Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bald mouth...

4 posters

Go down

Bald mouth... Empty Bald mouth...

Post by JoeyBunsMum Tue May 31, 2011 12:40 am

Hi again everyone,

Seems that little Joey has got a little bald patch near his mouth, which I noticed today Sad
As some of you may have seen in my 'nose Issues' thread, he's been having Zithromax and Metacam syringed via his mouth, and I would guess it's something to do with this? He has been getting his head covered in it, especially his mouth area (obviously) as it has been a struggle to give him the stuff and both medicines are both quite syrupy and it looks like he's got quite a few loose strands that are ready to out around his mouth, covered in this medicinal glue.

Not really what to do or how worried to be, but it does seem to be related to the meds to me. I know it can be mites, but he was fine before this and not scratching the area a lot.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Fran

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Bald mouth... Empty Re: Bald mouth...

Post by Jay Tue May 31, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Fran, I haven't experienced this when giving long term meds, so can't say for sure if it's that. Have you tried putting them meds on food, I know my last bun used to have Metacam on pellets, and had it that way.

Keep an eye on the bald patch, she may need to see a vet about it if it gets worse.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue May 31, 2011 10:43 pm

It could be that you are squirting the meds in too quickly. If you take it a little slower and stop occasionally, it means they can lick around their lips and then you can start again. If you squirt it all in, it might dribble out at the side as it is too much for them to deal with at once.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue May 31, 2011 10:46 pm

hi Fran,

Daisy has been on meds for a while now and while we have some sticky patches (where the monster spits it out) we havent had any baldness.

I think try what nickie suggests and then if no difference perhaps mention to your vet next time you see them.

Sending hugs

Katie x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi again, yes you come to expect the sticky patches but the baldness is a bit bizarre. It looks like he's had hair removal cream on him in a little patch...Never encounted that before scratch

We are now putting the meds in his pellets after a bad episode at the weekend. He was avoiding his food when we put the medicine on, hence why we had to syringe it down as he wasn't getting his medicine or pellets . Now I think he's worked out the meds on his food is the lesser of two 'evils'. I will mention the bald patch to the vet, as we have to ring her for a progress update.

Fran x

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Good Luck Fran,

Let us know what the vet says.
KatieB