Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's no wonder people buy small hutches :(

+13
Felix&Willow
Kate7590
jolovesbunnies
Amelia66
SarahJane
Happy Hoppers
LilyGrace
Becki
Velvet.Tears
James1966
KatieB
Lottie
Jay
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

It's no wonder people buy small hutches :( - Page 2 Empty Re: It's no wonder people buy small hutches :(

Post by sicklestick Wed May 25, 2011 5:44 pm

SarahJane wrote:They had a mouse reduced to £2 too. and pedigree rabbits £25, non pedigree "just £10" Shocked

The problem is that pet stores don't make their money on the actual live animals - they're just there to draw people in and to build the customer base, the more spontanious buys there are the better in their mind. Living accomodations are pretty much the same - it's the food and toys they want you coming back for.

I don't think stores should be allowed to house/sell any animal other than rescues, and those animals should fixed. That alone would drive up the cost. Let's face it though, unless the store owners grow some morals that isn't going to happen any time soon!!

It is nice to see that some stores are starting to work with rescues and showcase adoptable rabbits, but they're few and far between. 8(

sicklestick
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

It's no wonder people buy small hutches :( - Page 2 Empty Re: It's no wonder people buy small hutches :(

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu May 26, 2011 12:54 am

I'm afraid I'm every shopkeepers nightmare because if they sell hutches and they are not nice big ones that a rabbit can periscope in and have lots of space....I tell them! Hissy

I wish the RWA would make little stickers that say ' This hutch is far to small for a rabbit, please don't buy' because I for one would be sticking them everywhere as I've seen so many ' far to small' hutches. Garden centres seem to be the worse offenders for selling cheap small so called rabbit hutches Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Thu May 26, 2011 6:33 am

Some times the information displayed in pet stores is far too basic, and worded badly (or maybe not sometimes, always!) for instance i have seen 'rabbits sometimes like to stand up on their hind legs, and in the wild might do this to pick a leaf from a raspberry bush' - i think the potential owner then thinks its not absolutley necessary. Mine actually periscope alot, it should read 'it is essential the have the room to stand up at all times, and not just as babys, but when they are fully grown' x
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:49 pm

'Pet shops' are frankly a disgrace to way they treat animals a
I don't even think a 'chain' like PAH should be selling animals esp. buns which are in no way an 'easy' or cheap pet to have like they have you believe. The commitment is the same as having a dog, basically.
The health of these poor things suffers being brought up the way they are ie. taken away from mum too early, high stress levels, moving about X many times, cross bred, being kept in cr*p conditions, and being given wrong foods too young (red pepper or grapes and crisps that the lorry driver gave them on their way to the shop!?) I've read many more awful stories about this.

Sorry for the rant, but we learnt a lot in a very hard way.

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Yes I agree love, they should be banned altogether. Dogs and cats were bannd from being sold in pet shops but bunnies, guinea pigs etc are still sold as if they are not as important. It makes me seeth,

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2