Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bald Hocks

3 posters

Go down

Bald Hocks Empty Bald Hocks

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 pm

I feel like i talk about teeth and sore hocks a lot! But im just wondering what youve done for bunnies with bald hocks rather than sore hocks.

There are so many different views and opinions im not sure what to do, hay, vet bed, vaseline, fleece, foam mats, hard floors etc etc...

Hughie is ready and raring to go to his forever home, hes gained weight and looks less puny, his hips arent as prominent and his ribs have a bit of covering now Smile Hes just ideal. He does have bald spots on his hocks though, which i have been keeping an eye on and they havent got sore at all, but it would be nice if we could give the hair a chance to grow back.

I think its going to end up being hay, as fleece is controverisal too from what ive heard. I still have half a bale of straw though, will this be ok too?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Bald Hocks Empty Re: Bald Hocks

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:51 pm

I think it depends on the type of bald spot. I am assuming that you are not talking about the natural bald spots that bun have there.

I was having this conversation with my vet today. Flo bald strips from her hock joint streching halfway down both feet. They are clearly inflamed and sometimes sore. But she has a good covering of fur over them. It is a bit of an odd situation. She has fuciderm but this only seems to be halting the progress. I have started to put megazorb in the litter trays to help prevent urine scald, which I think is probably a contributor. I am also planning to try and wrap the joint end for a week or so to try and give the hair some chance of regrowth. Medi rabbit has instructions on this. From what I have read there is no definitive viewpoint on what flooring is best other than that hard flooring is not very forgiving and cushioning for the feet. I have been going round putting down softer mats everywhere that Flo likes to sit - much to her disgust. And trying to keep the feet dry seems key as well - s no running on damp grass.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:55 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I think it depends on the type of bald spot. I am assuming that you are not talking about the natural bald spots that bun have there.

I was having this conversation with my vet today. Flo bald strips from her hock joint streching halfway down both feet. They are clearly inflamed and sometimes sore. But she has a good covering of fur over them. It is a bit of an odd situation. She has fuciderm but this only seems to be halting the progress. I have started to put megazorb in the litter trays to help prevent urine scald, which I think is probably a contributor. I am also planning to try and wrap the joint end for a week or so to try and give the hair some chance of regrowth. Medi rabbit has instructions on this. From what I have read there is no definitive viewpoint on what flooring is best other than that hard flooring is not very forgiving and cushioning for the feet. I have been going round putting down softer mats everywhere that Flo likes to sit - much to her disgust. And trying to keep the feet dry seems key as well - s no running on damp grass.

I will take a picture when i can and show you. It is where their normal bald spot is, which is why i left it but kept an eye on it. The skin isnt callous, but its quite pink and has got more bald. So its not an issue, but at the same time, i dont want it to become one either. He would go skitz on me if i tried to wrap them though.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:00 pm

I wouldn't use vaseline as it will just soften the skin further. Flo only has cream because her skin is red and inflamed. Otherwise it is all about relieving pressure which means vetbed or a pressure relieving flooring such as pile carpet. Cut back his nails as far as you dare as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 pm

I would never use vaseline. If he had bad hocks that were really sore, i would use hibiscrub/tea tree to wash them and dry the skin out. Im of the opinion now that creams just prevent the hairs that are there from doing their job.

Ive also been told that vet bed increases friction, making matters worse. I did his nails the other day too, aparently he didnt apreciate it Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:14 pm

Really what you want is for them to do the rabbit equivalent of bed rest but you try telling a bun to lie stretched out and stay still for 10 days! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:16 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Really what you want is for them to do the rabbit equivalent of bed rest but you try telling a bun to lie stretched out and stay still for 10 days! Laughing

We could suspend him from the top of the playhouse like Dreamer Laughing He wouldnt have much choice then
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 am

marleyNfriends wrote:I would never use vaseline. If he had bad hocks that were really sore, i would use hibiscrub/tea tree to wash them and dry the skin out. Im of the opinion now that creams just prevent the hairs that are there from doing their job.

Ive also been told that vet bed increases friction, making matters worse. I did his nails the other day too, aparently he didnt apreciate it Laughing

We were told not to use vet bed by our vet when Angel had sore hocks due to friction.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:36 am

Tuckerbunnies wrote:

We were told not to use vet bed by our vet when Angel had sore hocks due to friction.

Laughing
I know, it was you and Mike who told me. Razz ...certainly makes sense though, i think.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:38 am

marleyNfriends wrote:
Tuckerbunnies wrote:

Laughing
I know, it was you and Mike who told me. Razz ...certainly makes sense though, i think.

ROFL ROFL

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 am

I think a variety of surfaces would be the ideal and this is why: In the wild rabbits feet go on all sorts of surfaces. Rocks, grass, wood, leaves and etc. It's like with human feet...if you work long hours on your feet it makes a world of differences if you change shoes or take them off and walk around a bit. It keeps all the muscles exercised and therefore will put pressure on different aspects of the foot...or paw.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:37 am

So should i just not bother then?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 am

The RWA suggest a deep bed of straw as bedding. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/sorehocks.htm

Mike bought some foam from the camping shop and cut it to fit inside a pillowcase and then we put towels over it this made it softer for Angel our bun with sore hocks and made sure the claws were trimmed at all times but you have to be careful if a rabbit is a nibbler with the foam, Angel was a blind bunny and never chewed anything.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:19 pm

petroleum jelly isn't good for buns if it is where they lick
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper