Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylap

5 posters

Go down

Cylap Empty Cylap

Post by alicia Thu May 26, 2011 5:22 pm

I've just rung the vets and made an appointment for Molly and Archie to get their VHD vaccinations. After I made the appointment (I know now that I should have asked first) I asked what vaccination they used and she said cylap. I got it mixed up with Lapinject and thought that cylap was the ok one so I've now made the appointment and just double checked and realized I got them mixed up. I'm not sure what to do. They are meant to be getting vaccinated on Tuesday, should I cancel the appointment? What are the side effects, should I get them vaccinated with cylap anyway?
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Cylap Empty Re: Cylap

Post by LilyGrace Thu May 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi this thread has lots of info on the side effects and some links to information about cylap https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t11739-not-a-happy-bunny

For me, it was not worth the risk and in the end I changed vets because they wouldn't order in Anivac or lapinject for us. However I think the decision is totally with you, if you are worried about the risks then perhaps it would be worth cancelling, or talking to your vet about it x
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Thu May 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Thank you for the link, I've read it and I now think I'm going to either cancel the appointment or talk to the vet tomorrow. The vets is closed now so I can't cancel it tonight. I'm not really sure how to say it though, I'm rubbish at talking to new people, but I don't want Molly and Archie getting ill so I'll talk to them tomorrow Smile After all the things I've now read about cylap (I've spent the past hour reading about horrible reactions) I really hope all vets stop using it soon, it sounds horrible Sad
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu May 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Yeah it doesn't sound too great, hopefully your vets are helpful..my old ones were rubbish when it came to this topic! Maybe just ring up and ask if they would order in anivac or lapinject for you first? Because then you'd just need to move the appointment till they had got it in. If they won't do that then perhaps say you'd like to cancel the appointment for now until you decide what to do Smile. You have every right to change your mind don't worry, I'm rubbish at talking to new people too but once you just go for it and do it you realise it wasn't all that bad after all! Good luck, hope it goes okay xx
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Thu May 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Thank you Smile I was reading some things about Lapinject (hope thats spelt right Laughing ) earlier, and I don't understand the 5 dose thing. Do they have more than one injection, and does it cost any more than cylap? Sorry, I only ask because I want to make sure I take the right money to the vets
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu May 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Ermm from what I believe and someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not totally clued up, but I think lapinject has to be ordered in a bottle which contains 5 doses and they all need to be used in the same day. So potentially it could cost you more if they can't use those doses in the same day and they want you to pay for all 5 :/. I might be wrong though. I also think from what I've read anivac is cheaper than the other two, when you ring up just ask if it'll cost any extra to have a different vaccine and I'm sure they'll let you know Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu May 26, 2011 10:09 pm

^^
Vets refer to a glass bottle as a vial. A vial can be a single dose and comes in a packet of say, 10 separate glass doses, or it can come in one big bottle with enough for a multiple of doses. However, once that vial is opened - whatever size - it must be used right away. That is why Lapinject is expensive if you only have one rabbit. Anivac comes in packs of 10 separate shots so the vets can order a 10-pack, sell you two doses and still have 8 doses that they can sell to other customers. There is no need for you to have to buy ALL 10 doses in this case. Cylap comes in the same kind of pack and they don't charge you for all the doses either.

I would cancel the appointment and then ask them to order in Anivac. If they are difficult or try to charge a fortune - change vets.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu May 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Your buns may have Cyclap and be fine hun, but a few buns arnt. Daisy got a poorly leg.

Good luck with your vets. There is no reason why they couldnt order Anivac. You could direct them to the literature that comes with the Cyclap as I beleive it states in the leaflet that 50% of buns will have an adverse reaction.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Fri May 27, 2011 8:57 am

NickieM wrote:^^
Vets refer to a glass bottle as a vial. A vial can be a single dose and comes in a packet of say, 10 separate glass doses, or it can come in one big bottle with enough for a multiple of doses. However, once that vial is opened - whatever size - it must be used right away. That is why Lapinject is expensive if you only have one rabbit. Anivac comes in packs of 10 separate shots so the vets can order a 10-pack, sell you two doses and still have 8 doses that they can sell to other customers. There is no need for you to have to buy ALL 10 doses in this case. Cylap comes in the same kind of pack and they don't charge you for all the doses either.

I would cancel the appointment and then ask them to order in Anivac. If they are difficult or try to charge a fortune - change vets.

Thanks Nickie! That sounded much better than how I explained it Embarassed
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri May 27, 2011 9:12 am

Let us know how you get on, I'm in discussion with the BVA (british veterinary assoc.) about this issue at the mo. Hope they change it for you.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down