Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance - I just dont understand it!

+8
EWelchUK
KatieB
Lil & Ron's Mum
NickieM
SarahJane
woodwench
Amelia66
marleyNfriends
12 posters

Go down

Insurance - I just dont understand it! Empty Insurance - I just dont understand it!

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:10 pm

Ive never had to insure anything in my life, ive looked into getting the bunnies insured in the past, asked for help on a forum and i still havent been able to understand whats what. Its all the jargon and small print! Im terrified i get insurance, think im covered, something happens and im not!

As far as im aware, the only place i can get rabbit insurance is with Pet Plan and Pets at Home? Can someone with the patience of a saint explain whats what to the slowest person ever? Wave I have asked on other forums, people have explained, and ive felt too silly to say i still dont understand. So ive never bothered to insure them Embarassed

Im going to look for some quotes now...
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Insurance - I just dont understand it! Empty Re: Insurance - I just dont understand it!

Post by Amelia66 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:18 pm

yep those two and i think here may be one other place. A lot of people recommend petplan.

What they wont cover is normally, vaccinations and spaying. Other than that they will cover you for procedures up to a certain amount stated with you only having to pay a excess. So you pay a small amount and then they pay the rest for you.

Other than that i will let someone with more knowledge tell you more Smile
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Insurance - I just dont understand it! Empty Re: Insurance - I just dont understand it!

Post by woodwench Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Loll is insurred with Petplan and I pay monthly by direct debit. As Amelia66 says insurance won't pay for vaccinations and spaying and as I understand it they won't pay for any ongoing treatment for any illness your bun may be suffering from before you take out the policy.
Your bun is covered for an annual claims amount and a major op could use a huge chunk of that amount.
It's not always worth claiming on smallish bills. I view Loll's insurence as a safety net against a Mega bill. I pay the premiums and forget about it, safe in the knowledge it's there if I need it.
With Petplans monthly payments you can cancel at anytime should the worst happen and not lose maybe several months worth of cash should you have paid for a year ahead. I'm not sure but you may get a deduction for insuring several buns.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Theres pet plan, exotics direct and pets at home as far as I know.

Peanut Butter was insured with Pet Plan, very very good cover, no issues with them at all they paid around £2000 in treatment for him over two years, never quibbled anything, they were fab. the downside is, it cost £12 to start and then cost me £13.50 a month, alot of money when you compare it to dog or cat insurance. When he died they automatically cancelled the policy and were very good, so i cannot fault them, they were just too expensive.

My trio are all insured with Pets at Home, they offer two levels of cover and are much cheaper.

Essentially you have to look at the amount you are quoted per month,and then what the excess is. I think I worked out on pet plan it would cost me £36 per month for all three in total with £60 excess. and with pets at home it was £18 per month with £70 excess, so while I have to pay the first £70 as opposed to just £60 with petplan the month premiums were cheaper which to me seemed more logical. PAH also gave me £30 worth of vouchers and 10% of if I insured more than one pet.

But each plan suits different peoples circumstances.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:58 pm

I was quoted £27 from pet plan. I thought pets at home was expensive, i cant remeber their quote though, but i know the excess was higher. Ill have to have a look when im on my laptop and try and compare everything Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

I have always used Pet Plan and have never had any problem with them. Felix isn't insured because he came with dental problems and a runny eye, both conditions are not insured as they are pre-existing. I put money aside for him every month. However, when I get another bun as company for him, she will be insured right away.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil & Ron's Mum Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:16 pm

My Ron is insured after the thousands I've had to cough up for Lil.
The thing that annoys me is that it's cheaper to insure cats that roam around the streets all night while they are snuggled up watching the soaps on TV,
its so unfair, but hey-o!

Lil & Ron's Mum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:00 pm

I have always used Petplan (with my doggies too) and have always found their service brilliant. Never the smallest quibble.

I made the mistake of not insuring Daisy when I first got him and here I am three years later having racked up almost £3K of vet bills altogether.

So I would advise anyone to get their buns insured. Its well worth it!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by EWelchUK Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 pm

I use Petplan and they have been brilliant. I pay £9.95 per month for Pippin, but it's about £2000 cover. The only things they won't cover as other people have mentioned are vaccinations (which you will have to keep up to date or this will void your insurance, and it's obviously not good for bun either!) and neutering, They also don't cover euthanasia. You have to pay the excess which (I think) is the first £50 of any claim.

We lost our first bun to GI stasis. He survived for almost 2 days where he was under constant care with our vets. I put a claim in for the vets fees, and you can either let the vets deal direct with Petplan, or pay the bill & claim back from Petplan, which is what I did. I was able to trace the claim online, and it was settled really quickly. I paid £50 excess & I think it was £27 for the euthanasia, but all in all it was far less then what we would have paid if he wasn't insured.

Hope this helps!
Emily
EWelchUK
EWelchUK
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks guys. It doesnt sound overly expensive, but mum just said the amount it would cost me to insure my 3 is equvalent to our home and contents insurance!! Shocked

I also cant believe how much they charge compared to dogs/cats. As someone has just said, some cats (and even dogs for that matter!!!) are allowed to just roam around the streets! I spend hundreds on making sure my buns have what they need and are safe and sound, its not fair!

Im going to have to have a sit down with mum and get her to help me. I have direct debits for my brothers phone which should have been transferred ages ago. I need to make a budget and then sort the insurance out once and for all, it is expensive, but i can spend £30+ each month for stuff they dont even need!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Yes, your mum's probably right. My home contents insurance was under £70 and Loll's Pet Plan insurance is £123.48 (per annum). But when taking his insurance on and thinking of the difference I just asked myself, if in the event of a fire what would I try to rescue first?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:19 pm

The bunny! Without a doubt!

Nicely put Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Yeah, reckon I'd risk my neck for the lil varmint. Even though he's sitting here giving me evils cos I couldn't find any fresh, young bunny-fit dandies for his supper. He's had to make do with apple paring instead.

Where can I get insurance against "bunny-stare-trauma"?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:39 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:Thanks guys. It doesnt sound overly expensive, but mum just said the amount it would cost me to insure my 3 is equvalent to our home and contents insurance!! Shocked

That's one of the things that put me off initially, it sounds scarily high. Having said that, in 10 years I've never claimed on house insurance. I have eight bunnies insured and this year so far I've claimed on 6/8 of them Shocked Shocked I would be completely sunk this year without insurance:

7 are insured with Pet Plan and premiums vary between £8 and £12 a month.

This year I've claimed:

Erin - Stasis (about £160) Paid out
Binky - Stasis (about £180) Paid out
Shadow - blood test/investigations (£153) ongoing
Erin - Stasis (£187) Paid out
Esme - Stasis/obstruction (£153) ongoing
Elijah - Stasis (£183) ongoing

So that's 7 months worth, the premiums would be about £380 for that time.

Artie is insured with Pets at Home. They may not pay out because of a pre-existing condition. I've just put a claim in for £844.

... I've never made a claim on my home insurance but this is 7 months for 8 bunnies Shocked Thank goodness I got them insured.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen1980 Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:03 pm

EWelchUK wrote:I use Petplan and they have been brilliant. I pay £9.95 per month for Pippin, but it's about £2000 cover. The only things they won't cover as other people have mentioned are vaccinations (which you will have to keep up to date or this will void your insurance, and it's obviously not good for bun either!) and neutering, They also don't cover euthanasia. You have to pay the excess which (I think) is the first £50 of any claim.

We lost our first bun to GI stasis. He survived for almost 2 days where he was under constant care with our vets. I put a claim in for the vets fees, and you can either let the vets deal direct with Petplan, or pay the bill & claim back from Petplan, which is what I did. I was able to trace the claim online, and it was settled really quickly. I paid £50 excess & I think it was £27 for the euthanasia, but all in all it was far less then what we would have paid if he wasn't insured.

Hope this helps!
Emily

Emily is Pippin a bunny? the best quote I can find with petplan is £12 odd rising to £13.50 ish a month next year
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2008-08-07

http://www.myspace.com/newzealandbunnylover

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Me too love. I have big notices on my doors that if there is a fire, the animals are to be rescued first. Hang the household items, they can be replaced.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down