Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking bunny on holiday with you

4 posters

Go down

Taking bunny on holiday with you Empty Taking bunny on holiday with you

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:48 pm

I'm very keen to get more opinions on this subject but please don't think I'm being unfair to the rabbit or cruel, I just wondered if any one had done something similar before?
Basically I'm 19 so still holiday with my mum and dad from time to time. Not abroad I mean in our boat or motorhome. My mum and dad are going away in the motorhome to filey in a few weeks just for 2 nights and asked if I'd come with them. I said I didn't want to leave Alfie yet so they asked why don't I bring him? I'm not taking Alfie don't worry, but it did make me think could he come when he's older? I can't help thinking him coming with me either on the boat for a few days or to the coast is better than taking him to bunny boarding as he'd have to go through an hour driving yes but he'd be with me. Both motor home and boat are big enough for Alfie to have a good sized C & C cage like he has at home. Has anyone ever done anything similar? I absolutely would not doing anything that could badly stress him out, He's worth far too much to me to do that. I'd rather miss out on a mini break or holiday as I did this year. My family went on the Norfolk broads and I chose to stay home alone to be with my babies <3 Couldn't leave them for a week lol Please just say if it's a really bad idea and I'll forget about it :-)

Katie
xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Taking bunny on holiday with you Empty Re: Taking bunny on holiday with you

Post by Jay Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi katie, I don't think it's a bad idea - we've often taken Stewie away with us at week-ends, but I couldn't do that with my last bun, and I think this is the point - it's down to the indivudual - as so many things are.

Personally, I think a boat might freak a rabbit out - it can make us humans quite ickky, and we know what's going on. A bun wouldn't know why it's moving around all the time - which could be scary. The motor home would be a better option, and provided he's secure and can't escape, and you make sure the door's never left open for a fox to pop in, it could work.

If alfie is adaptable, relaxed and un phazed by thing (like Stewie is) then it's something to think about - if he's nervous, skittish, on edge etc, then I suspect he'd be better off in boarding.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Theres no right or wrong answer, I agree with Jay that there is a chance a boat could be more of a problem.

I think it could be different each circumstance, I would think a motorhome could potentially be quite hot in the summer months, especially because you wouldnt want to leave the door open for example. Also if you went away in say august, you could be leaving a bun in the motorhome and it could be so hot, and then if you were out with your parents for say half the day - it could be too hot for him.

However if you went away in say April and you were spending the majority of the time at the motorhome then it could be better, i would just evaluate each scenario before you go and see whats best at that time.

Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:33 pm

I don't see any problem in Alfie going on holiday in a motorhome for a couple of days I know a few people who take their rabbits on caravan holidays, but I would say no to going on a boat with a rabbit.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:39 pm

thanks Jay good answer. I guess I'll wait until he's fully grown and see how he reacts to things then. It hard to say what he'll be like as he's only a baby but I think there's a good possibility for him as he's very into everything and doesn't seem to have been very scared by anything really so far. Only had him 2 weeks and he's already running up to me. He loves me to stroke him for ages but hates being picked up lol rather independent little boy.

Thanks Sarah too. Ye the weather plays an important part I'd not thought about as much. Hard to anticipate in this counrty! lol

The motorhome is kept on our drive so I could always take him in it a few times so he's use to it. So if I ever do decide to go ahead with it he'd at least be in familiar surroundings. Hope I could one day it would be lovely

Oh also I know its a little off subject but at what age is a rabbit considered fully grown? I wonder how big Alfie will get.He's only a mini lop so I'm assuming not too big

xxx
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Katiekoo wrote:The motorhome is kept on our drive so I could always take him in it a few times so he's use to it. So if I ever do decide to go ahead with it he'd at least be in familiar surroundings. Hope I could one day it would be lovely

This would be really useful - give him a chance to scent the place and get familiar with it. This technique is used in the transportation of livestock sometimes, where they spend a few days living in the trailer, or similar, so that when they are transported, they feel less stressed.

As for size, I don't know for sure, my stewie is just about to hit his first birthday and is still growing slightly. I think around a year, but it may be different for different breeds - I'm sure someone else will know that one Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiekoo Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Ye I hoped it would help. So If think Alfie would be ok (not over stressed or scared) what sort of age is best to start introducing him to going away?
Katiekoo
Katiekoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down