Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supreme recovery anyone?

5 posters

Go down

Supreme recovery anyone? Empty Supreme recovery anyone?

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Do any of you know anything about Supreme Recovery? The vet nurse mentioned it on the phone today.

Do you think it would help with trying to bulk Thumper up a bit?

Also, do bunnies generally take it easily? Thumper is a fussy twit, she gets really stressed out with fibreplex and I've heard a lot of bunnies like that Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Supreme recovery anyone? Empty Re: Supreme recovery anyone?

Post by 4390evans Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 pm

When I had a chinchilla on deaths door i used this to try and fatten him a bit but made no difference (think he was to far gone). Although everyone recomended it and worked great for there animals. What does she normaly eat?? xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

She gets pellets, carrot, mange tout and grass. She has hay but doesn't eat it!

I'm supposed to give her as little veg as possible now because of her old age but thumper on a no veg diet is not a happy thumper!

It's good to hear that you know it's worked for some and that it is used for this purpose. Sorry it didn't help ur chinchilla Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

I have used it for bunnies and guineas - and also chinchillas. It apparently tastes nice. I have only used it in absolute emergencies, and lost a number of animals, but they were very poorly. The times when it worked, it worked well!
jan
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2011-08-16

http://www.farplace.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks for the info Smile

The nurse did say we can't use it long term but it might be worth a shot for a little while to try and fatten her up. She just gets in such a flap taking any medication that I need to be sure that the benefit out weighs the stress.

She really is becoming a skinny wee thing. Just age taking it's toll I guess Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 pm

I favour critical care fine grind simply because it goes through most syringes easily - it is available from many sources including the Hay Experts. I would try one of the mature options we talked about before first as you want to get the weight increased and maintained. Syringe or soft feeding for a short period may bulk him up but when you stop I would think he runs the risk of loosing the weight straight away again and then becoming dependant on the soft food. Although I give Bruce critical care when he is refusing to eat when his teeth are playing up and once I have got the first bit in he does not need any restraint and he happily takes the food and looks for more when his mouth is empty. But I only usually need to do this once and then he goes to the vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 pm

what about cracker bread?? i feed the rivita with all the seeds one to mine to entice them into my lair so i can catch them to put them to bed, all mine love em x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 am

We use Recovery and Critical Care fine grind and prefer the Critical Care fine grind. When we had Danny and Poppet our bunnies that had tumor's, Poppet didn't eat much at all and so Mike would syringe feed her to put some weight on her, and Danny who ate everything right up to the day we lost him just didn't put any weight on at all and although Mike was syringe feeding him he was really only feeding the cancer as the weight was just falling off him. Danny Bless him loved Critical Care and would lick it out of the dish when syringe feeding him.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:37 am

Is there something physically wrong with bun or does s/he just need bulking up? If its the latter I wouldnt use Critical care, I'd just give a bowl of oats (In water, so they dont swell in her belly) each day & let her eat it herself, rather than stress her out with syringing xx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:48 am

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I'm going to pick up a bag of the mature food at the weekend and we'll see how we got on with that. I've never thought about Rivita but she'd prob take it no bother. Loves bread and toast (which she doesn't get often)

Thumper is an old lady, she is over 10 years old, she has a hernia and a tumor. She's just generally failing Sad But she is still a happy little thing and there is no indication that she is in any pain.

She's just too thin and even though she is a house bun, I want to try and chub her up a bit so she isn't too cold in the winter.

Maysie, I hope the same doesn't happen with her as your Danny Sad that must have been so hard for you guys Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Oh! Will also pick up some oats!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down