiver
Sparky
Sue_pawz
12 posters

Go down

a bit worried Empty a bit worried

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Ted and toffee are not doing much. They spend all day in their house, and rarely come out.

They are still eating and drinking fine, but nothing else.

I'm not sure if they are bored, or finding the room they live in too cold. I don't know what to do. They have never shown interest in toys of any description. When I get some money I'll get them some snuggle safes but we can't do anything about the temperature in their room.

I am a rubbish bunny mummy.

At Least they have each other. I did that right.

a bit worried IMAG0236
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

a bit worried Empty Re: a bit worried

Post by Sparky Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:52 pm

As they are indoors, even in an unheated room I doubt they are too cold. Do they like cardboard boxes? One or two of those with some holes cut in can be great fun, especially if one of the holes is too small and they have to nibble it bigger. What toys do they have? The key seems to be variety - change their toys around quite often so they don't always have the same ones out, and don't give them too many at a time. Treat-balls are fabulous for getting them moving around.

All our buns are a lot lazier at the moment, even those indoors. It might be due to the lower levels of natural daylight as opposed to the temperature - they are still aware it is winter and it's time to snuggle up and conserve energy Thumbs Up

Sue_pawz wrote:I am a rubbish bunny mummy.
No you're not - you are a great bunny mummy. They certainly look like very contented little bunsters in that photo Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 pm

thirstley yor not a bad mum an blu is sam she wont com out less i go an get her maib wether xx

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Sparky wrote:As they are indoors, even in an unheated room I doubt they are too cold. Do they like cardboard boxes? One or two of those with some holes cut in can be great fun, especially if one of the holes is too small and they have to nibble it bigger. What toys do they have? The key seems to be variety - change their toys around quite often so they don't always have the same ones out, and don't give them too many at a time. Treat-balls are fabulous for getting them moving around.

All our buns are a lot lazier at the moment, even those indoors. It might be due to the lower levels of natural daylight as opposed to the temperature - they are still aware it is winter and it's time to snuggle up and conserve energy Thumbs Up

Sue_pawz wrote:I am a rubbish bunny mummy.
No you're not - you are a great bunny mummy. They certainly look like very contented little bunsters in that photo Hugs
I totally agree with the bit in bold. I was going to say the same thing.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:06 pm

They have a box, courtesy of maysie. They have a tunnel, some chew tubes, a castle, some cat toys (balls and stuff). I can't remember where their treat balls are.

The room isn't unheated, it's just a cold room, it has 3 outside walls. It's not been bad lately, but we've had to start keeping their room closed as Bert has been bothering the hamster a bit and she's been shaking and squeaking and generally scared. He jumped up on her cage the other day (running away from the rabbits) so we can only keep the room open (therefore warmer) when we're in it. I feel bad for them.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Cold bunnies generally sit scrunched up and trying to conserve heat - they don't look like cold bunnies. Could you put something across the doorway which would stop Bert (a cat, I assume) getting in but allow the door to be open? Or put the hamster cage somewhere that Bert can't bother it?

I'd take some of their toys away too and swap them around every couple of days. You'd be amazed what they take an interest in when it's 'new'.

I really don't think you have anything to feel bad about - they're just being bunnies and the fact they have the freedom to do that is the most important thing you can give them.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:12 pm

They look quite contented in the photo. A side by side bunny flop! Right now Rory is sleeping much more than he is active. I agree it must be the decrease
in natural light.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Have to say, I'm a little embarrassed by the picture, you can tell it's end of day cleaning time can't you?
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:32 pm

I think, even if you had cleaned up 5 minutes before, they still could have dragged the hay around before you got a chance to take the pic! Laughing

Stop looking for things to be annoyed at yourself about Suspect

Eta: I mean that in the kindest possible way Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Ah, you've found my biggest talent: beating myself up!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 pm

You should stop beating yourself up. You are NOT a bad bunny mummy. You are a great bunny mummy!

Your bunsters look extremely relaxed to me and all of us hoppers understand just how hard it is to keep a bunny room tidy Rolling Eyes

They sound like they have a great life and I'm sure they are very happy Thumbs Up

It is probably the time of year. My two live in a fairly cold room (the floor is concrete and it's at the back of the house), and they spend most of their time lounging and munching since the clocks have gone back. I wouldn't worry too much Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Mine are the same - a lot more lounging about at the moment - you are a fab bunny mum! That picture is of two completely relaxed buns!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Because you are going through a bad spell, you are doubting everything you do and just seeing the negatives.

My buns are indoors and they don't do very much, especially during the day. I felt guilty leaving them when I went to work, but when I was off this weekend, I left the cage open for one of them - and he sat in his pen and just snoozed.

Your buns look like they are just enjoying lazing about. They are lying full stretch so they feel relaxed and comfortable. They just look like happy bunnies to me. Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:47 am

Sue a lot of buns are like this it's that time of the year and they know it, our's are a lot more active in Summer. They all seem to sleep and snuggle up together at the moment.

Ted and Toffee slept a lot here and although they had a big potting tray full of hay in their indoor cage and another huge potting tray in their play pen full of snuggly soft hay they chose to sleep at night in their carboard box so I don't think they are cold and although they had lot's of toys to nibble and toss around all they played with really was their box and they loved running in and out of the tunnel. I gave them a toilet roll inner with some hay inside and they pulled all the hay out and nibbled a bit of the toilet roll inner and then left it. With only having them in the bunny room boarding and no other boarding buns at the time they were here I opened up their pen and gave them the whole room nearly and they spent most of the time snoozing in the play pen or the box even though they had a lot of space. So I don't think they are bored they just choose to sleep.

If you have the room you could do some more boxes for them to run in and out of , bunnies love them and they don't cost anything and I find that a lot of rabbits that don't pay much attention to a lot of their toys will enjoy a chill n chew mat http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/chill-n-snooze-mat.html I find the buns like these and go back to them time and time again to nibble them.

And you are not a bad bunny Mummy at all xxx Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Right, I've been digging around in the spare room of doom and have pulled out a couple of things that were put away during the kitchen fitting, including their scratching post.

But perhaps I need to stop worrying, and like you say, it's the weather etc.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:48 pm

mine have quitened down a bit too i think it's the time of year Smile

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Ted and Toffee look like two very contented buns in the picture. Please don't be so hard on yourself Hugs Hugs Hugs

I have spent a fair bit of money on toys for mine which they have studiously ignored. Their most favourite things are cardboard boxes, to sit under, jump on and chew and tunnels. I do push the boat and buy them willow baskets as all the buns love sitting inside these and despite the chewing do last a long time.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Nibbler is like everyone else, being a lot more lazy recently. He chooses to spend most of his time in his pen! You're not a bad bunny mummy at all, Ted & Toffee look really happy & content Smile
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:11 pm

They honestly do look happy Smile
It's typical really - hot weather they aren't active to cool off, cold weather they may not be active to preserve heat or generally feel off because of the light!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down