Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Litter tray woes

5 posters

Go down

Litter tray woes Empty Litter tray woes

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi all.

I've all but given up putting out a litter tray for Thumper. Over the last couple of years, she has always had the odd wee not in the tray, but now it's a rare occasion when she does use it.

Any thoughts on this?

Could it be down to her age?

Any tips on how I can try and get her using it again?

I'm managing to get her to do it on the towel I have out for her (under which is a shower curtain) but constantly having to chase her back there when I think she's going to wee!

This is proving to be a big issue, I moved into a new house 2 weeks ago and its carpet all the way through, I can't have her weeing everwhere so I'm having to lock her in her cage when I'm at work and overnight, which I hate Sad

another thouht I have is perhaps she's struggling to get in and out if the tray because of sore back legs that come with old age. Do you thing a corner tray rather than a flat one might help?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm at my wits end!

Thanks for any tips/advice.

Last edited by Thumpers Mum on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Trying to fix 2 typos but my phone won't let me scroll down to them!!!)
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Litter tray woes Empty Re: Litter tray woes

Post by NickieM Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:12 pm

I wonder if it is because it is a new house and it doesn't smell like home. If she goes around peeing all over the place, she has claimed it. I think you have to be very patient at the moment and hopefully she will settle down. You could try lots of litter boxes with paper on which she has pee'd so it has her scent. That might persuade her that this is her territory.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 am

I agree with Nickie, although you may find a corner one will help esp if it is easier on her little old leggies.

Good luck hun x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:36 am

Tricky - the move will certianly be making her claim territory, as Nickie said. Corner trays are worth looking at, I used them for my last bun as he had arthritis in his lower back and they were very effective. If you can afford to get a few, do as Nicke says, and put the around the place, with some hay and bits of herbs/vege in, to encourage use.

Have pellets in your pocket at all times when you're home, and every time she does use the try, give her a pellet. She'll learn that tray use reaps rewards Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 am

Hi Nickie,

I had considered this, then ruled it out. But perhaps you are right and I was too quick to rule it out.

I will give your suggestion a go! I am open to any suggestions because I truly hate that she's spending so much time locked in her cage Sad

Thanks for this Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 am

Hi Katie & Jay.

Thanks for the reasurrance about the corner trays, I really had no idea whether it would make matters better or worse.

I don't know why I was so quick to rule out the whole territorial thing. I guess I didn't realise she'd still care at her grand old age!

I will try everything you have both suggested!

Fingers crossed I can get her using it again.

Thanks Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:40 pm

So last night didn't go well. She had a wee on the carpet in the bedroom she sleeps in Sad But ssshhh! Let's not let my o/h find out.

Before that, when I'd only been home for half an hour or so, she did one on the shower curtain at the edge of the towel. The towel stayed dry all evning though.

I gave her an extra litter box, a corner one like mentioned, both with treats in. She found and ate the treats but they both remained clean.

She did however use the litter tray this morning, in the same room that she did it on the carpet. I didn't have any treats with me as I was getting ready for work, so I just made a fuss of her and told her how clever she was Smile

I hope tonight goes better!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Jay wrote:Have pellets in your pocket at all times when you're home, and every time she does use the try, give her a pellet. She'll learn that tray use reaps rewards Smile
...Just make sure you remember to take the pellets out of your pocket before you put em in the wash Laughing

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:29 pm

It's not gonna fix quickly, but routine will help her learn that this is the best option. I wonder if there's been a bunny in your new place befor her, as this is pretty common behaviour for a new bun entering a previously claimed house. Even if it was some time ago, it's a possibility.

Weeing in the bathroom is common, they can smell the amonia from your wee, and replace that, Stewie did that for ages, and still dows every now n then.

If you see her weeing or pooing elsewhere, direct her to the tray. If she poos on the floor, put the poos in the tray and show her them. In the wild, they usually toilet in the same spot, which is why litter training works with rabbits.

Keep us posted, and remain as patient as you are Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Hopefully she will be such a good girl I won't have any pellets left in my pockets Smile

not so long ago she started to wee so I picked her up and put her in one of the trays. Think I put her off going because I've not seen her finish it.

My house is a new build so there can't have been any bunnies before her, unless of course she can smell the wild ones that go about outside, I've seen them! Do you think this could be possible?

She's sound asleep right now, but as soon as she wakes, I'm back on wee-watch!

Thanks guys Smile

EDIT: I think she wants to drink her wee and this is why she's not doing it in the trays. Why might this be??? Yuk! She has access to fresh water at ALL times!

Last edited by Thumpers Mum on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit!)
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down