Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice needed asap please! - New U/D 29.04 - Home

+8
Dawnbunny
NickieM
Tuckerbunnies
KatieB
jolovesbunnies
Happy Hoppers
Becki
Fliss&Penelope
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Advice needed asap please! - New U/D 29.04 - Home - Page 2 Empty Re: Advice needed asap please! - New U/D 29.04 - Home

Post by KatieB Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Oh honey I hope you can get her eating and home.

When daisy stayed at the vets cos he had stopped eating we took in things from home that had his smell on and this made him feel safer and I think really helped get his belly moving. We also went into the vets and syringe fed him, I think seeing us really helped him.

I took his own blankey and his teddy and I took one of my jumpers that I had worn too. I would still bet on the teeth really, daisy only has to have the smallest of hooks and it bothers him, fingers crossed.

Thinking of you both hun, please keep us updated. x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Advice needed asap please! - New U/D 29.04 - Home - Page 2 Empty Re: Advice needed asap please! - New U/D 29.04 - Home

Post by Fliss&Penelope Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Well, she is home! They wanted to keep her in but i said no, as they were closing early today, (at 5pm) so would be alone. They don't discharge over the weekend and as Monday is another BH, they wouldn't let her home then either.
So, no way was I letting her stay there for three more days, with skelton staff she doesn't know and be alone at night as they close early and nobody stays overnight.

However, she is still ill. She still isn't eating/drinking/pooping at all, she is having to be syringe fed in the hopes that will get her going again.
The vets wanted to keep her in because of this, but I didn't see the point of it as I can syringe her at home, longer then they can too as I stay up with her till midnight and her last feeds at the vets is 7pm.

I have to take her back in the morning, to be weighed and see if she's eaten/pooped yet.

They can't give me any reason as to why she isn't eating/pooping as her teeth are now filed, her tummy has food in it and her x-rays showed nothing.
All they can tell me, is that we have to monitor her and if she still isn't functioning normally by tuesday, they will have to open her spay scar and see if they nicked her tummy or anything when they did the surgery.

So, now she is at home with me and has been since 4.30pm. Since then, she won't eat any food I give her, no greens, hay or museli. She throws her drink bowl away from her, and hasn't been near her litter tray and is now sat behind the sofa in sitting position and has been ever since 5pm.

Not sure what to do really, any advice would be great. And lots of eating vibes for Penelope please!!

x x x x
Fliss&Penelope
Fliss&Penelope
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-04-11

http://www.offbeatgirldesigns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:40 pm

How stressfull for you, hope she gets beter soon, eat little one Sad
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Fliss&Penelope wrote:

So, now she is at home with me and has been since 4.30pm. Since then, she won't eat any food I give her, no greens, hay or museli. She throws her drink bowl away from her, and hasn't been near her litter tray and is now sat behind the sofa in sitting position and has been ever since 5pm.

Not sure what to do really, any advice would be great. And lots of eating vibes for Penelope please!!

x x x x

Good for you, glad u got her home, like you said you can have a go more often at feeding Penelope...

Does she roam freely around the house all the time or do you have a cage / small room you can confine her in ?

When mine are gastric like this post op I put them in there beds(4ft cages) and lock them in... this helps them to conserve energy and concentrate on eating and drinking again. I always try dandelion leaves /grass first , then basil or watercress ..... if this doesnt work I give them a tiny piece of banana or apple. At this stage getting anything in them is a bonus...

Come little Penelope we are thinking of you darling..... eat some food sweetheart...

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:23 pm

How is Penelope doing today ?

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:46 pm

How is she today hun?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun May 01, 2011 12:46 pm

What a worry for you, how is she today?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Fliss&Penelope Sun May 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Well...Penelope is in a massive grump today. Sad

She hasn't eaten overnight, but she has pooped. I think she may have eaten her hay but I can't be sure, the pile looks smaller, so I think so!!

She won't let me syringe her though, have tried twice now and the most I've managed to give her is 5. She's meant to be on 67 syringefuls a day until she starts eating!!
She is just constantly wriggling, thumping, scratching, biting anything basicully to get off the table and hide away in her corner. It's a pain/worry as she really needs to have it as if she stops eating fully, even syringe critical care food, she has to have an Op to open her tummy and see if there is a problem there.

I really don't know what is wrong with her, bless her. She just will not eat, shes nibbled a bit of cabbage, nibbled a bit of a dot leaf, nibbled some hay all from my hand. But nothing else. And Penelope used to be a bunny that would jump on her food and munch it all up!

Am really not sure what to do with her anymore, I don't want to hurt her by trying to keep her still and syringe her, but I don't what her to stop eating altogether either. So tricky :/

Fliss&Penelope
Fliss&Penelope
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sun May 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Could you wrap her in a towel to stop her scrambling around? Poor you, and poor penelope, hope she is better really soon Hugs
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon May 02, 2011 4:38 pm

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon May 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Oh Bless poor Penelope Sad it's awful when you have a bun that doesn't like being syringe fed we had the same trouble with our dwarf lop Pud when we first got him home and he was on all sorts of medication but he would struggle so much and try and bite you but my hubby started to wrap him in a towel and although at times he would tuck his head inside the towel hubby managed to get the critical care or meds down him. Now he is no problem at all.
I certainly would have a go at the bunny burrito Smile

Sending lots of 'please have your Critical Care ' Vibes for Penelope xxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Mon May 02, 2011 6:42 pm

How is she doing today? Hugs
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Fliss&Penelope Mon May 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Hey Felix&Willow (and anyone else reading!)

Well, Penelope is still giving me a fight! We tried the bunny burrito last night with an old pillowcase, and OMG it was a nightmare. She was really not happy about having her body wrapped up, so much so that she struggled to break free and she did, and bit me on the neck!!! (little vampire Laughing )

We finally managed to find a position to get her antibotic in and some food, she sat in the crook of my arm on the table, so under my armpit (was clean!) and I held her front paws while my mum stoked her head and fed her.
We did the same this morning, but we have dropped the syringe feeds a little as she is starting to eat (hooray!), not loads, but about half her bowl which is great progress from nothing.
We have also found a new favourite of hers - cabbage!! She ate two big leaves yeaterday and two leaves today, so that is great progress to me!
She is also pooping alot more, not the usual consistancy/shape, but it is poo!

I think she is on the mend, she is alot giddier now, almost back to normal and is back to playing with her toys which she hadn't been. She is still trying to nip me, but I don't blame her, all I've done recently is take her to the vets which she hates!!

She has a check up at the vets tomorrow to check her weight and a tummy feel, so hopefully that will go okay and she won't need any visits for a while as I really think she needs to just spend time at home and become settled again and go back to her usual giddy self Smile

Sorry for the long update post!!! x x x
Fliss&Penelope
Fliss&Penelope
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Mon May 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Ah that is so great, really glad she seems to be making progress,

Beki Very Happy
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Mon May 02, 2011 8:56 pm

thats great she is eating.. let us know how u get on at the vets tomorrow.

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Really really glad she is making progress.

I had a similar issue with daisy over the weekend. Because his tummy had shut down he wasnt absorbing his pain killer, therefore eating less, therefore tummy slowing further. So we concentrated on getting his tummy working, with the syringe feeding and also syringing slightly warm water.

He seems to be feeling better now so hopefully it is the same with penelope.

Sending her lots of love.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu May 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Just thought I'd check and see how Penelope is doing so glad to hear she is improving and eating Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Fliss&Penelope Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey,

Just a little post to say that Miss Penelope is doing sooooo much better Very Happy

She is bouncing around again, eating her food and water as normal. She has discovered that she loves fresh cabbage leaves cold from the fridge, so she is eating these by leaf load!

She had a check up today, she has lost a little weight, but the vet said that is to be expected as she is eating & pooping again, but I have to try and get her weight back up to her before nuter weight.
It is currently 1.32g but the vet wants it to be 1.40g, so any tips on getting her weight up is appreciated Wink

Due to the fact she is eating again, etc. The vet and I decided it must have been her teeth causing her not to eat and be a bit blah, so just have to keep an eye on her now and make sure i get her to eat lots of hay/greens and has plenty of toys to gnaw on. I know it will come back, but hopefully doing this will make sure she has quite a bit of time inbetween dentals, as the vets make her so stressed Sad

As she was feeling better, she was finally allowed to have her Myxo jab, which we have been waiting to give her for two months but she wasn't healthy enough to have it. So glad she finally got to have it, have been on edge for two months about having the windows open due to nasty flies being near her!! She goes back in two weeks for her VHD jab and a weight check.

Am so glad she is feeling better and seeing her play again and be her normal food munching jolly self is so good to see!

Thank you everyone for your support and vibes during Penelope's illness, I can be such an anxious bunmum so it's good to have the support of the forum in those times.

You are all lovely Very Happy

Love,

Fliss & Penelope xxx

Advice needed asap please! - New U/D 29.04 - Home - Page 2 5659125656_7c62eb8f53
Playing with toys again!! (her attempt at fetch!)
Fliss&Penelope
Fliss&Penelope
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu May 05, 2011 10:54 pm

I am delighted to hear that she is feeling better. You must be so relieved. xx

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Thu May 05, 2011 11:00 pm

thats great news Very Happy
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2