Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free range disadvantage!!!

+2
KatieB
lizzi_b
6 posters

Go down

Free range disadvantage!!!  Empty Free range disadvantage!!!

Post by lizzi_b Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Ok so Buttons has been officially free range round the flat for a week now (he's pretty much grasped litter training!) and he loved being able to go under the sofa and climb on all the boxes etc under there, sadly i realised last night when there was a lot of rustling noise that he had nibbled a large hole in a plastic bad and in a fabric bag!!!! Rolling Eyes

Free range disadvantage!!!  P9090036

Free range disadvantage!!!  P9090037

I have put loads of toys and nibble things under there, but he's still not interested in them!! He just seems to love nibbling plastic bags and fabrics!!! Anyone got any tips to stop him? as i can't put the caging up around the sofa, as my BF will go mad and buttons hates them so much he pulls at them and the carpet to try get under there!! also i found lots of shredded bits of the bag on the floor so he at least hasn't eaten them, but i am still worrying what it would do to him if he did!!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Free range disadvantage!!!  Empty Re: Free range disadvantage!!!

Post by KatieB Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Id just lift as much as possible out of the little nibblers way hun. Pop some toys under there instead.

Daisy loves it under the sofa....in fact he lives under a sofa - he has a little bed under there cos he loves it so much, but we make sure there is nothing under there he could munch!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:39 pm

yea ive put loads of toys under there, but he really isn't a nibbler until there is some plastic around!!! Rolling Eyes he is such a little wierdo!!! He pulled the kitchen bin over the other day because of trying to attack the bin bag!!! Laughing

I have moved some stuff out temporarily, but as we are in a 1 bedroom flat, we haven't got much space to store stuff out of the way!! There is a plastic box under there which he can't do much damage to, and seems to like sitting on it, so maybe i need to invest in some more of them!!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:00 pm

My little man has chewed everything in his time, including a few library books!!

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:13 pm

lizzi_blackwell3 wrote: There is a plastic box under there which he can't do much damage to, and seems to like sitting on it, so maybe i need to invest in some more of them!!!

Sounds like a plan. I have just had to patch one of the armchairs as the buns have chewed it whilst waiting to be let out and I dread these darker evenings when the curtains in front of the patio door is closed as they start playing in them and then before you know it they are being chewed.

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:27 pm

You could try some chew stop spray, which you can get in PAH etc

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:01 am

Laughing Cheryl!! Thankfully buttons doesnt seem to chew the curtains (touch wood!) he just tries to climb up them!! I swear he thinks he's a cat!! Laughing

And JoeyBunsMum, I heard that spray doesn't tend to stop them, works for cats and dogs, but apparently bunnies quite like the taste!!! lol!! I bought some citronella oil to dilute and rub on the dining room table and chairs that he seemed to take a liking for and hasn't tried chewing them again since!!! Thumbs Up typical he isnt interested in any wooden chew toys i buy him though!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:10 am

Haha this sounds like mine. They aren't free range in the house, but have their own penthouse down the garden Laughing

They refuse a lot of chew toys and will only bother with them when they are in the way, only to pick them up and throw them.
If I'm emptying the litter bin and the dustbin bag touches the floor for more than 5 seconds they're both there pulling at it and making holes. I just stand there in disbelief as old litter and poo rolls across the floor Rolling Eyes
The hutch stairs, hutch door, ramp, chipboard wall and most impressively, one of two shed doors which is always closed, have been chewed to who knows what. I've just found recently that, that door has a huge chunk out of it and much further and you'll be able to see daylight Hissy
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Have you tried a 'Chew & Chill mat' we have a couple of buns that 'trash' all the time and we get them these mat's and they love them and I have found even the bunnies that are not into toys usually love these to nibble. We get our's from the Hay Experts.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Tunnels%2C+Tents+%252526+Mats.8/Chill+n+Chew+Mat.467.html

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:47 pm

lizzi_blackwell3 wrote: Laughing Cheryl!! Thankfully buttons doesnt seem to chew the curtains (touch wood!) he just tries to climb up them!! I swear he thinks he's a cat!! Laughing

And JoeyBunsMum, I heard that spray doesn't tend to stop them, works for cats and dogs, but apparently bunnies quite like the taste!!! lol!! I bought some citronella oil to dilute and rub on the dining room table and chairs that he seemed to take a liking for and hasn't tried chewing them again since!!! Thumbs Up typical he isnt interested in any wooden chew toys i buy him though!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Trust buns to be difficult eh! Glad the citronella seems to work though Smile

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down