Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urgent (probably stupid) question re grass

3 posters

Go down

Urgent (probably stupid) question re grass Empty Urgent (probably stupid) question re grass

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:53 pm

I know a guy who accidentally killed his daughters rabbit by letting it out when there was grass seed down, so I've always been wary of grass I let thumper eat.

At the moment she only seems happy to eat grass. I'm in a new property and have been holding off letting her eat the grass because I don't know if it is suitable for bunnies!

It was turf that was put down, probably the second week of June and it has been cut 3 or 4 times.

Do you think it would be safe for her to eat now? Traveling to my mums to get trust-worthy grass isn't really ideal!

Any advice, gratefully received! Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Urgent (probably stupid) question re grass Empty Re: Urgent (probably stupid) question re grass

Post by KatieB Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

I wouldnt like to promise but I think it will prob be okay. If its been cut lots then its unlikely the original grass will still be there even if it was treated with something.

If you can get to your mums might be an idea to bag up a load and pop it in the fridge to help keep it fresh (we do this if we need to cut the lawn).

I think if grass is the only thing she will eat then its important to keep her eating her tummy ticking over.

I really wish I could help more.

Katie x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Urgent (probably stupid) question re grass Empty Re: Urgent (probably stupid) question re grass

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks Katie Smile

I have a wee bit in the fridge but by sheer bad luck, dad had just cut the grass when we got there so we took what was left from under the trees. We got there before the strimmer came out!

She will eat mange tout till the cows come home but she'll just end up with tummy ache, she's not supposed to get too much greens now Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 am

Any other thoughts on this? I've run out of grass from mum's Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:19 am

Do you have woods or a park near you where you could pick some grass? Give it a wash, and it should be fine. The problem with turfed grass is that it usually houses fertilisers, and AFAIK, it's best to leave it 1 season before feeding.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi Jay, just seen this. Hmm, good advice with the turf! We will stay away from that until next year. Thanks Smile

We do have parks around but was also concerned about them being treated with unknown substances.

Mums neighbour is on holiday, I'll just scale the wall ROFL

Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:52 pm

good luck scaling the wall.....the things we do for our babies x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Haha, maybe it's a job for the o/h lol
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down