Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going for a new setup - UD They can escape!!

5 posters

Go down

Going for a new setup - UD They can escape!! Empty Going for a new setup - UD They can escape!!

Post by Vivi Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:33 pm

I keep my bunnies in my spare bedroom currently, and while they were all single buns, there was room for thier cages and little else.

But now, bonding is well under way and only one pair to go, and they'll be moving downstairs 'till they're bonded anyways.

What I always planned to do was attach a pen to the front of thier cages so they can hop in & out and have some extra space, but what I worry about is, they very probably aren't litter trained, I mean, they use a corner in thier cage, but Ive never done anything to make sure they *always* go in the corner, so they'd probly go all over my carpet also if I put just a pen down.

So, what would be best to put under the pen? Just a scrap piece of carpet or lino? Would that do it, or would it soak through or what?

Does anyone else have a setup like Im planning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated coz Im going to get to work on it this week, I think. Smile

Last edited by Vivi on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Going for a new setup - UD They can escape!! Empty Re: Going for a new setup - UD They can escape!!

Post by Jay Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Lino would be good, as it's wipe clean, but try and get a textured one, as it can be slippy underfoot, which can damage legs and spine if they move quickly on it. Put newspaper down on it too, but TBH, they usually go in the same place, even if it's a corner, so you may find that they will just hop back in to use the corner, then hop back out again. They'll probably poo all over the new bit, but wee where they did before.

An old bit of carpet would be better if they do as above, as it's not so slippy. good luck, hope it goes well Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Going for a new setup - UD They can escape!! Empty Re: Going for a new setup - UD They can escape!!

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:28 pm

I went to my local carpet shop and bought some carpet tiles/sample for 50p each, then if Rosie peed on one I could just throw it out and replace it. I found thb though that Rosie never peed on them, just the odd poo but she did like to dig on them!

I use them in my hutches now and put a few on the floor of their runs, just have to be careful they don't chew on them, if so I jsut remove it and replace it and at 50p a peice you can't go wrong!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:33 pm

How big is a carpet tile? My pen sides are somewhere between 1.5m and 2m so would it cover a square made of those?

If not Ill go with lino and newspaper, and possibly carpet if they don't pee everywhere, I have spare of both since moving house that I hung onto.

And, thanks for the advice. :-)
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Bit of a delay getting this off the ground due to hangovers/job interviews.

But Ive done it! Got Lino on the bottom, a bit of wooden flooring (Didnt have enough to cover the whole area) carpet around the edges of the pen to act as a 'barrier', then a whole bunch of newspaper on top.

Shame that the bunnies haven't really made us of it. Vivi came out for abit, went back in his cage, and went to sleep... Kuja came out, tried to bite me... Went back in to eat some hay.... Really, really appreciative bunnies, mine are...
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36 am

Vivi wrote: Shame that the bunnies haven't really made us of it. Vivi came out for abit, went back in his cage, and went to sleep... Kuja came out, tried to bite me... Went back in to eat some hay.... Really, really appreciative bunnies, mine are...

Laughing Cheeky bunnies. It sounds like they have a great set up - really, they should be thanking you!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 am

Last night me and the OH were woken by fighting buns so I went into the bunny room and saw that Lani had a chunk of fur pulled from her bum, so I went to check her out and Kuja kept trying to come over.. So I thought he must have attacked her and he was trying to get econds, so I picked poor Lani up, and thats when I saw a Vivi quickly heading for the door! I put Lani back down, stopped Vivi from escaping and put him back in his pen/cage...

How the hell he got out I don't know, jumping is the only thing I can think of... But my pen is quite tall!

Ill try some mesh or something over the top I should still have it from when I bought the pen, and if he still escapes... Then its beyond me how he's doing it!

Otherwise the new setup is working great, Vivi and Beatrix are very muc litter-trained and don't even leave so much as a raisin outside thier cage. Lani and Kuja, however, are peeing everywhere Sad
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Rosie used to jump over the top of the pen, even when I put a cove rover it and clipped it with washing pegs, she would STILL get out!! If there is a tin gap, they'll figure it out! Rosie used to pace the perimeter looking for weak spots, you could hear her brain ticking over Going for a new setup - UD They can escape!! 811805
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:50 am

Since the mesh addition no new problems ave arisen :-)
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:47 pm

YAYYY!

Sending nose rubs!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down