Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice needed

+4
Tuckerbunnies
Snowy
Jay
Bunbury
8 posters

Go down

Advice needed Empty Advice needed

Post by Bunbury Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi. I realise I don’t post often at on this board, I’m more of a contented lurker, but I need to ask for some advice. Raindrop is a contented 2 year old bun who has a persistent problem with gungy eyes. He’s been on fucithalmic and fuciderm for his eye and the region around his eye which we apply nightly, and this works for him while he’s on the meds but the gunge recurs as soon as he’s non-medicated. He’s been to the vet several times about this and has had his tear ducts flushed two or three times. On his last visit to receive a third antibiotic injection (not sure exactly what it is, sorry) the vet informed us that she thought raindrop should continue on the injections for 6-8 _months_. Also that she would teach us how to inject him ourselves so we didn’t have to keep visiting the vets. I don’t want Raindrop to resemble a rabbit-shaped pincushion unnecessarily. Has anyone else had experience of this? Is my vet giving good advice?
Secondly it’s been suggested by my father (who incidentally has little experience of rabbits) that the bedding is what’s causing the eye problem. I use wood-shavings from pets at home After some research I agree that it’s not the ideal bedding material, and am switching to something else. But is it the cause of the eye problem? Many thanks for reading and in anticipation of some good advice.
Bunbury
Bunbury
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed

Post by Jay Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Nice to see you Wave
Sorry to hear about Raindrop, but I suspect it's likely to be a tooth problem if it doesn't clear up with anti B's. I would suggest talking to your vet about an X-Ray to establish this or not, as continuing to administer anti - B's is unlikley to do much if the root (and it can be a root that's growing at an odd angle, or is too long) of the problem isn't addressed.

Fuciderm is an anti-B and a steroid skin cream, and as such has potential side effects if used for for a long time. In my experience, more experienced bunny vets only prescribe this for a short time, if at all.
These side effects are listed in full on this website
Contra-indications, warnings, etc

Do not use on skin conditions other than those for which your veterinary surgeon has prescribed Fuciderm gel.

The use of the gel over large surface areas and prolonged treatment should be avoided.

Do not apply to the eye.

Adverse reactions: Anti-inflammatory corticosteroids, such as betamethasone valerate, are known to exert a wide range of side effects. Whilst single high doses are generally well tolerated, they may induce severe side effects in long term use and when esters possessing a long duration of action are administered. Dosage in medium to long term use should therefore generally be kept to the minimum necessary to control symptoms.

Steroids themselves, during treatment, may cause Cushingoid symptoms involving significant alteration of fat, carbohydrate, protein and mineral metabolism, e.g. redistribution of body fat, muscle weakness and wastage, and osteoporosis may result.

Locally applied steroids may cause thinning of the skin.

Corticosteroids may delay wound healing and the immunosuppressant action may weaken resistance to or exacerbate existing infections. In the presence of viral infections, steroids may worsen or hasten the progress of the disease.

If you notice any serious effects or other effects not mentioned in the data sheet, please inform your veterinary surgeon.

Special warnings: For animal treatment only.

For external use only.

Also, fucithalmic eye drops are an acid anti-B - not something you'd choose to adminster every day if it could be avoided.

Has the vet done a 'Culture & sensitivity' test to know which is the most effective anti-b? I'm worried that yo're shedding out money for treatment when the cause hasn't been established - but I'm not saying that the vet is incorrect, it just seems a bit stab in the dark from what you've said.

This is only things I've picked up along the way, I haven't had a dental bunny myself, so I hope someone else can give you a bit more help and advice from experience. Smile

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Good advice from Jay and I would also ass that woodshavings can cause eye irritations and it is not suitable as bedding material for bunnies, I put newspaper down and then cover it with hay and the bunnies love it
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Yes I agree with Snowy about the woodshavings we also use newspaper with lots of hay on the top of it, it's much warmer for the bunnies in the Winter Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Im sorry to hear your little guy is poorly.

Im afraid i dont have any good advice other than to agree with the others about the wood shavings, newspaper would be much better.

I do have a dental bun but we have rarely had an issue with his eyes because of it.

I hope you can find the answers.

K x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:04 pm

I have a bun with a permanently gunky runny eye. He has had his tear ducts flushed but his ducts are blocked. They can get scarred by the procedure or can be damaged by infection.

I would definitely ask you vet to investigate his teeth. It will possibly involve a GA so they can have time to explore well and deal with any spurs they find.

Also, I would definitely change from woodshavings. Rabbits can get scratches on their cornea. This happened recently to Felix and it took a couple of weeks of meds and ABX before it cleared. You can ask your vet to check to see whether he has an ulcer.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:18 am

Hi Martyn, which vets are you using? I use Lincvet and am often sent home with jabs to administer myself. Do you know what jabs they were suggesting? Did they look at Raindrops teeth? Shavings could definately be irritating the problem. If it was Lincvet you went to, which vet did you see as Mikel is the one that is rabbit clued up!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunbury Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Well, I just got back from the vet again this morning, (not sure what her name is Charlotte, but she works at the vets at Newport) she has already checked his teeth. Also, she meant to say 6-8 _weeks_ not months, which is much less intimidating. The injections are depocillin, once every two days, she's instructed me on how to inject. I think it'll be much less stressful for Raindrop having his jabs at home, although I must say that he's incredibly chilled out about getting his injections, and doesn't complain at all! I asked the vet about the bedding also, and she recommended hay over wood shavings, I am going to throw them out. Thanks again for the advice.
Bunbury
Bunbury
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:41 pm

I was advised on here to get rid of the wood shavings and I ordered 'megazorb' instead, its fab stuff, mine wee where ever i put hay and just newspaper is unsightly and not very comfy for them to lie on. I googles 'megazorb' and 'The hay experts' stock it, cost me £7 for a huge bag that should last months.

Hope little one is better soon Wave
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:51 am

Hey Martyn, not familiar with that vets. Depocillen jabs are good. How many days apart are you giving them? Just watch he doesn't get tummy trouble, they sometimes can. Did she give you a pro biotic to give Rainsdrop too, to stabilise the gut flora?

Buns are pretty good about having their jabs. I tell you what I use in my indoor set ups, just shredded paper from my shredder and wooden cat litter in their trays.
Good luck dude! Sounds like it is all under control Thumbs Up
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content