Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He's at it again. U/D Its Back - Abscess

+16
thumpersmum
Josephine
jolovesbunnies
Catsknickers
SarahJane
NSD
Becki
Rosie Rabbit
Dawnbunny
NickieM
LilyGrace
Yodaphine
Dotdot
Snowy
Jay
KatieB
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

He's at it again. U/D Its Back - Abscess - Page 2 Empty Re: He's at it again. U/D Its Back - Abscess

Post by SarahJane Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:28 am

Oh poor Daisy! Sad x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

He's at it again. U/D Its Back - Abscess - Page 2 Empty Re: He's at it again. U/D Its Back - Abscess

Post by Jay Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:06 am

Sad Poor Daisy, tyy to stay calm, you've been here before xxx Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 am

Oh No, Poor boy. It really is such a worry when you know they are ill but they arent displaying clinical signs as such. I hope you get to the bottom of it sooner rather than later Sad Sending vibes xxx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:04 pm

oh poor little Daisy Sad Hope the Septrin will help and the x rays show what the problem is Katie...

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:06 pm

I hope you are able to get some answers soon. Poor Daisy Sad

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:04 am

Bless his cottons, hope he's ok, what a worry. Thinking of you both xxxx

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:01 am

Oh no, poor wee Daisy, i hope Mr Chitty can sort him out in the morning. Sending him lots of get well vibes and more Hugs for you. x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:51 am

Oh no poor Daisy. Hopefully Dr. C will be able ot figure out what is wrong with him. Thinking of you Katie Hugs
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:26 am

Hope all goes well this morning for you both xx
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:20 am

As Jay said, you've been here before so stay calm.
Let us know how you get on Hugs
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:10 am

thinking of u and Daisy this morning...... hope he is feeling a little better...
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:02 pm

We are back, he has an abscess in his jaw and sinus, which means its officially back.

My poor boy. We battled with this for almost a fully year, and we almost won. Time to do battle again.

I was worried about him going into stasis with the second round trip Andover in a week on top of him feeling ill - but we have been back about an hour and he has eaten a little hay and some herbs so this is really good.

We are on Septrin and Metacam long term for a while to see if we can shift it again, and ill prob be asking lots of questions about nutrition as I want him to be getting the perfect balance for a tip top immune system.

Ive also decided to start a new thread - sort of a diary to chart his progress.

Get well soon vibes for my beautiful beautiful little boy gratefully received. As with lots of you the word Abscess scares the life out of me.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Awwww, poor gorgeous boy No Sending masses off nose rubs and get well vibes to little Daisy xxxxxx

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:50 pm

More 'Get Well Soon' vibes on their way for the little fella. x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:49 pm

May I suggest to you what I did with Stacy when she had abscesses. I used to open them up (she let me because they were hurting her so much and the vet treatments weren't working) and literally cleaned them out fully opened all the pus everything (one she had went right down to her bone on her paw) She knew I was helping her and she let me do it and she had one on her neck. Medicines they reoccured but on my own with cleaning them out fully they never appeared again.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Oh poor little Daisy boy..... pleased he is eating on his return... come on we are praying Daisy and you can beat this.... thinking of you both...

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Thinking of you and the beautiful Daisy B. I know theyre scary - but hes seeing SUCH a good vet he literally is in the best place, septrin is very good, Peanut didnt get any until he had already one set of treatment and it failed, Daisy has got it much sooner.
I will be thinking of him x

VT - I dont think Daisy's abscesses are in a place suitable for self cleaning, I used to keep Peanut's wound area clean but I would never recommend opening anything up yourself, I understand each case is different but that really makes me feel uncomfortable - Im sorry but I dont see how doing that yourself works better than vet treatment.

Peanuts treatment didnt work, and it was horrible to watch but theres no way opening something up myself would have been any better.I know some vets keep wounds open for flushing etc but doing such a thing on your own at home, because vet treatment wasnt working doesnt sit well with me, and while thats obviously in the past I just feel a bit concerned that someone could some on here and see this and think they would do that. I dont want that to offend you, but i have to say what i think about it. x

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Katie I am so so sorry to hear that his abscess is back. However, thank goodness that you are so observant. The fact that you noticed very small changes in his behaviour, means you have got treatment at the very first sign of trouble. That early intervention is crucial. Plus that fact that you have got such an amazing vet whose level of knowledge and experience is top level, means that his chances are so much better than a rabbit with a run of the mill vet.

Sending lots of healing vibes and I think the idea of a diary is a great idea and will probably help you a lot.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:34 pm

The dreaded abcesses. A vet that is abcess-savvy is always the best bet, plus all the appropriate home-care. I have everything crossed for him Katie, give him a kiss from his Auntie Reen. xxx

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Velvet.Tears wrote:May I suggest to you what I did with Stacy when she had abscesses. I used to open them up (she let me because they were hurting her so much and the vet treatments weren't working) and literally cleaned them out fully opened all the pus everything (one she had went right down to her bone on her paw) She knew I was helping her and she let me do it and she had one on her neck. Medicines they reoccured but on my own with cleaning them out fully they never appeared again.

Daisy's is not in a place for self treatment but some abscesses can be lanced at home, in fact, sometimes the owners are required to keep opening them as an ongoing part of treatment as they heal very quickly externally in an attempt to reseal the capsule. What normally happens though is that the vet will lance the abscess initially, using sterile equipment to prevent further infection of the wound, and the owner will then be required to keep it open and clean.

Provided this is authorised by a vet and the right equipment is supplied it isn't an issue, but it is a case by case course of action and not a DIY cure-all. However, simply cleaning an abscess, especially one which has penetrated to the bone, will not be enough to stop it tracking through that rabbits body without adequate antibiotic support and this would usually need to be in an injectable form with a suitable antibacterial/antibiotic scrub to flush the wound with.

I would not recommend ANY owner ever attempts to treat an abscess without first consulting with an experienced veterinarian. These are not the mild complaints in rabbits that they are in people and other animals, they are almost impossible to cure and sadly, very often fatal. Effective wound management is usually the only long-term solution.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Oh no Daisy! So sorry Katie, at least you know how to do battle if it's any consolation?
Tons of vibes for the little one.
How are they actually caused?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:19 pm

I have no idea, how he got it in the first place.

I am frightened for my little man but I know that I have the very best vet I could have, and we beat it before (well almost).

I need for him to be okay. He is my baby.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Katie, I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor Daisy. Sad

As others have said, you have a very experienced vet and have been through this before - you have every chance of beating it again.

Sending you and Daisy lots of healing vibes and hugs xx
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:52 pm

It sounds like you have a brilliant vet.
Daisy sounds like a strong cheeky boy and has every chance of beating it again.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:56 am

Oh Katie, you must be so worried Hugs Like the others have said, it's great that you've got an amazing vet and have caught it quickly. It's a testament to how well you look after him.

Like you said, you beat it before, you can do it again. Sending many healing vibes to the young man and calm vibes for you xx
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next